Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

frmrbuffdrvr 06-08-2016 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by sobo (Post 2142029)
Yeah I figured that out pretty quickly, also the differences in the 3 types of APU's.

According to the SOP their is only the 120ER and the Garrett 150AA APU.

Only thing that's a little confusing right now is that the flows are different in the packet the training department assembled in comparison the flows in the SOP. Hoping to get that resolved ASAP.

-Alex

Edit: Also, does anyone know what the average day entails for a EMB120 FO based at BFI? Such as show time, duties, etc?

The SOP was just revised and hasn't been sent out yet. I would guess the training dept flows reflect the new SOP, but I can't say for certain without seeing them.

There are two E120 runs in BFI. One goes to Pasco and the other goes to Yakima and Walla Walla. Show time is about 0530 and you are back in base by 7PM. You have a layover at the outstation but I don't think you get legal rest. Even if you get 8 hours, you don't need to count it because you DEFINITELY get legal rest at night.

sobo 06-08-2016 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by aTomatoFlames (Post 2142048)
Follow the training department flows, my sim partner and I weren't sent the training department flows. Needless to say that was an interesting day one...the training manager was like what are you guys doing?

When did you have class? The SOP I have is revision 3.15.2016.

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr (Post 2142059)
The SOP was just revised and hasn't been sent out yet. I would guess the training dept flows reflect the new SOP, but I can't say for certain without seeing them.

There are two E120 runs in BFI. One goes to Pasco and the other goes to Yakima and Walla Walla. Show time is about 0530 and you are back in base by 7PM. You have a layover at the outstation but I don't think you get legal rest. Even if you get 8 hours, you don't need to count it because you DEFINITELY get legal rest at night.

Awesome thanks for the information. I have a relatively new SOP but I think I guess I will need to figure out for sure before I commit to learning these flows.

-Alex

own nav 06-08-2016 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by astofila (Post 2141975)
does anyone know if they do home base for be99 pilots

Yes. I know of at least one. Whether they will hire you direct into the 99 for home base would be a good conversation to have with a recruiter.

astofila 06-08-2016 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by sobo (Post 2139467)
Got my offer letter for the EMB-120 a few weeks ago.

680TT, 200ME, 140 Turbine, 105 IMC, 70 NT. 400X Country

BFI Base, $31,000/yr. $35 per diem, no training contract. 9/hr in training. Training 4-5 weeks in Dallas/Atlanta.

Sent me a box of self study material. Should be interesting to see how it goes.

Gouge:
1. You just departed Dallas, there's a T-Storm directly in front of you. What direction do you go around it?
2. You are at 10,000ft you need to descend to 1,000ft. When do you begin your descent?
3. Wx is below mins, can you depart? Wx is below mins can you shoot the approach? Wx is below mins, can you shoot the approach after the FAF?
4. IFR alternate requirements (Wanted 91, I gave both 91 and 135)
5. Departure alternates
6. Holding speeds
7. Max airspeeds (under 10k, Class B)
8. Tell me about a time you were in an emergency, what did you do?

May be forgetting a few more.

Interview took about 1.5 hours on the phone after all the HR type questions. Seems like a pretty good gig so far! No in person interview.

-Alex

in regards to question 3 would the answer to (can you take off below WX min), that would be NO right?

sobo 06-08-2016 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by astofila (Post 2142183)
in regards to question 3 would the answer to (can you take off below WX min), that would be NO right?

Weather at the destination is below minimums. Can you depart and try to complete the flight?

astofila 06-08-2016 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by sobo (Post 2142209)
Weather at the destination is below minimums. Can you depart and try to complete the flight?

oh if asked like that then yes but you'll need to file an alternate

Is that correct answer?

Flyinlynn 06-08-2016 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by astofila (Post 2142213)
oh if asked like that then yes but you'll need to file an alternate

Is that correct answer?

§ 135.219 IFR: Destination airport weather minimums. No person may take off an aircraft under IFR or begin an IFR or over-the-top operation unless the latest weather reports or forecasts, or any combination of them, indicate that weather conditions at the estimated time of arrival at the next airport of intended landing will be at or above authorized IFR landing minimums.

§ 135.217 IFR: Takeoff limitations.
No person may takeoff an aircraft under IFR from an airport where weather conditions are at or above takeoff minimums but are below authorized IFR landing minimums unless there is an alternate airport within 1 hour's flying time (at normal cruising speed, in still air) of the airport of departure.

astofila 06-08-2016 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Flyinlynn (Post 2142217)
§ 135.219 IFR: Destination airport weather minimums. No person may take off an aircraft under IFR or begin an IFR or over-the-top operation unless the latest weather reports or forecasts, or any combination of them, indicate that weather conditions at the estimated time of arrival at the next airport of intended landing will be at or above authorized IFR landing minimums.

§ 135.217 IFR: Takeoff limitations.
No person may takeoff an aircraft under IFR from an airport where weather conditions are at or above takeoff minimums but are below authorized IFR landing minimums unless there is an alternate airport within 1 hour's flying time (at normal cruising speed, in still air) of the airport of departure.

so basically you can't takeoff if your airport of intended landing is below mins

Flyinlynn 06-08-2016 07:39 PM

That's how I read it

Information about weather going below minimums while on approach

§ 135.225 IFR: Takeoff, approach and landing minimums.
(a) Except to the extent permitted by paragraph (b) of this section, no pilot may begin an instrument approach procedure to an airport unless—
(1) That airport has a weather reporting facility operated by the U.S. National Weather Service, a source approved by U.S. National Weather Service, or a source approved by the Administrator; and
(2) The latest weather report issued by that weather reporting facility indicates that weather conditions are at or above the authorized IFR landing minimums for that airport.
(b) A pilot conducting an eligible on-demand operation may begin an instrument approach procedure to an airport that does not have a weather reporting facility operated by the U.S. National Weather Service, a source approved by the U.S. National Weather Service, or a source approved by the Administrator if—
(1) The alternate airport has a weather reporting facility operated by the U.S. National Weather Service, a source approved by the U.S. National Weather Service, or a source approved by the Administrator; and
(2) The latest weather report issued by the weather reporting facility includes a current local altimeter setting for the destination airport. If no local altimeter setting for the destination airport is available, the pilot may use the current altimeter setting provided by the facility designated on the approach chart for the destination airport.
(c) If a pilot has begun the final approach segment of an instrument approach to an airport under paragraph (b) of this section, and the pilot receives a later weather report indicating that conditions have worsened to below the minimum requirements, then the pilot may continue the approach only if the requirements of§ 91.175(l) of this chapter, or both of the following conditions, are met—
(1) The later weather report is received when the aircraft is in one of the following approach phases:
(i) The aircraft is on an ILS final approach and has passed the final approach fix;
(ii) The aircraft is on an ASR or PAR final approach and has been turned over to the final approach controller; or
(iii) The aircraft is on a nonprecision final approach and the aircraft—
(A) Has passed the appropriate facility or final approach fix; or
(B) Where a final approach fix is not specified, has completed the procedure turn and is established inbound toward the airport on the final approach course within the distance prescribed in the procedure; and
(2) The pilot in command finds, on reaching the authorized MDA or DA/DH, that the actual weather conditions are at or above the minimums prescribed for the procedure being used.
(d) If a pilot has begun the final approach segment of an instrument approach to an airport under paragraph (c) of this section and a later weather report indicating below minimum conditions is received after the aircraft is—
(1) On an ILS final approach and has passed the final approach fix; or
(2) On an ASR or PAR final approach and has been turned over to the final approach controller; or
(3) On a final approach using a VOR, NDB, or comparable approach procedure; and the aircraft—
(i) Has passed the appropriate facility or final approach fix; or
(ii) Where a final approach fix is not specified, has completed the procedure turn and is established inbound toward the airport on the final approach course within the distance prescribed in the procedure; the approach may be continued and a landing made if the pilot finds, upon reaching the authorized MDA or DH, that actual weather conditions are at least equal to the minimums prescribed for the procedure.
(e) The MDA or DA/DH and visibility landing minimums prescribed inpart 97 of this chapter or in the operator's operations specifications are increased by 100 feet and 1/2 mile respectively, but not to exceed the ceiling and visibility minimums for that airport when used as an alternate airport, for each pilot in command of a turbine-powered airplane who has not served at least 100 hours as pilot in command in that type of airplane.
(f) Each pilot making an IFR takeoff or approach and landing at a military or foreign airport shall comply with applicable instrument approach procedures and weather minimums prescribed by the authority having jurisdiction over that airport. In addition, unless authorized by the certificate holder's operations specifications, no pilot may, at that airport—
(1) Take off under IFR when the visibility is less than 1 mile; or
(2) Make an instrument approach when the visibility is less than1/2 mile.
(g) If takeoff minimums are specified inpart 97 of this chapter for the take- off airport, no pilot may take off an aircraft under IFR when the weather conditions reported by the facility described in paragraph (a)(1) of this section are less than the takeoff minimums specified for the takeoff airport in part 97 or in the certificate holder's operations specifications.
(h) Except as provided in paragraph (i) of this section, if takeoff minimums are not prescribed inpart 97 of this chapter for the takeoff airport, no pilot may takeoff an aircraft under IFR when the weather conditions reported by the facility described in paragraph (a)(1) of this section are less than that prescribed in part 91 of this chapter or in the certificate holder's operations specifications.
(i) At airports where straight-in instrument approach procedures are authorized, a pilot may takeoff an aircraft under IFR when the weather conditions reported by the facility described in paragraph (a)(1) of this section are equal to or better than the lowest straight-in landing minimums, unless otherwise restricted, if—
(1) The wind direction and velocity at the time of takeoff are such that a straight-in instrument approach can be made to the runway served by the instrument approach;
(2) The associated ground facilities upon which the landing minimums are predicated and the related airborne equipment are in normal operation; and
(3) The certificate holder has been approved for such operations.

sobo 06-09-2016 06:29 AM

That's correct. Under 135 regs you may not depart if your destination airport wx is reporting below minimums.