Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

Jetlife 08-22-2015 11:42 AM

It's a training Dept full of ERAU super heros that get those cultural marching orders from above. To be fair the 121 world will correct you on improper callout verbiage too

frmrbuffdrvr 08-24-2015 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Facebitten (Post 1954378)
have your flows down

yeah have your "flows" down aka memorize the entire checklist verbatim. and whobetide you if you say LIGHTS ON INSTEAD OF LIGHTS SET. literally the worst traning ive ever seen. they BRAGGED about their 40 percent failure rate. which is probably worse than that. go anywhere else but here if you value your tickets and pria.

Originally Posted by Jetlife (Post 1954700)
It's a training Dept full of ERAU super heros that get those cultural marching orders from above. To be fair the 121 world will correct you on improper callout verbiage too

You're both a couple of years out of date on your info. These days we don't have the luxury of failing someone for a bad call out (unless it continues and continues and continues... You get the picture.)

We still seem to have a pretty high wash out rate but most of them are pilots who just can't fly basic instruments or . We have been working to counter that by paying for a week of refresher instrument training for everyone prior to Indoc.

LRSRanger 08-24-2015 09:00 AM

It's pretty hard to get blown out of training at this point, but it's a lot less painful for yourself and the training department if you just come prepared and knowledgable. You are responsible for all the knowledge and skills required to obtain all the ratings on your certificate, whether you are at AMF, a 121, or a part 91 gig. If you are only as good as the piece of plastic in your wallet says you are, and have a good attitude and study habits, you will have absolutely no problems. But if during online training I have to explain the fundamentals of how to fly a charted DME arc or how to not wind up 1000 feet high at the MAP, you might not make it, because you didn't know the basic knowledge that your ticket says you should.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lasko 08-24-2015 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by LRSRanger (Post 1955801)
It's pretty hard to get blown out of training at this point, but it's a lot less painful for yourself and the training department if you just come prepared and knowledgable. You are responsible for all the knowledge and skills required to obtain all the ratings on your certificate, whether you are at AMF, a 121, or a part 91 gig. If you are only as good as the piece of plastic in your wallet says you are, and have a good attitude and study habits, you will have absolutely no problems. But if during online training I have to explain the fundamentals of how to fly a charted DME arc or how to not wind up 1000 feet high at the MAP, you might not make it, because you didn't know the basic knowledge that your ticket says you should.

Before you judge others, make sure you are perfect. (Especially on a public forum)

LRSRanger 08-24-2015 10:40 AM

Ameriflight

Never said I was perfect. All I said is to be successful do your due diligence to make sure you are up to PTS standards if you want to be successful at AMF. No more, no less. Are you insinuating those standards are just too high? If insisting on PTS performance makes me seem holier than thou, so be it.

own nav 08-24-2015 01:26 PM

Good post.

There seems to be an assertion that the training department wants you to fail, or that you are somehow rolling the dice by going into AMF training. Completely false. I absolutely agree, training will be so much easier if you come prepared.

If you get on the back side of the curve, keep your head up, keep progressing, don't destabilize the plane trying to get back to where you should be.

kingsnake2 08-24-2015 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr (Post 1955772)
You're both a couple of years out of date on your info. These days we don't have the luxury of failing someone for a bad call out (unless it continues and continues and continues... You get the picture.)

We still seem to have a pretty high wash out rate but most of them are pilots who just can't fly basic instruments or . We have been working to counter that by paying for a week of refresher instrument training for everyone prior to Indoc.

And that week of refresher time is done at US Aviation Academy for those that are curious.

Jetlife 08-24-2015 04:00 PM

But if during online training I have to explain the fundamentals of how to fly a charted DME arc or how to not wind up 1000 feet high at the MAP, you might not make it, because you didn't know the basic knowledge that your ticket says you should.

This sentence right here is exactly what I am talking about when I say cultural marching orders from above. I know who you got that from lol.

Jetlife 08-24-2015 04:40 PM

Having fundamentals and basics are one thing. To be given obscure sim profiles in which you already will have degraded SA, and holding people to high standards only to criticize their every error is a ridiculous environment IMO. Single pilot IFR ain't for everyone, but the washout rate at AMF even still, would indicate that half of the pilots in the U.S. cannot fly on instruments, yet CRJs aren't having instrument proficiency related accidents. Thats where the washouts from AMF are going, and passing. Ironically, I know a guy who washed out of training at a regional, and passed training at AMF...

LRSRanger 08-24-2015 06:56 PM

Ameriflight

Yea, I've heard some horror stories of "back in the day", and I have absolutely no doubt they were true, because there are pricks in every line of work. I can only guess that it was because they could; for every position they had a bunch of applicants. Anymore, we need pilots, and we can't afford for people to drop from training. Thats why you go to instrument school at an independent flight school before you go to indoc, we want you to succeed. The failures I've had during line training were folks who we gave almost 4 weeks of in-aircraft training to (over 50 hours of hands on flying the line/offline flights from the left seat), and they were still making mistakes that, had I not intervened, would have resulted in a crash. (i.e. Flying a flagged glide slope, spinning the wrong radial in FAF inbound etc. not some silly procedural crap like "lights on" vs "lights set") I'm a pilot, not a management cool-aid drinker, and it really sucks to wash a fellow aviator. But I can't sign someone off for a checkride when they are routinely making fatal errors. Be ready, know your stuff, study hard, and be prepared to fly the plane from the left seat with no help from me.