Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight OAK runs?

Old 06-28-2007, 08:18 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2007
Position: Fifth floor, window
Default Ameriflight OAK runs?

In my whacked way of getting back into flying and staying locally based I'm thinking about Ameriflight out of Oakland (KOAK). I'm assuming I can get a 99 or other turbine seat, although single pilot in a SA227 or B1900 sans autopilot is kind of wild thinking to this old fart. (as is crossing the hills to RNO at any hour in any weather in a little 'ol PA-31 or 99)

Any OAK based Ameriflight pilots happen to know:

Day or night? Report time/off time? "lay-over " cities. (Thinking of some place where I can ride a bike or do something similar)

Chime in for the above question for any of the OAK based aircraft. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:41 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006

I'm not OAK based, but all of our aircraft have autopilots.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:56 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Auto-pilots are a plus....the lack of a auto-pilot is a pretty widespread urban legend. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:16 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2006

Originally Posted by wildcat1 View Post
I'm not OAK based, but all of our aircraft have autopilots.
I believe only one AMF 99 has an autopilot.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:30 AM
Gets Weekends Off

RE: one auto-pilot out of 40+ 99's. Well, that's one step foward and two steps back. Is it MEL'd? Oh, if we're getting into the nitty gritty how many are C models versus the real pre-cambrian A model fossils?

But back to the runs and the layover cities....
Old 06-30-2007, 01:56 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: Sofa Stress Tester

All of AMF 99 are either B or C models. If they are earlier models them they have been modified to the B version. But if my memory serves me correctly we don't have any A or earlier 99's. As of right now only 1 99 has a autopilot. They say their trying to get all the 99 with auto's, but I'll believe it when I see it. I'd much rather them install GPS. The 1900's and Metro's have autopilots and they do work, and AMF will repair them. Since AMF is hurting for pilots you may be able to swing a 99 slot out of OAK, but you might have to be out-stationed. Most 99 flying is out of Sacremento-Mather for UPS. Their out-stations are places like Merced and Redding. Although last I heard, OAK was shrinking.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:57 PM
Banned

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: FO
Default Hi

I have an interview in BUR on July 3, 2007. It will be held with J. Collet @ BUR 10 AM. Am trying out for the EMB 120 - FO Slot. (KCHO) in VA. KVNY is my home airport this is my backyard though am ready for bigger and better and different stuff!

1460TT
127MEL
2 Turbine

My qualifications include:

• Commercial Pilot: Airplane Single and Multi-Engine Land – Instrument Airplane
• Certified Flight Instructor: Airplane Single-Engine Land
• Complex, High Performance, High Altitude
• FAA-ATP 121 Written Complete: Passed / Valid
• Formal CRM, RVSM, Collins 4200 FMS and Glass EFIS Training
• USAF Aviation Physiology & Altitude Chamber, Beale AFB, CA
• FCC Restricted Radio Telephone Operator
• U.S. Department of Homeland Security: Trained & Certified
• First Class Medical: No Limitations
• USA Passport
• California State University Northridge: Bachelor of Arts Degree in Geography: Graduation December, 2004
• GIS Certificate: Geographical Information Systems (GIS), special emphasis in Cartography

PM if you have info on the interview and/or sim.

Already reviewing aviationinterview.com

TTYL
Old 06-30-2007, 06:11 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Sir Ziggy:

If OAK is shrinking (at least for 99's) Then maybe a possible plan B. How many Metro's out of OAK? I've seen several there rather regularly, or is that shrinking too? (I first asked about the 99 because its less of a handful single pilot than a Metro) I gather I sound like a sublime fool asking for OAK right out of the hat and now for the Metro. Well, I live there, I've already have 500+ in the Metro (SIC) and other multi turbine time. But I just can't pack myself up and move for wages like that, even if its close by like Mather. I prefer (or have to?) to stay in the Bay Area, I've got my situation all set-up, except of course a flying gig.

Finally, what sorts of runs and out-stations does the Metro do out of Oakland? I imagine crossing the hills is a regular thing - which is preferable in the Metro than a 99.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:54 AM
Line Holder

Autopilot is nice until you start picking up the ice crossing the Sierras to RNO.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:14 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: Sofa Stress Tester

Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
Sir Ziggy:

If OAK is shrinking (at least for 99's) Then maybe a possible plan B. How many Metro's out of OAK? I've seen several there rather regularly, or is that shrinking too? (I first asked about the 99 because its less of a handful single pilot than a Metro) I gather I sound like a sublime fool asking for OAK right out of the hat and now for the Metro. Well, I live there, I've already have 500+ in the Metro (SIC) and other multi turbine time. But I just can't pack myself up and move for wages like that, even if its close by like Mather. I prefer (or have to?) to stay in the Bay Area, I've got my situation all set-up, except of course a flying gig.

Finally, what sorts of runs and out-stations does the Metro do out of Oakland? I imagine crossing the hills is a regular thing - which is preferable in the Metro than a 99.
OAK should be relatively easy to get hired into. Unfortunately, Metro's/1900's on the west coast are very senior. OAK really has lost alot of flying in the past couple of years and to my knowledge only a couple of metro's are there for reserve purposes. OAK is a sorting base of the west coast, so all the mid-night runs end up there. Those are metro's out of BUR and SEA. If you are really intent on getting an OAK base, then chieftain is probably where you'll end up. I hate to say it, but if your intent is to stay in OAK then you may want Skywest out of SFO or some other local regional airline. But if cargo is your forte' then you should really go to the AMF base in OAK and talk to the chief pilot directly. He'll be able to give the current info and a more realistic perspective.