Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

8ballfreight 06-02-2014 10:40 PM

I hope AMF hires you two.

Gjn290 06-02-2014 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by 8ballfreight (Post 1657091)
I hope AMF hires you two.

I'm not interested in AMF, sorry. I've got my TPIC. I do, however, have a buddy that just got hired. I tried to talk him out of it because he's already logging TPIC at his current job, but he's thick headed and wouldn't listen.

ClarenceOver 06-02-2014 10:55 PM

I had a conditional offer at the job fair and said no. I would rather take my chances and ride the crap sandwich that a regional wants to feed me.

kimba 06-03-2014 03:36 AM

Waste of time

Originally Posted by Gjn290 (Post 1657037)
Kimba, you're starting to sound like a broken record.

It's obvious you don't understand the importance of Turbine PIC, but without it you can't even apply to some of the legacy/major carriers. I would rather build 1000 TPIC at AMF, even if it's not as important as it used to be, then go log 121 jet SIC time. Contrary to your belief, it will put your résumé on top of those without it. At least at AMF you know you'll get to 1000 TPIC in a reasonable time verses a regional.

Wouldn't you like to be able to check that box?

First of all I was talking about the money that you get paid at AMF flying PIC but getting paid less than a second in command in an average part 135 company.
Second, I understand that you are defending your time at AMF and you don't want to admit that you have wasted your time, but unfortunately that's what has happened.
Can you tell me which one is the major that is requiring 1000 turbine PIC today in order to apply?
For sure if you have it, it's better but PIC in a B99 single pilot will check a box but I don't think I'll be more than that.
Anyhow, when you guys applyAMF make sure that you have a turbine as a first plane, because if you start on the chieftain it may take a while before you see a turbine and you time on it.

I don't see any meaning in going from a PIC position to a SIC position in general especially if that's something that you are planning to do.
Going back to the pay, AMF is very good at selling their product. It used to be the only decent place where to build multi time, now this requirement has been lowered and you can apply to a regional with as low as 50hrs, 20 at Great Lakes. So the only thing left is turbine PIC, that is not a requirement any more.
Flying turbine PIC for a paycheck lower than a SIC flying king air in a part 135 is a favor that you have done to them and not vice versa.:D

kimba 06-03-2014 03:37 AM

Good job

Originally Posted by ClarenceOver (Post 1657095)
I had a conditional offer at the job fair and said no. I would rather take my chances and ride the crap sandwich that a regional wants to feed me.

You did yourself a great favor.

own nav 06-03-2014 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by kimba (Post 1657127)
It used to be the only decent place where to build multi time, now this requirement has been lowered and you can apply to a regional with as low as 50hrs, 20 at Great Lakes.

Recommending Great Lakes now?

Gjn290 06-03-2014 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by kimba (Post 1657127)
First of all I was talking about the money that you get paid at AMF flying PIC but getting paid less than a second in command in an average part 135 company.

I know the pay leaves something to be desired, but I hear the time to get into the Metroliner or B1900 is down to 6 months now, with pay being in the 40's for those two planes.

Second, I understand that you are defending your time at AMF and you don't want to admit that you have wasted your time, but unfortunately that's what has happened.

I can't defend wasting my time at a place I've never worked for.

Can you tell me which one is the major that is requiring 1000 turbine PIC today in order to apply?

Off the top of my head, Southwest requires 1000 TPIC.

For sure if you have it, it's better but PIC in a B99 single pilot will check a box but I don't think I'll be more than that.

The fact remains, it allows one to check the box, which is something someone that CFI'd or towed banners before going to a regional cannot.

Anyhow, when you guys applyAMF make sure that you have a turbine as a first plane, because if you start on the chieftain it may take a while before you see a turbine and you time on it.

On this issue we agree 100%.

I don't see any meaning in going from a PIC position to a SIC position in general especially if that's something that you are planning to do.
Going back to the pay, AMF is very good at selling their product. It used to be the only decent place where to build multi time, now this requirement has been lowered and you can apply to a regional with as low as 50hrs, 20 at Great Lakes. So the only thing left is turbine PIC, that is not a requirement any more.

I think it is easily justifiable to spend time at AMF before going to a regional. You will become a better pilot after flying single pilot cargo in bad weather with steam gauges.I still feel that is known quality flight time, sure it may not be enough to go straight to a major but combine that with 121 jet SIC time and you could be golden. Who knows, you might not have to sit around and wait as long as other FO's with no TPIC to get a call from a major.

After seeing how much contempt you hold for AMF how could you possibly steer someone in the direction of Great Lakes? I have never been to either but it seems that AMF is a much better place to spend time at.

Flying turbine PIC for a paycheck lower than a SIC flying king air in a part 135 is a favor that you have done to them and not vice versa.:D

You're right, the pay sucks. For most people AMF is a first job, definitely not a career place. They are hiring low time pilots and giving them TPIC right off the bat. Both the employer and employee are using each other.

The importance of TPIC will always remain a heated debate. One thing is certain, it will never hurt you if you have it. Can you say the same if you don't?

KSCessnaDriver 06-03-2014 11:57 AM

Hey Kimba, who ****ed in your breakfast cereal? We get it, you felt like you were lied to about the company. You've made your point, why do you keep going on like a broken record about the whole thing. My guess is you didn't quit from AMF, but were probably fired because you couldn't cut it.

own nav 06-03-2014 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Gjn290 (Post 1657434)
After seeing how much contempt you hold for AMF how could you possibly steer someone in the direction of Great Lakes? I have never been to either but it seems that AMF is a much better place to spend time at.

I think you're on to something here.

own nav 06-03-2014 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by KSCessnaDriver (Post 1657462)
Hey Kimba, who ****ed in your breakfast cereal? We get it, you felt like you were lied to about the company. You've made your point, why do you keep going on like a broken record about the whole thing. My guess is you didn't quit from AMF, but were probably fired because you couldn't cut it.

I say let him keep ranting. He does plenty to discredit himself.

If pilots are really persuaded by what he's saying, I'm not sure they'd fit in at AMF anyway.