Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Berry Aviation anyone?

Old 05-01-2013, 07:39 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Ungh... I sign the log

Ran into a couple of berry crews a few weeks ago on the road. They were flying metros and just got an EMB120 with another on the way. The FO to the emb was a little exhausted said they only had two capt and an fo on the emb so it made for not much time off. Standard 135 freight gig, live on the pager, fly fly fly, get to the hotel and live on the pager. Sounds like a decent way to build time if you're around that part of TX.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:23 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2011

Originally Posted by Systemized View Post
I found an add on the internet for Berry. I heard they are doing a 14on/14off schedule.

Metro PIC Mins:
3000TT
2000PIC
1200 ME
500 PIC ME
ATP

Metro SIC Mins:
1200TT
50 ME
14 on 14 off LMAO!!!! yeah right.... more like 27 on 4 off..
Old 06-01-2013, 05:42 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: Chair Flying

Originally Posted by Z06Abuser View Post
14 on 14 off LMAO!!!! yeah right.... more like 27 on 4 off..
Really?
Old 06-20-2013, 01:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: 121,1825,135,CFI, CFII, MEI

5 on 2 off now
Old 02-09-2014, 11:22 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2012
Position: 206

I heard these guys are doing government contract flying in Africa now with their Dash 8s.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:47 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Mar 2014

I wonder what the guys flying in Africa have to say about schedules and quality of life, etc?
Old 04-18-2014, 05:41 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007

Ask them about their pay too.

Originally Posted by pilot23 View Post
I wonder what the guys flying in Africa have to say about schedules and quality of life, etc?
Old 08-18-2014, 10:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007

Any updates on them hiring ect?
Old 10-07-2015, 04:46 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2012
Position: Gear Operator
Default Berry Aviation Info

I'm currently a captain in the EMB120 at Berry aviation and figured I'd shed some light on this thread, since it's pretty inadequate. Currently, the company has 2 bases - HYI (San Marcos, TX) and CGF (Cleveland, OH) with rumors about an ELP base, though I'm not sure about that. We do on-demand cargo - which means we fly car parts 99% of the time. This means we fly nationwide, Canada and Mexico. We do a lot of night flying, which can be rough for some people. The whole company is large, with most of the business revolving around DoD stuff overseas. That stuff is nearly always ex-military and they usually don't hire street guys for it. The cargo op is a separate branch of the company.

The pay is very good for the industry. FO's start out at $32k base salary, $.10/mile, $200 day off pay and $15/hr wait time pay. Captains start at $45k, $.20/mile and $300 day off pay and $30/hr wait time. Yearly raises are $2,000 base and $.02/mile. Per diem is crappy, $24/day, but you make plenty of money so it doesn't hurt too bad.

For perspective, I flew 587 hours in the last year. The Brasilia does 290 kts true, so that's roughly 170,000 NM in a year. We get paid in statute miles, so 195,500 SM at (year 3 captain's pay) $.24/mile that's 46,920 on top of my (year 3) base, $49,000, that's $95k a year, not including day-off pay, per diem or wait time pay. For a year-one captain that would be $84k and for a new FO that same amount of miles would equal roughly $51k/year. Hence a lot of our guys eschewing the regionals to get time and experience and also get paid a living wage.

As for the company... it's an aviation company. Anyone can find a reason to complain, I have worked for a few and it's overall a very good one. They treat us well, the planes get good maintenance, etc. We stay in good hotels - Hamptons and Holiday Inn Express, etc. I have had my issues with the chief pilot, but overall the morale among pilots is very good. Upgrades are based on performance, with time at the company taken into consideration. Captains fill out forms about the FO's to determine who is best to upgrade. If needed, the company will hire street captains. Schedule is the number one complaint, but that really just depends on the person. We are ON - meaning "on call" - Monday though Friday with weekends off. If you are on the road on a Friday they will either re-position the plane or airline you home. Every 3rd weekend you are on call as well, in which case they can opt to leave you on the road. Sometimes they'll still send you home, weekends in this industry are pretty dead. A lot of the time, if it's slow, you'll be home all week, or a good portion of it. You can't really DO anything because you're on a short call out - 30 minutes - but you are home. I have a family, so that works ok for me. I get to see them more than I would at any other job. In looking at my per-diem for last year I was home over half the year. After the first year you get vacation as well. All in all, it's a good company and a good job. Living in Central Texas, right between Austin and San Antonio and flying a great, large, turbo-prop for VERY respectable pay, with weekends off. Thankfully, the Metros are gone too!!
Old 10-09-2015, 07:08 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2011
Position: DHC-8 100/300

Originally Posted by dmk1984 View Post
I'm currently a captain in the EMB120 at Berry aviation and figured I'd shed some light on this thread, since it's pretty inadequate. Currently, the company has 2 bases - HYI (San Marcos, TX) and CGF (Cleveland, OH) with rumors about an ELP base, though I'm not sure about that. We do on-demand cargo - which means we fly car parts 99% of the time. This means we fly nationwide, Canada and Mexico. We do a lot of night flying, which can be rough for some people. The whole company is large, with most of the business revolving around DoD stuff overseas. That stuff is nearly always ex-military and they usually don't hire street guys for it. The cargo op is a separate branch of the company.

The pay is very good for the industry. FO's start out at $32k base salary, $.10/mile, $200 day off pay and $15/hr wait time pay. Captains start at $45k, $.20/mile and $300 day off pay and $30/hr wait time. Yearly raises are $2,000 base and $.02/mile. Per diem is crappy, $24/day, but you make plenty of money so it doesn't hurt too bad.

For perspective, I flew 587 hours in the last year. The Brasilia does 290 kts true, so that's roughly 170,000 NM in a year. We get paid in statute miles, so 195,500 SM at (year 3 captain's pay) $.24/mile that's 46,920 on top of my (year 3) base, $49,000, that's $95k a year, not including day-off pay, per diem or wait time pay. For a year-one captain that would be $84k and for a new FO that same amount of miles would equal roughly $51k/year. Hence a lot of our guys eschewing the regionals to get time and experience and also get paid a living wage.

As for the company... it's an aviation company. Anyone can find a reason to complain, I have worked for a few and it's overall a very good one. They treat us well, the planes get good maintenance, etc. We stay in good hotels - Hamptons and Holiday Inn Express, etc. I have had my issues with the chief pilot, but overall the morale among pilots is very good. Upgrades are based on performance, with time at the company taken into consideration. Captains fill out forms about the FO's to determine who is best to upgrade. If needed, the company will hire street captains. Schedule is the number one complaint, but that really just depends on the person. We are ON - meaning "on call" - Monday though Friday with weekends off. If you are on the road on a Friday they will either re-position the plane or airline you home. Every 3rd weekend you are on call as well, in which case they can opt to leave you on the road. Sometimes they'll still send you home, weekends in this industry are pretty dead. A lot of the time, if it's slow, you'll be home all week, or a good portion of it. You can't really DO anything because you're on a short call out - 30 minutes - but you are home. I have a family, so that works ok for me. I get to see them more than I would at any other job. In looking at my per-diem for last year I was home over half the year. After the first year you get vacation as well. All in all, it's a good company and a good job. Living in Central Texas, right between Austin and San Antonio and flying a great, large, turbo-prop for VERY respectable pay, with weekends off. Thankfully, the Metros are gone too!!
That is very very respectable for a TP on demand operation. Beats a lot of Falcon gigs too.