Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ferry Pilot Questions (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/16828-ferry-pilot-questions.html)

Mitragorz 09-12-2007 06:27 AM

Ferry Pilot Questions

Hey guys, I'm interested in doing a few ferry flights on my own, but I've got a few questions. The aircraft will all be airworthy, have all necessary certificates and inspections, it would simply be delivering an a/c from the old owner to the new owner.

1) Is this considered 135? It seems that this kind of activity could be viewed as an "on demand" operation.

2) Are there any special forms that I'd need to fill out? Like I said, the a/c is airworthy and inspected, so I don't think I'll need any waivers, but is there anything else that I'm overlooking?

3) Is it legal for me to advertise? I know the regs prohibit "holding out", but according to this website: http://www.geocities.com/cfidarren/cpinfo.htm it appears as though it only applies to flying people. Can I put out an ad in the internet offering to ferry peoples' planes, or am I still breaking FARs? No people, just airplanes.

Thanks for the help guys.

-Nick

Ewfflyer 09-12-2007 07:38 AM

Ferry pilot is strictly 91. You are being paid to deliver the aircraft, not carry pax or freight for hire. Even if you were, as long as they were paying you to fly their airplane, and it was at their expense, it's still part 91.

Mitragorz 09-12-2007 08:45 AM

So then me advertising is still legal, right? I'm not breaking any regs by "holding out."

de727ups 09-12-2007 09:53 AM

I don't see why. It's fine as long as you are not carrying pax or boxes for compensation.

The whole "holding out" thing, in my mind, has to do with 135 flying. Ferrying empty airplanes has nothing to do with that.

Mitragorz 09-12-2007 10:18 AM

Yeah, personally, I found it confusing, even when I went through my Comm training... and the fact that it's been so long since then just makes it worse!

I didn't know if the airplane itself would be considered "cargo" or not, since that it what I'd be transporting for hire.

cessna126 09-12-2007 02:40 PM

Holding out as I know it, is only if you are advertising your services and your airplane. If you just advertise your service as a commercial pilot you are doing nothing wrong.

timnunes 09-12-2007 02:47 PM

Get your FAR/AIM out and look up 119.1

It lists Ferry Flights as something you are allowed to do with your commercial pilot certificate. Everything else on the list you can advertise (like being a flight instructor, doing sight seeing flights, doing photo flights, etc.) so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to advertise your services.

If you still aren't convinced, ask your local FSDO.

Mitragorz 09-12-2007 04:51 PM

No, I'm pretty convinced now :)

Thanks guys, for clearing this up.

kerns bbo 09-19-2007 05:32 PM

Yes you can list yourself as a professional pilot for hire. Yes you can do it under part 91 rules. You will need to list your income earned to the IRS as a "buisness owner" and will pay taxes on it at the end of the year.

cpatterson19 03-24-2009 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by kerns bbo (Post 233419)
Yes you can list yourself as a professional pilot for hire. Yes you can do it under part 91 rules. You will need to list your income earned to the IRS as a "buisness owner" and will pay taxes on it at the end of the year.

Forgive the part 121 pilot here. This is something i never understood. I know this thread is old but I will revive it. I have always wondered if when i was a private pilot and was trying to build time if it was wrong for me to advertise my service to carry people as long as I didnt recieve payment but they just paid half the expense. Can anyone shed light on this? Can you as a Private Pilot carry pax as long as you are not gaining payment but just carrying them while incurring half the cost. So you are not for hire.