Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Wheels Up consulting Bankruptcy Advisors

Old 05-10-2023, 11:45 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2017
Position: Retired NJA & AA
Default Wheels Up consulting Bankruptcy Advisors

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-n...ource=hs_email

-CNBC is saying after an additional 21% stock price drop the company is consulting bankruptcy advisors

-Warren Buffet says clients who prepaid for block hours at WU are "going to be disappointed"

-Lawsuits are being filed over the restatement of 2022 financial results

-Kenny Dichter is receiving a VERY nice exit package. Keeps getting his $80K/month salary for the next 2 years, an immediate lump sum payment of $3M, 100 hours of flight time in WU aircraft (a questionable benefit at this point), and some stock options.
Old 05-18-2023, 01:08 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Default Video Review of WU's Problems

https://youtu.be/sBhpqZFYICQ

The video is embedded in this article in case it won't load directly:

https://bjtonline.com/business-jet-n...ource=hs_email

Good 14 minute overview of the current WU situation with reporter Mark Huber who has closely followed the company. His opinion is WU will be out of money in 3.5 months and will have to file bankruptcy.

He thinks the customers who have pre-paid for a bunch of block hours will wind up getting less than 10 cents on the dollar. Customers do have an option to use WU block hours to buy 1st class tickets on Delta and the reporter says this should make Delta very nervous.
Old 05-19-2023, 07:25 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2014
Position: B767, Captain

Originally Posted by AirBear View Post

-CNBC is saying after an additional 21% stock price drop the company is consulting bankruptcy advisors

-Warren Buffet says clients who prepaid for block hours at WU are "going to be disappointed"

-Lawsuits are being filed over the restatement of 2022 financial results

-Kenny Dichter is receiving a VERY nice exit package. Keeps getting his $80K/month salary for the next 2 years, an immediate lump sum payment of $3M, 100 hours of flight time in WU aircraft (a questionable benefit at this point), and some stock options.
Once the rumors fly it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.
Old 06-01-2023, 04:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Center seat, doing loops to music

I found the interview very compelling. I wonder about the customer demographic for WU and to what degree that may be indicative of a Potemkin village type economic situation, highlighted by the degree to which our society continues to exercise large inelasticity of demand in the face of very high inflation, so long as their credit lines are floated. WU going into BK may be one of many upcoming canaries in the much anticipated headwinds of a late 2023 economic slow down.

I don't know about the Delta angle. I can't see those contracts being worth a hill of beans once the BK filing is made. That's the point of the filing in the first place. I don't think DL is worried about it frankly, certainly not to feel compelled to infuse the company, though I'm not privy to the details of those block purchase contracts.
Old 06-01-2023, 08:41 PM
Gets Weekends Off

"Jet It" Fractional just suddenly shut down and laid off all employees. Honda Jet owners are screwed, many of the jets are locked in hangers waiting for liens to be cleared. They'll take major losses on their shares. This can't give WU customers a warm fuzzy.

Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
I found the interview very compelling. I wonder about the customer demographic for WU and to what degree that may be indicative of a Potemkin village type economic situation, highlighted by the degree to which our society continues to exercise large inelasticity of demand in the face of very high inflation, so long as their credit lines are floated. WU going into BK may be one of many upcoming canaries in the much anticipated headwinds of a late 2023 economic slow down.

I don't know about the Delta angle. I can't see those contracts being worth a hill of beans once the BK filing is made. That's the point of the filing in the first place. I don't think DL is worried about it frankly, certainly not to feel compelled to infuse the company, though I'm not privy to the details of those block purchase contracts.
Old 06-23-2023, 12:27 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Default WU Stock Plunges on BK Rumors

They already did a 10-1 stock split to avoid delisting. That got the stock to over $3. Now it's dropped 60% ($3.13 to $1.24) on rumors WU was in talks with a law firm that specializes in Bankruptcy restructuring. Trading in shares was briefly halted.

Delta has a big stake in WU and should they step in and assume control they'll be on the hook for $1B in pre-paid flight hours.

Old 07-05-2023, 11:43 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Default WU Execs get Huge Pay Raises

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-n...lNbSgvMJp9WrIw

Huge pay raises and stock options to the top execs at Wheels Up. And at a time when they're consulting bankruptcy advisors.