Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

f16jetmech 03-08-2011 03:01 PM

ameriflights website officially now states they are accepting resumes.... trickle down effect... 1 starts hiring and they all do

CptMrgn 03-14-2011 09:16 AM

Any word on turbine openings from the street, is everyone comfy where they're at?

undflyboy06 03-14-2011 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by CptMrgn (Post 963800)
Any word on turbine openings from the street, is everyone comfy where they're at?

Highly unlikely. There will be plenty of movement on the inside with people starting to leave. If you want turbine you will have to fly the mighty Chieftain for a few months. With the attrition level starting to rise you will most likely be in the Chieftain for a few months before you get in a 99. To get in a 99 you will most likely have to move, and I would say forget about the 1900 or Metro. To many senior people in the company willing to move for those.

Good Luck.

CptMrgn 03-15-2011 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by undflyboy06 (Post 963826)
Highly unlikely. There will be plenty of movement on the inside with people starting to leave. If you want turbine you will have to fly the mighty Chieftain for a few months. With the attrition level starting to rise you will most likely be in the Chieftain for a few months before you get in a 99. To get in a 99 you will most likely have to move, and I would say forget about the 1900 or Metro. To many senior people in the company willing to move for those.

Good Luck.

Thanks! Looks like I might have to suck it up in the Chieftan. Although that's a pretty cool plane too! Nothing like a couple of turbo'd Lycomings singing through the night!

Scooter2525 03-15-2011 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by CptMrgn (Post 963800)

Dunno anything about your previous experience, but going through AMFs PA-31 program and develop your skills in that aircraft, will greatly prepare you to fly the 99 and others. Chieftain is a challenging airplane to fly.

CptMrgn 03-16-2011 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Scooter2525 (Post 964880)
Dunno anything about your previous experience, but going through AMFs PA-31 program and develop your skills in that aircraft, will greatly prepare you to fly the 99 and others. Chieftain is a challenging airplane to fly.

I'm sure it's great!

f16jetmech 03-16-2011 08:21 AM

I am a very pro-active person and really look ahead to what i want to do with my career. I have been on and off the AMF trip quite a bit. (Corp vs. 135 vs. 121). In terms of family life... how is AMF? I really like the idea of AMF and the equipment they fly, but moving to the west coast on one income with a kid and wife is next to impossible, and undesireable. Is this a single mans job? I would love to work for a company such as AMF but the QOL for a married man with a 5 month old looks rough

own nav 03-16-2011 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by f16jetmech (Post 965067)
I am a very pro-active person and really look ahead to what i want to do with my career. I have been on and off the AMF trip quite a bit. (Corp vs. 135 vs. 121). In terms of family life... how is AMF? I really like the idea of AMF and the equipment they fly, but moving to the west coast on one income with a kid and wife is next to impossible, and undesireable. Is this a single mans job? I would love to work for a company such as AMF but the QOL for a married man with a 5 month old looks rough

You might find outstation based routes appealing.

undflyboy06 03-16-2011 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by f16jetmech (Post 965067)

I'm not to familiar with Oakland, but Portland wasn't bad at all. When you start out you will be on a bank run. Typically, your show time is around 6:50 AM for the normal bank runs, and 5:50 AM for the early bank runs. Plan on spending anywhere from 8-9 hours for your layover and getting back into base around 6:30-7:00 PM, and home around 8:00 PM. It's not much time home, but you will be able to spend a few hours before you go to bed, and home every night. Most bank runs are M-F with Saturday and Sundays off, plus bank holidays.

Outstations are a totally different animal. You live in your outstation, and spend nights in base. You're week starts Monday evenings and generally run to Saturday Mornings. You then get the rest of Saturday through Monday evenings off, but during the week you sleep in a different bed either at a crew apartment or hotel.

Scooter2525 03-16-2011 01:04 PM

Depends on how much your wife can handle. I was single for part of my AMF life and it was easier on the budget/lifestyle. However the ROI with AMF is a good one. Majority of people move on to charter/air ambulance/aerial firefighting etc. Go the Regional route, its generally the game plan to go onto majors or similar. Can't speak for all 135 ops, but its generally a challenge to go from that to flying air ambulance and probably some charters. Single pilot IFR skills are a thing to highlight on a resume.