Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

skatergeek 02-04-2009 08:48 PM

Does anyone at AMF know if there is a class that starts monday? I called Sylvia the other day to check on my application status and she said no classes until March 9. Then the other day I heard of a guy getting an interview and another that starts class on monday??

freightdog 02-05-2009 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by skatergeek (Post 552476)
Does anyone at AMF know if there is a class that starts monday? I called Sylvia the other day to check on my application status and she said no classes until March 9. Then the other day I heard of a guy getting an interview and another that starts class on monday??

It could mean after this class no classes until March 9.

Alti2d 02-06-2009 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by SkyStormer6 (Post 552377)
I'm not trying to lower any standards. For myself or anyone else. Just wanted to know if a brief internship as an FO at AMF might lead to a full time position. I am flying right now, not the greatest job in the world but it's better than unemployment. However, if I had to sacrifice a month or two without pay in order to secure a long term position with Ameriflight, and as own nav stated I wouldnt be causing someone else to lose their job, you bet I'd do it in a heartbeat. The short term sacrifice would be well worth it, plus I'm not hurting anyone else. It also helps that my ol' lady makes enough for both of us. In the end though it probably won't matter, I'll hit the 135 mins in a few months with my current job and then be able to apply at other companies as well.

For better or for worse, AMF does have a pay to play program, and several of those FOs that did well over the years have been offered positions within the company. They know you, they like you, they need a pilot, you're hired. Of course it costs $10,000 (+) to have that happen. It's operated as a turbine time-building training program. I don't think that they have an internship situation when they are making money off these things. I'm not judging the people who are willing to do this, or the company for doing it, I'm just saying that there is a program in place.

SkyStormer6 02-06-2009 09:06 PM

Wow that's crazy. Wish I had $10K. Not to spend on flying but just to have it. I will keep my crappy job till I break 135 mins and wait till some more companies start hiring. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

own nav 02-07-2009 12:20 PM

If you're looking to get AMF to notice you, I know many pilots have been dispatchers, parts clerks and line service people while they were building toward minimums. In the end, it's the same effect, if they like you, you'll get right in for a pilot interview when you meet minimums.

BTPM 02-08-2009 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Alti2d (Post 553647)
For better or for worse, AMF does have a pay to play program, and several of those FOs that did well over the years have been offered positions within the company. They know you, they like you, they need a pilot, you're hired. Of course it costs $10,000 (+) to have that happen. It's operated as a turbine time-building training program. I don't think that they have an internship situation when they are making money off these things. I'm not judging the people who are willing to do this, or the company for doing it, I'm just saying that there is a program in place.

I know that there are many out there that do not approve of people paying for time, but I would like to offer this up for your consideration. Many of you did pay to build time in a twin (Seminole/Duchess), there are many pilots out there that do not have an MEI and have built their required multi time by renting. So what is the difference between paying to gain experience in a twin turbine or paying to fly a Seminole around? I used to disapprove of "first officer" programs, until I flew with one. She was very professional, and demonstrated excellent airmanship, when she had completed her time, we hired her into a Brasilia. I believe that she is now a Captain at Republic. This young woman knew that she did not want to instruct, and she felt that she could better herself professionally through a 'first officer' program, and she was correct. She personally changed my opinion about these programs. I think in the right environment these programs can be excellent as they teach young pilots how things work in the real world. Lets face it, instructors out there are just baby pilots themselves, and have no idea how 135 or 121 operators actually do it in the real world. Just remember what you get out of an experience is what you put into an experience.

Rnav 02-09-2009 08:27 AM

I know that there are many out there that do not approve of people paying for time, but I would like to offer this up for your consideration. Many of you did pay to build time in a twin (Seminole/Duchess), there are many pilots out there that do not have an MEI and have built their required multi time by renting.
Yes, people pay to rent a plane to build twin time. Most people build their twin time that way, including myself before getting hired on a 121 carrier. What we didn't do is pay to fly right seat on a revenue flight, which is what AMF program does. The cargo is there because someone is paying for it to be moved around. And you think its ok for someone to also pay to fly that cargo around? If the company wants a warm body in the right seat they should pay for it. Making money off the flightdeck with additional revenue from the cargo/passenger compartment is ethically wrong and not good for the profession at all. I'm sure there are good pilots that enter this lame program. But your missing the point, its PFT plain and simple. This argument is old...

de727ups 02-09-2009 09:04 AM

I'm not sure everyone understands the Amflight program. First of all, it's not an Amflight program, it's Eagle Jet International. EJI pays Amflight a fee for the right seaters and the Amflight PIC's get a small pay override. The right seaters are NOT required crewmembers, and can be bumped for freight.

You can question the value of the time, or even the FAA "loophole" that allows it to be logged, but it's not the same PFT/PFJ that Gulfstream is doing.

In my view, if you're not a required crewmember, then you're not taking anyones job.

SkyStormer6 02-09-2009 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by de727ups (Post 555089)
I'm not sure everyone understands the Amflight program. First of all, it's not an Amflight program, it's Eagle Jet International. EJI pays Amflight a fee for the right seaters and the Amflight PIC's get a small pay override. The right seaters are NOT required crewmembers, and can be bumped for freight.

You can question the value of the time, or even the FAA "loophole" that allows it to be logged, but it's not the same PFT/PFJ that Gulfstream is doing.

In my view, if you're not a required crewmember, then you're not taking anyones job.

That's interesting. So would you apply for that program through Ameriflight or EJI? Who should I contact for more info on the program?

own nav 02-09-2009 12:10 PM

Eagle Jet International, Inc.