Go Back   Airline Pilot Central Forums - Find your next job as a Pilot > >
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

User Tag List
KingairEMS

Old 11-07-2018, 07:15 AM   #1101  
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2015
Position: Gear slinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino87 View Post
I passed the 1200hr mark last month, meet all the other part 135 requirements: night, X-C, IFR, with 70 multi, (short of the 150 - 300 hrs multi requirement I've been seeing for ISR work). I should have 1500 by April. Since I'm over 50 I don't have a lot of time left to fly for the airlines, however, I wanted to pursue ISR work.

Based upon the advice I'm seeing here, am I correct in assuming the best option is still to go to a Regional for a year, or two, get the 1000 SIC, maybe even get the PIC time and then re-apply for ISR?

The one reason why I hesitate is losing my clearance when I leave my present job to go to to the airlines since some companies want you to have it before they will hire you.
If you have little/no interest in the airlines and want to do ISR and have the clearance, apply to ISR.

There are a lot of folks over 50 who do ISR until they hang up the spurs. One thing that would probably help you in the interview is expressing that you have zero ambition to go to the airlines. The ISR companies lose between 30-60% of their pilot group yearly, so having the opportunity to pickup someone from a demographic that tends not to leave the industry may work in your favor.
Otterbox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:08 AM   #1102  
On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterbox View Post
If you have little/no interest in the airlines and want to do ISR and have the clearance, apply to ISR.

There are a lot of folks over 50 who do ISR until they hang up the spurs. One thing that would probably help you in the interview is expressing that you have zero ambition to go to the airlines. The ISR companies lose between 30-60% of their pilot group yearly, so having the opportunity to pickup someone from a demographic that tends not to leave the industry may work in your favor.

I'm sure this ask been asked previously, but this thread is huge: How realistic is getting this job without the clearence? I've been in the aerial survey industry for a few years now, PIC, solo pilot, all that stuff, and want more money.
jcullen4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:03 AM   #1103  
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcullen4 View Post
I'm sure this ask been asked previously, but this thread is huge: How realistic is getting this job without the clearence? I've been in the aerial survey industry for a few years now, PIC, solo pilot, all that stuff, and want more money.
Its not nearly as hard as it used to be, especially if you have some king air time. The ISR operators are hurting for pilots like everyone else. Throw an app in and see what happens.
KA350Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:20 PM   #1104  
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcullen4 View Post
Don't know about all the companies, but L3 will not pay for it if you're applying as an SIC. If you're hired as a PIC they might sponsor it but YOU will pay for it in the form of a significantly reduced salary. That being said, that information is 6 months old.
StandardBrief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:00 PM   #1105  
New Hire

Question

Thanks to everyone for sharing their information on this thread. Here's a question I haven't seen yet- have any of the ISRs ever hired anyone over age 65?
Yes, I am ex-military so I think I know what I'm getting in to. Although my TS expired many years ago, I'm hopeful it won't be a problem.
Thanks in advance.
HeavyIronDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:42 AM   #1106  
On Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyIronDad View Post
Thanks to everyone for sharing their information on this thread. Here's a question I haven't seen yet- have any of the ISRs ever hired anyone over age 65?
Yes, I am ex-military so I think I know what I'm getting in to. Although my TS expired many years ago, I'm hopeful it won't be a problem.
Thanks in advance.
MAG hires over 65.
StandardBrief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:06 AM   #1107  
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2017
Position: DashTrash. King Air 90/200 PIC

Quote:
Dynamic does as well.

"I'm sure this ask been asked previously, but this thread is huge: How realistic is getting this job without the clearence?"

Pretty easily. As KA350 said every year folks leave so hiring seems to be constantly open. I was hired without a clearance and only waited 3mo for the interim.
Varietyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:51 AM   #1108  
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2015
Position: Gear slinger

Quote:
Thanks in advance.
Its possibly but it depends on the limitations in the specific contract won by the company.

I know of a guy who retired from AA then went MAG.
Otterbox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 05:01 AM   #1109  
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2017
Default Commuter Air Tech

CAT: where is there forum or pilots?
V22Plopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 05:30 AM   #1110  
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by V22Plopter View Post