Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

ATOP40 05-15-2012 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Draden (Post 1187376)
Buddy of mine at Ameriflight is pretty happy there, he has upgraded very fast to the 99...good luck!

Will you please share when your friend was hired, how fast did he upgrade and in what base?

Thanks

weekendwarrior 05-20-2012 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by ATOP40 (Post 1180392)
How many have been hired per month the past several months?

Thanks.

One class per month, and 8-10 captains per class.

weekendwarrior 05-20-2012 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by UNCPHILLIPS (Post 1164618)
For the current AMF guys, what does it look like for a guy who lives in San Diego, thousands and thousands of hours in helicopters but only the bare mins on the fixed wing side for hiring? Feel free to PM me.

If you meet Ameriflight FW mins (50 Multi) and all the 135 mins, then you will be hired with a good interview. I was a 1700 hour pilot with 1000 helicopter (military) and about 75 MEL and was hired.

If you have good decision making and can pass an interivew and sim ride, you will be hired. Ameriflight realizes this is a stepping stone and actually fosters the "training for another job" environment. Great place to build time and move on after you meet your commitment.

Oldog 05-27-2012 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by ATOP40 (Post 1183160)
Thanks.

Is that mainly growth or turnover. Has anyone been hired by a major?

Many former Ameriflighters are now working for majors all over the US and some internationally. Stick it out for three years, get into a type-rated turboprop, get a couple thousant hours of real line/weather flying and two-crew experience, and you'll be a prime candidate. It's no guarantee, but if you do your job, prepare yourself for the "major's" interview, and they're hiring, odds are good. Odds are likely to improve because of a worsening ratio between available, qualified pilots and demand for them among Part 121 carriers.

Slats 05-27-2012 09:17 AM

Odds are likely to improve because of a worsening ratio between available, qualified pilots and demand for them among Part 121 carriers.[/QUOTE]

There are thousands of qualified candidates within the regional world with Jet PIC. There really is no "worsening ratio". Now, you can leave Ameriflight and come to the regionals and gain more experience in jet aircraft, FMS, 121 and real crew environment rather than with someone who's paying play.

freightdog 05-27-2012 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Slats (Post 1198703)
There are thousands of qualified candidates within the regional world with Jet PIC. There really is no "worsening ratio". Now, you can leave Ameriflight and come to the regionals and gain more experience in jet aircraft, FMS, 121 and real crew environment rather than with someone who's paying play.

All the airlines truly care about is if you are trainable, likable (can they stand to be on a 4 day trip with you), and if you are a good fit in their corporate culture. I've heard so many pilots tell me they think they need "121 time". What does that mean? Time is time.

Where going to a regional may be beneficial is the networking aspect. For example: You fly with a certain captain for a number of months or years; they get hired onto a major that you want to also go to; they recommend you and you get an interview. That's where being at an airline with a larger pilots group (contacts) can be beneficial over somewhere like AMF with only on average 120 pilots at any one time. Some airlines may see you as a lower risk trainee if you have "jet time" or "FMS time" rather than someone with only turboprop "steam gauge" time. Honestly, it's all how about you present yourself in the interview and the confidence that you project onto your interviewers convincing them that if they hire you that you will get through their training and IOE.

Coming from personal experience there are currently myself and another AMF guy in the hiring pool over at Allegiant waiting on a class date. We were the only 135 turboprop guys that I can remember being interviewed and getting the offer of employment. We were not asked a single technical question on the interviews and it was all personal interaction with HR and line captains. The simulator evaluation was the most technical we got during the entire day.

Slats 05-28-2012 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by freightdog (Post 1199080)
All the airlines truly care about is if you are trainable, likable (can they stand to be on a 4 day trip with you), and if you are a good fit in their corporate culture. I've heard so many pilots tell me they think they need "121 time". What does that mean? Time is time.

Where going to a regional may be beneficial is the networking aspect. For example: You fly with a certain captain for a number of months or years; they get hired onto a major that you want to also go to; they recommend you and you get an interview. That's where being at an airline with a larger pilots group (contacts) can be beneficial over somewhere like AMF with only on average 120 pilots at any one time. Some airlines may see you as a lower risk trainee if you have "jet time" or "FMS time" rather than someone with only turboprop "steam gauge" time. Honestly, it's all how about you present yourself in the interview and the confidence that you project onto your interviewers convincing them that if they hire you that you will get through their training and IOE.

Coming from personal experience there are currently myself and another AMF guy in the hiring pool over at Allegiant waiting on a class date. We were the only 135 turboprop guys that I can remember being interviewed and getting the offer of employment. We were not asked a single technical question on the interviews and it was all personal interaction with HR and line captains. The simulator evaluation was the most technical we got during the entire day.

+1, Well said!

PiperPower 05-28-2012 12:15 PM

How firm is the 50 multi? Also, a high performance endorsement is listed as a requirement on their website... Is that firm?

UNCPHILLIPS 05-28-2012 12:48 PM

Weekend Warrior~

I don't think you can PM just yet until you get around 20 post or so, just curious what your MIL background was and where are you currently based with AMF?

weekendwarrior 05-30-2012 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by UNCPHILLIPS (Post 1199506)
Weekend Warrior~

I don't think you can PM just yet until you get around 20 post or so, just curious what your MIL background was and where are you currently based with AMF?

Military Helicopter, but really it doesnt make a difference honestly. Most trainees I've seen were flight instructors. A few with some 91 time, etc. Second level time building job honestly. I knew guys who had 50 hours multi and got on.

Regarding the question about high performance, yes you will need the endorsement. AMF can not give endorsements and you need it to fly the PA-31.