Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

Jetlife 01-13-2013 08:09 AM


Originally Posted by SWAblue (Post 1329052)
What makes you guys fantastic pilots?

They set the bar really high on the level of pilot they want. They wash out a ton of pilots who can't meet that standard. Flying older equipment, single pilot in very crappy weather takes a certain amount of skill.

SWAblue 01-13-2013 09:09 AM


Originally Posted by Jetlife (Post 1329233)
They set the bar really high on the level of pilot they want. They wash out a ton of pilots who can't meet that standard. Flying older equipment, single pilot in very crappy weather takes a certain amount of skill.

One of the reasons for the large washout stat is AMF is an entry level position. Most of the hires are flight instructors without being tested at faster more demanding levels. Single pilot also makes that more challenging for certain.

I have flown with pilots from every background imaginable. Including Space Shuttle pilots. I have flown with about a half dozen AMF pilots that came right to SWA in the late nineties to early 2000's. Don't take this the wrong way, but I haven't seen anything from any back ground that stands out more than others.

It is real good to be proud of where you came from. So am I. But in reality we are no better than the next guy.

Jetlife 01-13-2013 09:17 AM

I don't disagree with you, and I am not saying AMF pilots are the best and the rest suck. And it's also not a pride issue. I have seen furloughed airline pilots wash out as easy as the flight instructor. All I was saying is that AMF is big enough to have a reputation of producing pretty good pilots. And I did get hired over 2 other guys at my current gig because of it.

SWAblue 01-13-2013 09:42 AM


Originally Posted by Jetlife (Post 1329274)
I don't disagree with you, and I am not saying AMF pilots are the best and the rest suck. And it's also not a pride issue. I have seen furloughed airline pilots wash out as easy as the flight instructor. All I was saying is that AMF is big enough to have a reputation of producing pretty good pilots. And I did get hired over 2 other guys at my current gig because of it.

I would imaging your current gig has had good experience with former AMF pilots. I would imagine you may have had an internal rec or two.

Some of the AMF pilots were great to fly with and did a good job. A couple, not so much so. The lack of the crew environment really showed. One, who is now a Captain, has a horrible reputation.

Attitude is everything in this business. I would much rather fly with an AMF pilot with a good attitude than a 121 RJ Captain with a bad attitude. In todays environment, given equal attitudes, I have found the 121 Captain to be more prepared for the major airline transition.

There is going to be much hiring starting soon for the major airlines. If one desires for that type of career I can see a preference going to those who have 121 experience. But only a preference. There are always exceptions to every rule. But if I was hedging my bets, I would try to get some 121 experience.

AZFlyn1 01-13-2013 02:34 PM


Originally Posted by Jetlife (Post 1329024)
Me too. I will cherish the flying I did. It was super fun. We all heard through the network about somebody getting hired at Allegiant, that must have been you. Congrats!

Companies that know what's going on, respect AMF pilots because they know they are fantastic pilots. I got hired onto my current gig because of it.

I'm sure a lot of pilots from Ameriflight are very good, but to say they are all fantastic is a little naive. We had one of your pilots in my new hire class and she/he was bar none a terrible pilot who has a very bad rep around here for his/her lack of piloting skills. Just saying....

Jetlife 01-13-2013 03:21 PM

Dude, it isn't one of "my" pilots. I don't even work for AMF anymore. I was trying to give the guy looking at coming to AMF a little boost of confidence. You guys don't have to take that I say they make fantastic pilots to mean everyone else sucks. It is also quite possible the person your are referring to washed out of training and wound up at a regional.

SWAblue 01-13-2013 03:32 PM


Originally Posted by Jetlife (Post 1329506)
Dude, it isn't one of "my" pilots. I don't even work for AMF anymore. I was trying to give the guy looking at coming to AMF a little boost of confidence. You guys don't have to take that I say they make fantastic pilots to mean everyone else sucks. It is also quite possible the person your are referring to washed out of training and wound up at a regional.

Jetlife,

I too am trying to give useful information. I did not think you said AMF pilots are all fantastic therefor everyone else sucks. It did have an air of "we are better than others" though. Which I am sure you would agree would not be a fair statement.

I would have never thought for a moment that any company wouldn't have respect for AMF pilots. And I do not know of any that do. On the other hand, I have seen other very respectable companies have hired AMF pilots.

Jetlife 01-13-2013 03:40 PM

I would agree 100% that, it would be an unfair statement to say that, and I for sure didn't mean for it to come off as such.

SWAblue 01-13-2013 05:38 PM


Originally Posted by Jetlife (Post 1329516)
I would agree 100% that, it would be an unfair statement to say that, and I for sure didn't mean for it to come off as such.

I kinda figured that.

If I have learned anything from these anonymous forums, is how easy it is to be misunderstood. :confused::D

I hope we all reach our career objectives. Well, except one guy I know.:eek:

AeroCrewSolut 01-14-2013 02:27 PM

Sheri Hudson, Ameriflight pilot recruiter, wanted to let the pilots know that Ameriflight will be attending the Aero Crew Solutions pilot job fair in Las Vegas. I know it is last minute for many but she is excited to attend. www.aerocrewsolutions.com/

Part 135.243(c) minimums. 1200 TT, 500 cross country, 100 night, 75 instrument (50 hours in flight).

"Pilots typically fly 500 hours per year and upgrade from initial aircraft assignment (PA-31) into turbine aircraft (BE-99) within 4 months. That is moving their aviation careers into high gear by being able to log TURBINE PIC towards that elusive, holy grail of flight time: 1000 hours of turbine PIC!

Sheri Hudson will be presenting company information on Ameriflight and Part 135 flying. Please stop by with your questions!"

For more information visit: www.ameriflight.com/PilotOpportunities.asp


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:22 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright 2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands