Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011

Quick AMF question but didn't want to start a whole new thread.

I'm probably at least 18 months away from hitting 135 ifr mins but as soon as I do I'm applying to AMF as my first choice. I live right next to the PDX base and was wondering if it would be a good idea to try and go in for a visit, tell them I'm a local low time pilot just interested in checking out their base and maybe talking to a few pilots. What kind of response do you think I'll get? I am planning on calling the base but I wanted to try and get some opinions on here before I do.

Also, does anyone have any info on AMF and hazardous cargo? One of their B1900 guys I met told me that certain runs haul some items that could be potentially bad for your health. Anyone else heard or know anything about this?

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2011, 05:04 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2010
Position: SA227, left seat

Originally Posted by TangoBar View Post
PDX has a good mix of equipment- PA-31, BE-99, 1 BE-1900, a few Metros. .
Is this still the case? Which aircraft are based at BUR and OAK?
Old 10-04-2011, 06:18 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: Any

Originally Posted by BeardedFlyer View Post

I'm probably at least 18 months away from hitting 135 ifr mins but as soon as I do I'm applying to AMF as my first choice. I live right next to the PDX base and was wondering if it would be a good idea to try and go in for a visit, tell them I'm a local low time pilot just interested in checking out their base and maybe talking to a few pilots. What kind of response do you think I'll get? I am planning on calling the base but I wanted to try and get some opinions on here before I do.

Also, does anyone have any info on AMF and hazardous cargo? One of their B1900 guys I met told me that certain runs haul some items that could be potentially bad for your health. Anyone else heard or know anything about this?

Thanks!

Go ahead and give them a call. Ask for the ACP.

As for hazmat, yes, we haul hazmat cargo. As for "bad for your health", a lot of it, if it were to spill or something, would fall into this category. But if you follow proper procedures, there is no problem.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:21 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: Any

Originally Posted by jcrews View Post
I can't speak to exact numbers, but both BUR and OAK have some of everything we fly except the E120. There are only 8 of those in the fleet with 3 just in Dallas. The rest are in BFI, CVG, PHX and SJU (2).
Old 10-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: goin somewhere....

PDX has pa-31's, be-99's, 1 1900 but no metros.

Not sure exactly what OAK has nowadays

BUR/ONT has pa-31's, be-99's, metro's, and 1900's
Old 10-04-2011, 08:53 PM
Apteryx

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Originally Posted by BeardedFlyer View Post

Thanks!
Re HazMat -- Ameriflight IS approved to carry HazMat, as required by UPS, FedEx, and DHL. The company is also one of a very few operators with a special DOT permit to carry high transport index radioactives. Ameriflight is also very careful with the stuff and has an excellent safety record.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:38 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Earl81 View Post
PDX has pa-31's, be-99's, 1 1900 but no metros.

Not sure exactly what OAK has nowadays

BUR/ONT has pa-31's, be-99's, metro's, and 1900's
Thanks for the info. Are BUR/ONT pretty senior bases?
Old 10-05-2011, 01:25 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: goin somewhere....

I would have to look into BUR/ONT if you could get based there quickly. It's usually PDX or OAK when you start but it's also what the company needs at the time...
Old 10-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Thanks for the info. Are BUR/ONT pretty senior bases?
They higher into where the vacancies are... when I got hired at AMF I went directly to BUR. Another guy that got Burbank with me just told them in the interview that he would really like to work for the company, but can only accept Burbank due to family and lifestyle.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:55 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by ImperialxRat View Post
They higher into where the vacancies are... when I got hired at AMF I went directly to BUR. Another guy that got Burbank with me just told them in the interview that he would really like to work for the company, but can only accept Burbank due to family and lifestyle.
Ok, thanks. Good to know it's a possiblity. I miss California.