Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

Dak in back 08-13-2016 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR (Post 2179580)
Why do you say that?

Was this something said to prospective pilots that were applying to Atlas?

No this guy is just a douche. I was posting in the Atlas forums and he is trolling me since I'm new to the forums. AMF looks good on a resume.

LAXative 08-13-2016 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR (Post 2179580)
Why do you say that?

Was this something said to prospective pilots that were applying to Atlas?

Atlas looks for guys ready to fly heavies across the pond and AMF definitely does not prepare you for that. AMF is fine prep for the regionals.

LAXative 08-13-2016 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Dak in back (Post 2179583)
No this guy is just a douche. I was posting in the Atlas forums and he is trolling me since I'm new to the forums. AMF looks good on a resume.

Not trolling you, just giving you the hard truth. Who says AMF looks good on a resume.... You?

Dak in back 08-13-2016 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by LAXative (Post 2179587)
Not trolling you, just giving you the hard truth. Who says AMF looks good on a resume.... You?

This forum isn't even about Atlas, but you saw fit to follow me on here. Yeah I sure do. I never said it was a gateway to heavy flying, but it definitely helped me when I decided to take the next step. I had my pick of corporate and regional carriers, plenty of job offers, and I credit that to my time at AMF instead of just going from a CFI job to an airline like a lot of folks do. To get BACK on topic, don't skip turboprops. This kind of flying (especially in the 99 where it's all hand flying, paper charts, and below the flight levels right in the thick of the weather; and the Metro where you really learn how to manage an airplane) will hone your skills.

LAXative 08-13-2016 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Dak in back (Post 2179591)
This forum isn't even about Atlas, but you saw fit to follow me on here. Yeah I sure do. I never said it was a gateway to heavy flying, but it definitely helped me when I decided to take the next step. I had my pick of corporate and regional carriers, plenty of job offers, and I credit that to my time at AMF instead of just going from a CFI job to an airline like a lot of folks do. To get BACK on topic, don't skip turboprops. This kind of flying (especially in the 99 where it's all hand flying, paper charts, and below the flight levels right in the thick of the weather; and the Metro where you really learn how to manage an airplane) will hone your skills.

Climb out from underneath your rock.... EVERYBODY has their pick of regionals nowadays. Your time at AMF doesn't mean squat to a jet carrier. If anything, I'd argue that it's a detriment to your career.

USMCFLYR 08-13-2016 09:13 AM

Maybe times have changed LAX - but from many years on this forum I'll say that it seemed that AMF on the cargo side and Cape Air on the pax side certainly did hold some sway with recruiters when you are climbing the ladder. Good job/recruiters know of the type of flying involved in those positions and possibly give it more credit that extra CFI time (meaning there is a point when you've got your CFI experience and now they would like to see you continually moving up the ranks to different and even more challenging types of flying).

Unless you have sit across from an Atlas recruiter and s/he told you face to face that AMF flying is not looked upon favorably - - then I'll take your view as an opinion - and I thank you for that since I asked a question and you answered.
But weighted no differently than someone else' opinion that is worth a second look at a certain stage of a career.

GreenWater 08-13-2016 09:18 AM

Ameriflight

Originally Posted by Dak in back (Post 2179583)

There's a guy like that on every forum and at every outfit around the globe. Just let him blah blah blah for awhile and he'll eventually get bored and latch onto someone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LAXative 08-13-2016 09:20 AM

Majors want their civilian guys to have crew experience and be well grounded in CRM. AMF doesn't give that. Even the AMF E-120 as their copilots are so low time that you are just basically a babysitter.

Dak in back 08-13-2016 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by GreenWater (Post 2179403)
My phone interview went well today. Should know something next week. They talked about a Sept. 12 class so we'll see what happens.

If you're on the 99 and don't get your training materials in the next week or so, PM me and I'll see what I can do. I have lots of buddies there and can try to get you PDFs of systems and profiles. I have paper copies so at the very least I'll scan the flows and profiles and send them to you. FLOWS FLOWS FLOWS. Everybody will tell you that but if you're prepared in that area before you go the rest will be much easier. Also be store to ask your instructor to open the sims over the weekend. The guys that went partying went home. Those of us that spent 8-10 hours sat and sun practing in the sims didn't. If it's the same sims i trained in you'll either be on a 99 or a 1900. It's a coin toss, and they're both ancient. The more time you have practicing and even just observing and playing ATC with your peers will help. Find a group that's serious about working hard and "cooperate to graduate." I know, lots of hyperbole, but it's the truth. I think it's three weeks now, was two when I went through, but either way it's a lot in a short span. The biggest thing I flew alone prior to the 99 was a Twin Commanche. Once you get on the line to do your IOE its all downhill. The training captains are sharp and you'll be flying every day. Good luck!

GreenWater 08-13-2016 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Dak in back (Post 2179628)
If you're on the 99 and don't get your training materials in the next week or so, PM me and I'll see what I can do. I have lots of buddies there and can try to get you PDFs of systems and profiles. I have paper copies so at the very least I'll scan the flows and profiles and send them to you. FLOWS FLOWS FLOWS. Everybody will tell you that but if you're prepared in that area before you go the rest will be much easier. Also be store to ask your instructor to open the sims over the weekend. The guys that went partying went home. Those of us that spent 8-10 hours sat and sun practing in the sims didn't. If it's the same sims i trained in you'll either be on a 99 or a 1900. It's a coin toss, and they're both ancient. The more time you have practicing and even just observing and playing ATC with your peers will help. Find a group that's serious about working hard and "cooperate to graduate." I know, lots of hyperbole, but it's the truth. I think it's three weeks now, was two when I went through, but either way it's a lot in a short span. The biggest thing I flew alone prior to the 99 was a Twin Commanche. Once you get on the line to do your IOE its all downhill. The training captains are sharp and you'll be flying every day. Good luck!

I applied for FO on the 120 but in the interview the recruiter suggested FO on the Metro or 1900 to build time quicker. Will have to wait until next week to see if I even get an offer.