Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

eman 07-23-2014 05:27 AM

Yea I was just thinking about that...Miami was pretty good in my opinion. I know other guys were constantly complaining; mostly CVG. Guess I got lucky!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flightcap 07-23-2014 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by jcrews (Post 1689437)
We just had a new guy go out there to fly a metro with little turbine time coming in. Plenty of time in the TT category, but mostly(more than 95%) piston twin and single time.

Anything is possible! Doesn't hurt to apply and communicate your needs.

True fact. Shoot for the moon, land in the stars concept!

wstcstmag 07-23-2014 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by eman (Post 1689485)
Lol! weekends off, home every night and major holidays off wasn't a bad quality of life. Pay for first year chieftain captain aside though...metro was just fine!

During my time at AMF I did not experience the QOL you mentioned. I too was on the Metro and the pay was still a joke. I worked many weekends regardless of what A/C type I was on.

I also sat around on Xmas eve (on airport reserve) waiting to see if UPS was going to need us for emergency services (recall how UPS's operation was overwhelmed {and made the news} not too long ago).

I worked (not by choice) the 4th of July and New Years Eve recalled by seeing fireworks from the cockpit at night both times.

"Home every night" (UPS schedule) - I feel when a pilot gets home at 730-8pm and misses dinner and then wakes up at 430am M-F, or (international schedule) home at 1030pm wake up at 6am; the home at night isn't much of a selling point.

To folks pondering Ameriflight that want to fly 121 for their career: Continue accumulating flight-time with the intent of getting hired at a regional airline. Why?

-I know regionals have a bad rep but you will be significantly less stressed.
-The 121 equipment you will be flying is significantly more safe.
-135 PIC turbine hours are becoming less important.
-Flying alone (most of a pilot's hrs at AMF) does not develop CRM <--This is a big one and could cause training problems at a 121 carrier.
-AMF is small and political. Which means sometimes unfair.
-The new rest rules that mainly protect against long duty days combined with too many legs do not apply here.
-Once off reserve, you will accumulate more flight time at a regional per month even during a minimum credit month.
-They will not be able to attract future pilots causing a short-staffed situation translating to further reduced QOL for a new pilot at AMF. Noted below.

Originally Posted by giblets8o3 (Post 1689215)
If you have a lot of turbine time it would be possible to go straight to CVG (very short staffed).

People usually interested in Ameriflight are generally "lower" flight-time pilots. If you find yourself one of these people that also want to have a 121 non-regional career you need to have 4-5000 hrs (generally speaking at the time of interview with big 121 career). With the exodus of regional captains moving to better places that will occur very soon you will likely have the opportunity to upgrade at the regional that you choose. Even if it is 3-4 years that's okay because you need to get your hours higher anyway. It's much easier to build time with a great FO schedule as you become more senior. Then upgrade and take the QOL hit.

own nav 07-23-2014 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by wstcstmag (Post 1690070)
With the exodus of regional captains moving to better places that will occur very soon you will likely have the opportunity to upgrade at the regional that you choose. Even if it is 3-4 years that's okay because you need to get your hours higher anyway.

I wish this were true. Then at least some of my former flight instructors would be at major airlines, and would be great references. Instead, they're loving it as RJ captains with no plans to move on.

Maybe it depends on the airline, but I just don't see a 3-4 year upgrade happening anytime soon for the better ones like SkyWest and Horizon.

Jetlife 07-25-2014 08:36 PM

People that brag about how they are home every night at AMF kill me. It's sad to see people with no concept of QOL.

Jetlife 07-25-2014 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by own nav (Post 1690089)
I wish this were true. Then at least some of my former flight instructors would be at major airlines, and would be great references. Instead, they're loving it as RJ captains with no plans to move on.

Maybe it depends on the airline, but I just don't see a 3-4 year upgrade happening anytime soon for the better ones like SkyWest and Horizon.

I fly with 2 guys that made CA at regionals in less than 2 years, it will take a while to get there again but it will.

ClarenceOver 07-25-2014 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jetlife (Post 1692096)
People that brag about how they are home every night at AMF kill me. It's sad to see people with no concept of QOL.

If you went to work at amf id do you a favor and kill you.

eman 07-26-2014 01:41 AM

C.O...have you worked there?

Jetlife, you may be Right because of your base but having the chance to live in home base and with a schedule like we had at MIA life was better than the crappy 135's and other "airlines" down here.

Life isn't perfect anywhere, even at the majors guys are whining....it's all bout perspective. AMF isn't as bad as a lot of people paint it but then again Im sure other bases were miserable...I had to listen to the stories at KBED of what some guys went through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frmrbuffdrvr 07-26-2014 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by eman (Post 1692173)
C.O...have you worked there?

He doesn't have 135 mins yet.

Snapshot217 07-26-2014 04:01 AM

Hey all, I'm heading to the Open House this weekend in Dayton. Any tips for making a good impression, besides the obvious? Apparently Sherri Hudson is no longer the pilot recruiter, she's been replaced by David Hanson who I talked to over the phone last week and seems like a nice guy. As far as attire goes, should I go full tilt with the suit or will a nice dress shirt, tie, and slacks be the way to go? Anyone else heading there?