Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Part Time/Contract Retired 121

Old 01-02-2022, 03:57 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2009
Position: Still in one
Default Part Time/Contract Retired 121

Taking a shot in the dark here, picked this sub-forum because of the volume…..

Recently (early, 62) retired from major 121, looking to continue flying, but not interested in FT. I keep hearing there are lot of opportunities
for part time/contract work these days, and have considerable charter, corp, and fractional experience and types, but not current in any
of the types I flew previously (Lears, King Airs) and would require refresher.

What are the best resources for finding this sort of work? Back in the day (25yrs ago) it was purely contacts, contacts, contacts, but I see now there are several
online pilot hiring resources.

What is the most effective way into this sort of flying? Unfortunately not a lot of contacts in this part of the aviation world any longer. Any suggestions welcome
Old 01-02-2022, 07:19 AM
All is fine at .79

Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: Paahlot

I’m assuming you go the “realtor” way and get your name out there, everywhere.
Probably start with LinkedIn then a handful of pilot looking/pilots wanted websites like this one:

https://bizjetjobs.com/contract-pilot-jobs/

Although I have no idea how secure these sites are with your data.
Probably get a burner phone for those.
Not 100% sure but in the past I’ve been told as a contract pilot you’re expected to pay your own recurrent hence the $1000/day some of these guys charge.
I don’t see your employer scheduling and paying for your recurrent for a pop-up three day.
Old 01-02-2022, 08:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by TiredSoul View Post
I’m assuming you go the “realtor” way and get your name out there, everywhere.
Probably start with LinkedIn then a handful of pilot looking/pilots wanted websites like this one:

https://bizjetjobs.com/contract-pilot-jobs/

Although I have no idea how secure these sites are with your data.
Probably get a burner phone for those.
Not 100% sure but in the past I’ve been told as a contract pilot you’re expected to pay your own recurrent hence the $1000/day some of these guys charge.
I don’t see your employer scheduling and paying for your recurrent for a pop-up three day.
Thanks for the lead. I figured BYO currency would be an issue. Last time I did it was with a previous FT employer I left who then subsequently used me contract, and it worked out well enough where they picked up two recurrents for me. Not willing to plunk down $$$$ just to be eligible

I guess this leaves a PT employer with a training contract for defined amount and duration of availability. I realize it’s all supply and demand but hearing it’s getting tight for crews…….

Last edited by TANSTAAFL; 01-02-2022 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-02-2022, 09:34 AM
All is fine at .79

How about the following blended option:
Apply at a 135, get recurrent and go contract once your first year is up .
Gentleman’s agreement is a year bar any training bonds.
So a recurrent on a second type on your own dime and you should be in business with two current types.
No idea how realistic this is, just a thought.
Some 135 operations have you home based and airline you to wherever the airplane is.
Since propellers belong on boats I’d focus on the jet types.
Old 01-02-2022, 09:46 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2020

I'm in the same boat. 62 and took the early out. Thrilled to be out of the airline these days for reasons I won't go into.

I have a buddy who manages an old 501SP for a wealthy guy. So a mix of 91 and 135 flying. Business has been booming for them since Covid began and they are confident that it will continue. A lot of their pax have expressed an interest in using them again. Apparently, a fairly large group of folks are just done with the airlines and are now chartering instead. I guess if you're traveling with 3-6 people and paying FC fares this option is appealing.

I was lucky enough to find a job at the LOCAL airport so no more commuting and all the associated hassle. I'll be working part-time which is another plus. Mostly day trips.
The pay is per day so if I want to hustle a bit, it pays off. Schedules are set a month out so if I need specific days off, I'll get them. No beeper. No on-call or 'reserve'.

I am headed to Flight Safety next month for initial Citation school (at their expense). They're just that desperate for pilots, though I will have to sign some sort of contract. I have yet to see the specifics but am pretty confident that I actually have a bit of leverage. They've been looking for guys and they're not out there. Most of the young guns are Jonesing for an airline job and the commuters will take just about anyone with the pulse so there's a hell of a vacuum. One of the reasons they like me is that I'm not looking for an airline job!

I'm actually looking forward to it. A little flying, a little cash...what the hell.

Last edited by Bat Guano; 01-02-2022 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-02-2022, 10:52 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Bat Guano View Post
I'm in the same boat. 62 and took the early out. Thrilled to be out of the airline these days for reasons I won't go into…….

I'm actually looking forward to it. A little flying, a little cash...what the hell.
Same here, took my employers early out as well. Things I miss but not near as much as the things I don’t. Your situation is exactly what I’m aiming for. I’ll need to start contacting some of the local 135’s and get a feel of what the lay of the land is for PT work. So different approaching this not as a “starving artist” aspiring pilot looking to build time for the majors
Old 01-02-2022, 11:05 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by TiredSoul View Post
How about the following blended option:
Apply at a 135, get recurrent and go contract once your first year is up .
Gentleman’s agreement is a year bar any training bonds.
So a recurrent on a second type on your own dime and you should be in business with two current types.
No idea how realistic this is, just a thought.
Some 135 operations have you home based and airline you to wherever the airplane is.
Since propellers belong on boats I’d focus on the jet types.
Good tips. Funny, despite having flown nothing but jets for the last 30 yrs I’d be totally fine flying a King Air again if it meant being home at night
Old 01-02-2022, 01:05 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2014

The requirement for a more “genteel” schedule is going to be problematic. Right now, 135 operators (I’ve talked to) are busting their butts with people moving up to better jobs and leaving short staffed companies really short staffed. As you probably know, contracting is a “when do you need me there? I’ll be there” deal.

I am more connected to the large cabin world (due entirely to luck during my furlough) and retirees run into the no PIC over 65 rules in foreign countries thing.

Short answer, you will probably have to buy a recurrent—a full class depending on how long you’ve been out of the seat, and hang out a shingle. There are some websites I can recommend. PM me and I’ll share—sorry, not for public dissemination.

Hope that helps.

TC
Old 01-02-2022, 01:09 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2014

Originally Posted by Bat Guano View Post
I'm in the same boat. 62 and took the early out.
Lucky. I tried at AA but (shock!) only the WB guys and a handful of 64 year old senior NB guys got it.

TC
Old 01-02-2022, 02:06 PM
All is fine at .79

Originally Posted by TANSTAAFL View Post
if it meant being home at night
Now why did you ruin a perfectly good thread by wanting to be home at night?!