Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

Beaver Hunter 07-07-2012 12:00 PM

SWABlue

Are you the log book police? Who cares how someone logs time. If a company doesn't like it. Then it's the applicants problem.

DirectTo 07-07-2012 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Beaver Hunter (Post 1226113)
SWABlue

Are you the log book police? Who cares how someone logs time. If a company doesn't like it. Then it's the applicants problem.

Have you thought maybe he's trying to help people who might log things without realizing the implications. Most posters here are professional pilots who at one point or another have had their logbooks dug through. Some companies skim over them, some tear them apart. There's no reason for you to waste a perfectly good interview because of something idiotic.

Most of the logging posts tend to come from low time guys who don't know any better, or the guys who are finding any way they can to skim the edge of truth and check boxes on the application. You can log what you want, true, but to think that what's in your logbook could never cost you a job is naiive at best.

SWAblue 07-07-2012 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by DirectTo (Post 1226140)
Have you thought maybe he's trying to help people who might log things without realizing the implications. Most posters here are professional pilots who at one point or another have had their logbooks dug through. Some companies skim over them, some tear them apart. There's no reason for you to waste a perfectly good interview because of something idiotic.

Most of the logging posts tend to come from low time guys who don't know any better, or the guys who are finding any way they can to skim the edge of truth and check boxes on the application. You can log what you want, true, but to think that what's in your logbook could never cost you a job is naiive at best.

Well said. Thanks for saying it much better than I could have.

Many have had their heart broken by this profession. I am an advocate of trying to minimize that for some. Kind of my way of giving back I guess.

We have OpSpecs, as do almost everyone else, that allow for lower than standard departures if the have an SIC onboard. Since an SIC is required for lower than standard takeoffs then they can be required to be on onboard for other ops. This has been my best understanding of the regs to this point.
OK. Now that is interesting. Can you share the difference in minimums between single pilot and one with an SIC aboard?

Any chance you can share that part of your ops specs?

Thanks.

And as always, good luck to us all.

polymox 07-07-2012 02:12 PM

There's no point in arguing the pay to play FO topic again for a single pilot cargo operation.

It is allowed per a company Ops Spec, and yes it's looked down upon in the US. However, that doesn't matter because most of these guys are from a country without a GA industry and this is how they get the time to go to their national airline. It is not only accepted, they are funneled through the program by the airline. I told the two Americans that came through our base (for 100 hours each instead of the usual 500+) flat out that the time is looked down upon. They knew it, but decided to waste their money anyway because it was 1/4 the price of renting a twin.

SWAblue 07-07-2012 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by polymox (Post 1226164)
There's no point in arguing the pay to play FO topic again for a single pilot cargo operation.

It is allowed per a company Ops Spec, and yes it's looked down upon in the US. However, that doesn't matter because most of these guys are from a country without a GA industry and this is how they get the time to go to their national airline. It is not only accepted, they are funneled through the program by the airline. I told the two Americans that came through our base (for 100 hours each instead of the usual 500+) flat out that the time is looked down upon. They knew it, but decided to waste their money anyway because it was 1/4 the price of renting a twin.

I have no involvement with the "pay to play" topic but for the foreign carriers I can see where this would be accepted. In the highly competitive US market I can understand where it may not.

In this "pay for play" opportunity is the time logged as SIC or PIC?

Rexflyt 07-07-2012 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by SWAblue (Post 1226257)
I have no involvement with the "pay to play" topic but for the foreign carriers I can see where this would be accepted. In the highly competitive US market I can understand where it may not.

As someone who has the foreign FO's flying with me from time to time I have asked them, and I may be wrong, but they said they log PIC "sole manipulator" and total time only. Their countries airlines just care that they have a 1000tt. Again this is just info I have gleamed while flying with them and what they log means nothing to me one way or another.

polymox 07-08-2012 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by SWAblue (Post 1226257)

I think they do indeed log the sole manipulator time in the under 12,500 lb aircraft as PIC time, not sure about the larger ones requiring type ratings. But you must remember what they are logging for. It's not to apply to a major here that requires you signed for the airplane. It's so they can obtain an ATP someday, and for that it's perfectly valid. I don't mean to sound like a cheerleader of the system, because the whole thing is kind of foolish and except for when you're loading/unloading it's easier to fly without them. However, it is their money and does accomplish their goal of getting to their foreign carrier, without taking the job of anyone here.

frmrbuffdrvr 07-09-2012 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by SWAblue (Post 1226075)
With that being said, is there a section in your ops specs that a SIC is required for Part 135 cargo operations in your PA31 or BE99?

You can log anything you want. How it is viewed by future employers is another subject matter. Anything interpreted as dishonest will automatically disqualify one from further consideration. Unless I am missing something you have failed to explain in the past few posts, whether or not this has been argued before, you can not legally log second in command time in any operation that does not require the position. Only those who need the time I can imagine would debate this point of well known FAR common sense among professional pilots.

Originally Posted by freightdog (Post 1226109)
We have OpSpecs, as do almost everyone else, that allow for lower than standard departures if the have an SIC onboard. Since an SIC is required for lower than standard takeoffs then they can be required to be on onboard for other ops. This has been my best understanding of the regs to this point.

We do have an exemption to 61.51 that allows AMF to assign an SIC to a flight which would not otherwise require and SIC and allow them to log the flight time.

There is not stipulation in the exemption about it being for purposes of lower than standard takeoff minimums, though that is one advantage to us in some aircraft.

One thing I would definitely agree with you about, SWABlue, is that if they were to log it as PIC, it only counts as part 91 PIC, not part 61. And 61 is what employers are looking for. So it doesn't do any good for PIC time requirements and my recommendation to guys is that they log it AS SIC time so there is no confusion. But it should be valid as total time as much as if they were flying right seat in any other aircraft.

own nav 07-09-2012 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr (Post 1225738)
Sounds like you speak from experience. ;)

Yes, it's been years since I've had an American FO.

jcrews 07-12-2012 07:18 AM

When was the most junior pilot in SLC hired? From reading the thread it seems like it is somewhat difficult to get in there?