Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

KSCessnaDriver 08-20-2013 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Grumble (Post 1466823)
Can you commute in working for AMF or is this a job you need to live in base for?

I'm not sure why you would even try. You could go home on the weekends, but that's about it.

Grumble 08-20-2013 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by 9kBud (Post 1466903)
Commuting to work at Ameriflight sounds like the kind of hell I wouldn't wish on my worst enemies.

'Nuff said.

aTomatoFlames 08-20-2013 05:19 PM

You really need to live at the Base/Outstation.

frmrbuffdrvr 08-21-2013 01:52 AM

You CAN commute if you want. Company policy is that if you do commute, you are to be at your assigned station not later than 4 hours prior to your show time. Obviously, at most out-stations, there is no one there to check if you make that cut off. But if you cause a delay because you miss a jumpseat connection or your car breaks down an hour out of town at 1.5 hours prior to departure time, you might as well plan to pack your stuff up.

My advice, plan to spend most of your time at your duty station. And have a back up plan or two if you do jump out over the weekend.

Gearslinger01 08-21-2013 09:15 AM

The good thing is that you can go home for your one day weekend (depending on the base that is). Unless things have changed, AMF only had a jump seat agreement with SouthWest. In addition to this the majority of runs are Monday through Saturday. So you have one day to try and find a SouthWest flight to and from home.

Ameriflight is the type of place to just get your time and move on. I know of many other pilots (even 1900 and metro guys) at AMF that just get the time and then go to the regionals until the majors call.

CptGSXR 08-21-2013 09:29 AM

Trying to keep my options open here, I currently hold a PIC type in a EMB120, I'm sure I would be waiting a long time for seniority to even bid that equipment just wondering how long?

Also I see there are at least a few runs from MQY SDF and CVG, with two of those listed as bases. What equipment is based there? And how senior is that? I live basically in-between those three locations. Thnx

SWAblue 08-21-2013 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Gearslinger01 (Post 1467364)

Ameriflight is the type of place to just get your time and move on. I know of many other pilots (even 1900 and metro guys) at AMF that just get the time and then go to the regionals until the majors call.

In this environment this will likely soon be discovered as a must. Getting hired right into one of the Legacies or big Majors right from AMF is something of the past for now. In five or ten years that may change again.

Jetlife 08-21-2013 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by SWAblue (Post 1467623)
In this environment this will likely soon be discovered as a must. Getting hired right into one of the Legacies or big Majors right from AMF is something of the past for now. In five or ten years that may change again.

Only if the pool of current jet drivers dries up IMHO. There are thousands of pilots who fly 121, fly jets, fly glass cockpit equipment or all of the above.

frmrbuffdrvr 08-22-2013 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by CptGSXR (Post 1467370)
Trying to keep my options open here, I currently hold a PIC type in a EMB120, I'm sure I would be waiting a long time for seniority to even bid that equipment just wondering how long?

Also I see there are at least a few runs from MQY SDF and CVG, with two of those listed as bases. What equipment is based there? And how senior is that? I live basically in-between those three locations. Thnx

Along with your E120 type, you would need a couple thousand hours time before you could bid into it. Seniority wise, it may only take a year or two to get into it, depending on runs and openings. I know we just lost one Bro captain from Miami a couple of days ago.

CVG has BE1900, SA227 and E120. SDF has the 1900 & 227s.

As for seniority, there have been times when we have actually had street hires go to CVG. But the latest bids were all filled internally. So while you probably wouldn't have much problem getting into the base, you likely will need to spend some time out west in either PA31s or BE99s and then bid in.

SWAblue 08-22-2013 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jetlife (Post 1467627)
Only if the pool of current jet drivers dries up IMHO. There are thousands of pilots who fly 121, fly jets, fly glass cockpit equipment or all of the above.

Yes there are.

Also to mention the pool of military pilots that always exists.