Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

GunnerV 07-09-2014 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr (Post 1680102)
I know of at least 3 direct hires to typed airplanes in recent months. (Metro and 1900. A direct hire to the left seat of the E120 probably won't happen. At least it hasn't for several years.) It all depends on where you are willing to go. There are some runs that either because of location or low flight time are always difficult to fill internally.

As for the guys making such a big deal about how Martinaire is so much better -- if that is the case, why are there 4 former Martinaire pilots just at the DFW base? They must have some reason they preferred to come to AMF.

Simple, because Caravan time can take you only so far in this industry :p

frmrbuffdrvr 07-09-2014 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by mojo6911 (Post 1680518)
I worked with ZS at my previous job and a previous Martinaire guy at my current job. Both had great things to say about the MX. I did hear that the remote MX, which uses contractors, is pretty bad.

Originally Posted by Jetlife (Post 1680560)
If there's a place that has worse mx than AMF I don't wanna know....

I'm not sure where you were based, Jetlife, or when. And I'll admit, I have seen some times where mx has been an issue. But that was about 10 years ago.

Now, I have only been assigned to one base, but the mx here has been pretty good. If something is broke, you write it up, it gets fixed. Or MEL'd until they can GET it fixed. No problems. And I know the ACP in DFW takes a very dim view of mx trying to talk a pilot into NOT writing something up.

frmrbuffdrvr 07-09-2014 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by KSCessnaDriver (Post 1680436)
Nobody is saying its better, people are saying that Martinaire is now paying better than Ameriflight on the new hire end, which speaks to many problems, IMO.

Wow. A whole $1K per year. (Less than $100 per month.) And that's if you don't move into a typed plane in your first year.

Oh, wait. Martinaire doesn't have that many typed planes.

I realize AMF hasn't updated their pay scale in 7 years. And I know talk is cheap. But there have been many changes in the company structure since the change in ownership. And other than the announcement of the move of the corporate HQ to DFW they have been minor (polo shirts as an option to the pilot uniform, several additional jump seat agreements, moving the POV mileage out of the 1980s from $0.26 per mile to $0.56 per mile.) But there HAVE been changes, so I think the talk of the pay scale changing in the near future is pretty credible. From what I have heard it is more than just an increase within the current structure and so it is taking longer than just printing a new pay chart to get it up and running.

tlewis95 07-10-2014 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Gjn290 (Post 1679814)
What are the chances of getting hired into one of the type rated aircraft as a captain?

That has become normal if you have the right experience. You should be able to talk your way into whatever base you want as well.

Originally Posted by Jetlife (Post 1680560)
If there's a place that has worse mx than AMF I don't wanna know....

In almost a year I haven't seen or heard of anything that would qualify as anything but great maintinence. The planes are old and tired so they do get written up pretty regularly, but they are fixed or MEL'd and flown legally and safely if possible. I've never had anyone try to pressure me into not writing something up, waiting to write something up until at a mx base, or flying something illegally like you hear about at other 135 freight outfits.

8ballfreight 07-10-2014 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr (Post 1680955)
I'm not sure where you were based, Jetlife, or when. And I'll admit, I have seen some times where mx has been an issue. But that was about 10 years ago.

Now, I have only been assigned to one base, but the mx here has been pretty good. If something is broke, you write it up, it gets fixed. Or MEL'd until they can GET it fixed. No problems. And I know the ACP in DFW takes a very dim view of mx trying to talk a pilot into NOT writing something up.

You know dang well the FAA has come down on AMF for deferring items for 90 days and fixing them on the 89th day while the plane sat in an mx base every night for the past three months. And not ten years ago.

KSCessnaDriver 07-10-2014 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr (Post 1680960)
Wow. A whole $1K per year. (Less than $100 per month.) And that's if you don't move into a typed plane in your first year.

Oh, wait. Martinaire doesn't have that many typed planes.

I realize AMF hasn't updated their pay scale in 7 years. And I know talk is cheap. But there have been many changes in the company structure since the change in ownership. And other than the announcement of the move of the corporate HQ to DFW they have been minor (polo shirts as an option to the pilot uniform, several additional jump seat agreements, moving the POV mileage out of the 1980s from $0.26 per mile to $0.56 per mile.) But there HAVE been changes, so I think the talk of the pay scale changing in the near future is pretty credible. From what I have heard it is more than just an increase within the current structure and so it is taking longer than just printing a new pay chart to get it up and running.

Talk is cheap. I heard the roadshow shortly after the ownership change was announced, promising pay raises. Here we are, 9 months later, and nothing has changed that makes a bit of difference. Meanwhile, pilots are leaving at what seems an ever increasing rate. And sure, its only 1000 more a year. But it's a $1000 more to fly a Van versus a 99. And the fact that to get to 30K, they got a size-able pay raise. But hey, I know you've got a job to do to spin the company line, so I can respect that.

Pilotandrew 07-10-2014 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by KSCessnaDriver (Post 1681209)
Talk is cheap. I heard the roadshow shortly after the ownership change was announced, promising pay raises. Here we are, 9 months later, and nothing has changed that makes a bit of difference. Meanwhile, pilots are leaving at what seems an ever increasing rate. And sure, its only 1000 more a year. But it's a $1000 more to fly a Van versus a 99. And the fact that to get to 30K, they got a size-able pay raise. But hey, I know you've got a job to do to spin the company line, so I can respect that.

Agreed... Everything is "coming soon....." There have been some changes for the better, (mileage, medical reimbursement, etc) but nothing major. I definitely have had a good time here at AMF but there's other opportunities to pursue out and around the industry so... Added my two-week notice to the top of that growing stack last week...

frmrbuffdrvr 07-11-2014 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by 8ballfreight (Post 1681166)
You know dang well the FAA has come down on AMF for deferring items for 90 days and fixing them on the 89th day while the plane sat in an mx base every night for the past three months. And not ten years ago.

You know what? I had forgotten about that part. I was thinking more about times when mx was actively working to keep problems off the books so they wouldn't look bad. But the situation you are talking about has been corrected as well. In fact, I have seen times when we don't have airplanes available because mx wasn't allowed to extend an MEL. So things have gotten much better in that sense.

Originally Posted by KSCessnaDriver (Post 1681209)

It's not "my job" to spin the company line. If I wanted to spend the time writing it, I could give you several instances of things Ameriflight has done in general and for me specifically during my time with them that have convinced me that this is one of the best companies to work for. Do I think it is the place for most pilots to come and stay? No. At least not right now. For me it is.

I you read all of my posts you will see that I try to not sugar coat anything. I put out what I believe is the most factual information I can, be it good or bad. And if things are just talk (like the pay raise is so far) I say so. But I also know things that I am not at liberty to talk about which is why I am even willing to pass on some of the "talk."

But because of the way I have been treated and some of the situations this company has helped me through, I get very defensive when people start to bad mouth Ameriflight in any way. If that makes it sound like I am spinning the "company line," then so be it.

AirHun 07-11-2014 08:01 AM

I've got 3200 TT
1500 Turbine
over 900 Jet
Type Rated

Should I apply with Ameriflight or keep looking? Any thoughts.

Aviator89 07-11-2014 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by AirHun (Post 1681795)
I've got 3200 TT
1500 Turbine
over 900 Jet
Type Rated

Should I apply with Ameriflight or keep looking? Any thoughts.

If you want to fly freight for 30k a year. Sure. But if. I had your times, id be taking every avenue possible for a good corporate gig, or major/legacy.