Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Airnet Questions

Old 10-05-2007, 05:52 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2007

By picky do you mean base or schedule? I am looking to stay in Columbus and I'm trying to decide between airlines or Airnet so I was just trying to get an idea of the upgrade time and see how it compares to some of the regionals. I think I would like the part 135 flying better just not so sure about flying all night. Would I even be able to get LCK right away?
Old 10-06-2007, 06:28 AM
Asst. Traveling Secretary

Joined APC: Mar 2007

Just to make sure you are on the same page...You'll need to spend about a year in the props before you'll even be a Lear SIC.
Columbus is a very senior jet base.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:50 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: SAABster

Originally Posted by AviationStudent View Post
I am looking at starting flight school in March, and am looking at starting my career with Airnet. I have just noticed that they changed to have no published mins. On their pay section of their website they use an example of some one coming into Airnet with 500tt and going through their FO program for about 7 months. Do you see a lot of 500tt people coming through the FO program? Since the mins are gone are you seeing more people with less then 500tt coming on? I was also wondering how long do people stay on at Airnet? I am currently thinking about working with them for 5-7 years to get at least 5000 Lear PIC time before I leave. Is this a good idea? To long? Not enough? All information would be greatly appreciated.
Where do you plan on going???
Old 10-07-2007, 04:51 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: LJ35 PIC

Originally Posted by Niner View Post
By picky do you mean base or schedule? I am looking to stay in Columbus and I'm trying to decide between airlines or Airnet so I was just trying to get an idea of the upgrade time and see how it compares to some of the regionals. I think I would like the part 135 flying better just not so sure about flying all night. Would I even be able to get LCK right away?
By picky I mean Base. People have upgraded at AirNet in after about 6 months in the right seat of the Lear, but only because they didn't care where they end up. If you are going to stay in Columbus it will probably take longer. Getting a LCK SIC spot shouldn't take too long. My best guess 10-14 months. If you are set on staying in LCK, again my best guess, it will probably take 12 18 months. Now keep in mind in the last 6-8 months we have lost about 7 PIC's system wide to other Airlines. I don't see that we are going to be able to slow that down any time soon. More than likely it will get worse!
Old 10-07-2007, 05:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: DHC-8 SIC

if my goal is to get into a fractional like Netjets, CS, or Flexjet, would working for a place like Airnet increase my chances over working for a regional?
Old 10-07-2007, 05:54 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: Airplanes

This all assuming that Airnet will even be in business by the time you get enough experience and time to apply. Airnet is a dying ship with very little chance of recovery. We've hired a lot of their pilots and have actually implemented a Airnet hiring ban because too many of their pilots were trying to get on with our company (strange deal b/t their DO and ours and some other factors). Airnet is shedding runs about as fast as Brittaney is losing her kids. Keep your options open and network. SIC time in a Baron is worthless as hell. Work as an instructor and build some PIC time. Nothing builds experience like being the one in charge. Learn to make decisions. I can still tell who has instructed and who hasn't.

Good luck with flight school, but still consider another career before you get too far into this.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:08 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: DHC-8 SIC

Thanks for your response Macjet. Well, this is a childhood dream so I just have to give it a shot and see how it goes. I am keeping my options wide open though...I hear a lot of wining about working for regionals, but I think everybody's entitled to their opinion. Right now, I am trying to get as much info as possible from places like this, so I can make a wise decision when I am ready. I see you fly a Lear, must be cool!
Old 10-07-2007, 09:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

If this is a childhood dream then make it happen. Stay focused and give it everything that you have.

Do understand that there are more crooks in aviation then probably any other field outside of attorneys. Most flight schools are interested in only your money. Ask the hard questions. Get everything in writing. Don't believe that someone has a "fast track" that no one else has. If it looks too good to be true then it probably is. Borrow as little money as possible. It's hell making payments when you live below the poverty line.

Good luck and fly safe.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:22 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by PearlPilot View Post
if my goal is to get into a fractional like Netjets, CS, or Flexjet, would working for a place like Airnet increase my chances over working for a regional?
I'd say no. NetJets has hired a significant number of regional pilots in the past two years.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:32 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2005
Position: CRJ-900 FO, Supra left seat

Originally Posted by Ewfflyer View Post
Flight instructing is good for you, and it will make you a better pilot. That's really all I have to say.
Ditto and enough said