Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

Cruz5350 10-06-2011 04:41 AM

Since Ameriflight has CASS with Southwest can you theoretically use it to travel on your time off say during the weekends?

freightdog 10-06-2011 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Cruz5350 (Post 1065586)
Since Ameriflight has CASS with Southwest can you theoretically use it to travel on your time off say during the weekends?

Theorectically yes. Or vacation.

frmrbuffdrvr 10-07-2011 03:16 PM

Lots of guys do. Just make sure you are back for your scheduled flights. And "My return flight got cancelled" doesn't cut you any slack.

freightdog 10-07-2011 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr (Post 1066415)
Lots of guys do. Just make sure you are back for your scheduled flights. And "My return flight got cancelled" doesn't cut you any slack.

We don't have any kind of commute policy, so if you get stuck somewhere other than your base/outstation it's best to be honest with the company and tell them as soon as possible to that they can launch a reserve to cover for you. People have been fired for missing flights and not being honest about why they didn't make their trip.

Oldog 10-13-2011 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by freightdog (Post 1066446)
We don't have any kind of commute policy, so if you get stuck somewhere other than your base/outstation it's best to be honest with the company and tell them as soon as possible to that they can launch a reserve to cover for you. People have been fired for missing flights and not being honest about why they didn't make their trip.

There actually IS a commute-to-work-via-airline-jumpseat policy: It is "strongly discouraged" because of the inherent unreliability of jumpseat transportation. You're expected to be "in domicile" in plenty of time for your trip if you commute to work, have alternative travel arrangements if the jumpseat doesn't work, and be prepared to look for a job if you blow it (they may cut you a little slack the first time, but officially it's a firing offense to miss a trip because your commute tanked). HOWEVER, I think this inquiry was about vacation or personal jumpseat travel, which IS allowed -- that's the reason the jumpseat program was set up -- with the proviso that you get back in time to go to work.

freightdog 10-14-2011 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Oldog (Post 1069326)
There actually IS a commute-to-work-via-airline-jumpseat policy: It is "strongly discouraged" because of the inherent unreliability of jumpseat transportation. You're expected to be "in domicile" in plenty of time for your trip if you commute to work, have alternative travel arrangements if the jumpseat doesn't work, and be prepared to look for a job if you blow it (they may cut you a little slack the first time, but officially it's a firing offense to miss a trip because your commute tanked). HOWEVER, I think this inquiry was about vacation or personal jumpseat travel, which IS allowed -- that's the reason the jumpseat program was set up -- with the proviso that you get back in time to go to work.

I guess I should have been more clear. I know at some airlines that there is a commute policy/protection that if your flights for your commute get cancelled and as long as you can show the people in scheduling that you were on the list, i believe most places it's a minimum of two separate flights, then it doesn't get counted against you as a mistrip. At AMF, WE DO have a commute policy; but no protection if your one and only shot flight to get to your assigned station gets cancelled or doesn't make it on time.

shoelu 10-14-2011 09:33 AM

We are happy to have you guys on board. It is a normal jumpseat agreement. A seat in back will be given unless it is full. A seat up front will require CASS approval. Don't forget your passport you may need it for CASS verification. Any and all pilots on the list are always welcome regardless if it is personal travel or a commute.

Cruz5350 10-14-2011 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by shoelu (Post 1069534)
We are happy to have you guys on board. It is a normal jumpseat agreement. A seat in back will be given unless it is full. A seat up front will require CASS approval. Don't forget your passport you may need it for CASS verification. Any and all pilots on the list are always welcome regardless if it is personal travel or a commute.

It'll be awhile before I get the chance to come on board, but it's good to know that it shouldnt be an issue to use SW for travel.

Luv2Rotate 10-16-2011 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Cruz5350 (Post 1069567)
It'll be awhile before I get the chance to come on board, but it's good to know that it shouldnt be an issue to use SW for travel.

Keep in mind SW is mostly full and there are usually 1-2 JS'ers listed per flight. Check to find out what your JS classification is. You might be lower than 121 JS'er or might be 1st come 1st serve basis.

shoelu 10-18-2011 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Luv2Rotate (Post 1070433)
Keep in mind SW is mostly full and there are usually 1-2 JS'ers listed per flight. Check to find out what your JS classification is. You might be lower than 121 JS'er or might be 1st come 1st serve basis.

We have two cockpit jumpseats, and a flight attendant jumpseat available. Off line jumpseaters are not allowed on the FA jumpseat, but SWA pilots are. If there are 2 SWA pilots and you, one would usually volunteer for the FA jumpseat so you could occupy the second flight deck jumpseat. Off line jumpseaters are on a first come first served basis, and of course SWA pilots have first priority. You are able to sign up for the jumpseat 1 hour before departure. Welcome aboard.