Crappy ops being pumped by fakes

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Crappy ops being pumped by fakes

Old 10-29-2021, 12:51 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2020
Default Crappy ops being pumped by fakes

Not sure how many of you have noticed but a lot of these outfits that people left saying “don’t ever go here” continue getting praise on this forum. Why? You might ask…simple because HR and recruiters from these companies are disguising themselves in an attempt to pump up these crappy operations and make it appear as if they are the best new thing. Just a word from the wise, don’t trust anyone who is on here posting information that sounds good about any 135 or Fractional operation if it isn’t Netjets, ExecJets, Flexjets or XO/Vista. By no means are they the only good operators but they are certainly not a 134.5 operator pretending to be a 135 or real fractional 91.
Old 10-29-2021, 04:24 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Standing in front of the tank with a shopping bag
Thumbs up Very True, USAF>>

Very True, USAF....

Some warning signs of places to avoid are places that advertise "hard" days off in the single digits, but then you find out that those "hard" days off aren't so hard if an owner trip pops up. Another warning sign is a place where you negotiate for your pay... You don't go to AA, UA, DL, UPS, NJA, XO, Flex, etc. and negotiate your pay. The same goes for places that ONLY hire "Street Captains" and there is very little promotion from within. A final warning sign is the classic bait and switch, when you get hired to fly a Latitude, but when you show up Day 1 to INDOC, you have a Phenom 100 Manual sitting next to your name.

On the other hand, I didn't apply to my current company initially because of trolls right here on this website. While some people have very valid gripes with a company and should be listened to by everyone, there are others who failed Initial Training, IOE, or were terminated and have had a vendetta ever since.. We have several of those trolls here, and no matter what good the Company does for these people's former friends and crewmembers, these trolls will never be happy for us and continue their obsessive grudges for years.

So while I recommend APC Forums, the good and the bad, to everyone applying here now (I am a line pilot who helps out with recruiting), one must be able to filter through the hatred and bile AND the sprinkles and unicorns.. Like many things, the truth is usually somewhere in between.. A Company is often never as good nor as bad as its most extreme advocates/detractors claim. Also, if you are under the Age of 50, you should at least CONSIDER Part 121 or the more established Charter or Fractional Operators.

Personally, I am elated that I ignored the trolls and came here. Thank you for your service to our Nation.

Last edited by B727DRVR; 10-29-2021 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-29-2021, 08:05 PM
All is fine at .79

Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: Paahlot

I think there are more fake bad reviews then fake good reviews as there are more bad pilots then managers that can actually take time out of their day and scour the Internet forums.
Bad reviews here are like Yelp.
Old 10-29-2021, 09:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Cool Stop by ISO some time..

Originally Posted by TiredSoul View Post
I think there are more fake bad reviews then fake good reviews as there are more bad pilots then managers that can actually take time out of their day and scour the Internet forums.
Bad reviews here are like Yelp.
You should stop by ISO some time, TiredSoul.. You wouldn't recognize the place. The offices look more like the Google Campus than the small FBO when I started here, LOL.. It's got the same feel, though.. I heard that you guys got a new CBA.. I hope that it is a good one!
Old 10-30-2021, 02:42 AM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

I've seen a number of posts by those discouraging prospects from going to this employer or that...except that those doing the discouraging, never worked there, or won't own up to having done so.

If you're coming from the USAF and taking a 135 job, then your background hasn't prepared you for what you may find, and you may walk away disappointed. If you've never worked for an operator before and that 135 job is the first of your inexperience, then there isn't a large experience base from which to work. Again, one's comments about that employer don't really mean as much.

The use of terms such as "134.5" to reference a 135 operator indicate a lack of understanding of the meaning of the term, which refers to those performing illegal charters, and not to certificate holders.

There are a number of posters who can be found in threads bashing 135 operators, who have very little posting history, and what little they have is often found...bashing 135 operators.

Aviation is full of a wide spectrum of operators, some of whom are stellar, many of whom are decidedly not. This is particularly true of 135 operations, but also true of 121 operations.
Old 10-30-2021, 04:45 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar

Reviews, for the most part, should be taken with a grain of salt. There are some that are spot on, while others are, let’s say, essays assigned from drama composition class instructor. It is essential the prospective employee be an educated consumer.
Old 10-31-2021, 07:16 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2020

I absolutely think this forum is a great place to gain information just as I did and encourage it. Like many others have said take everything with a grain of salt and try to find someone at the company you are considering to chat with to get a better understanding. I can say with certainty that Jet Linx straight up lied to me during the hiring process making promises they had no intention of keeping and using averages of data to sell every fleet when some fleets were home 6-9 days a month other 16+ and calling it 12-14 for everyone. I think the big thing is to not allow these operators to push Covid hiring practices on folks now with the market the way it is. Supply and demand lots of these outfits have stopped selling memberships because they can’t keep up with the demand. Use that to leverage your position. Good luck out there!

Originally Posted by B727DRVR View Post
Very True, USAF....

Some warning signs of places to avoid are places that advertise "hard" days off in the single digits, but then you find out that those "hard" days off aren't so hard if an owner trip pops up. Another warning sign is a place where you negotiate for your pay... You don't go to AA, UA, DL, UPS, NJA, XO, Flex, etc. and negotiate your pay. The same goes for places that ONLY hire "Street Captains" and there is very little promotion from within. A final warning sign is the classic bait and switch, when you get hired to fly a Latitude, but when you show up Day 1 to INDOC, you have a Phenom 100 Manual sitting next to your name.

On the other hand, I didn't apply to my current company initially because of trolls right here on this website. While some people have very valid gripes with a company and should be listened to by everyone, there are others who failed Initial Training, IOE, or were terminated and have had a vendetta ever since.. We have several of those trolls here, and no matter what good the Company does for these people's former friends and crewmembers, these trolls will never be happy for us and continue their obsessive grudges for years.

So while I recommend APC Forums, the good and the bad, to everyone applying here now (I am a line pilot who helps out with recruiting), one must be able to filter through the hatred and bile AND the sprinkles and unicorns.. Like many things, the truth is usually somewhere in between.. A Company is often never as good nor as bad as its most extreme advocates/detractors claim. Also, if you are under the Age of 50, you should at least CONSIDER Part 121 or the more established Charter or Fractional Operators.

Personally, I am elated that I ignored the trolls and came here. Thank you for your service to our Nation.
Old 10-31-2021, 08:54 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by B727DRVR View Post

If you're considering using APC advice for career planning, take a look at the poster's previous post history... if they have some history and sound like a real, rational person who discusses a variety of topics then I'd weight their advice.

If they're a broken record, or have a very short, focused history, then beware.
Old 10-31-2021, 11:21 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Thumbs up Excellent advice, Rick..

Excellent Advice, Rick!

Airline Pilot Central is the gold standard when researching a Company, from comparing Pay, Benefits, QOL, etc. on the Profile page to reading about the positives and negatives regarding a Company on the Forums. There is no better source to research a Company in aviation, IMHO.

But again on the Forum, you must be able to filter through the hatred and bile AND the rainbow sprinkles and unicorns to get a realistic assessment of a Company. But when someone has only 20 total posts on APC, and they are all negative and focused on attacking just one Company, you are most likely dealing with a troll who, like a crazy, obsessed ex, only wants to hurt their former Company and their former fellow crew members. Likewise, if you have someone who only posts unusually good news, one should be skeptical of that as well. As I often quote Eminem’s character’s final rap battle scene from 8 Mile, sometimes admitting to your weaknesses can be a strength.

Thanks for watching over this great Forum!