Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

Jetlife 08-18-2016 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by LRSRanger (Post 2183222)
I'm not aware of anyone thinking AMF will get them to the majors. When I was there most folks were there to get TPIC and ME time to get over ATP mins and move on. Most of my class quit within months, having accomplished their goals. Whether AMF or some other company I believe that feeder cargo on ones resume is a plus. But I don't think 3 years of it is any better than 1 year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed 100%

Gapilot 08-19-2016 01:42 PM

Hire any VFR pilots?

I was wondering does Ameriflight still hire VFR Captain? If they do, where do they usually sent them for the OPS? Do they pay at the 44k for the VFR OPS? And last question is what the requirements they have for hiring a VFR pilot?

Thanks.

frmrbuffdrvr 08-19-2016 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Gapilot (Post 2183995)
I was wondering does Ameriflight still hire VFR Captain? If they do, where do they usually sent them for the OPS? Do they pay at the 44k for the VFR OPS? And last question is what the requirements they have for hiring a VFR pilot?

Thanks.

I believe we do. They are hired as PA31 captains, mostly in ABQ. There is no separate pay scale for a VFR captain that I am aware of.

135 VFR captain requirements are in FAR 135.243 (b).

Gapilot 08-19-2016 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr (Post 2184066)
I believe we do. They are hired as PA31 captains, mostly in ABQ. There is no separate pay scale for a VFR captain that I am aware of.

135 VFR captain requirements are in FAR 135.243 (b).

Thanks frmrbuffdrvr. So best thing for me would be to get in touch with the recruiter at Ameriflight and see about getting hired on as a VFR pilot with them if they like my resume and I have a good enough skills to show that I am willing to learn the plane and their operation to say let bring me on as an employee for their company?

frmrbuffdrvr 08-19-2016 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Gapilot (Post 2184100)
Thanks frmrbuffdrvr. So best thing for me would be to get in touch with the recruiter at Ameriflight and see about getting hired on as a VFR pilot with them if they like my resume and I have a good enough skills to show that I am willing to learn the plane and their operation to say let bring me on as an employee for their company?

Definitely take with them. If they don't have any current VFR captain spots, you still might be able to get on as an FO, either in the E120, metro or BE1900.

42jeff 08-20-2016 01:56 PM

Good luck with all that.

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr (Post 2184264)
Definitely take with them. If they don't have any current VFR captain spots, you still might be able to get on as an FO, either in the E120, metro or BE1900.

Speaking with a recruiter that is. I spoke with a recruiter three weeks ago to set up an interview for the next day (July 27th) for a B1900 or Metro PIC slot. He called an hour late the next day for the interview, then we had the interview and he said since it was Osh Kosh week nothing will be done until the following week so I should hear something by the end of the next week --roughly Aug 5th. So I waited. And waited.
This week he calls to update my hours and get some clarification on a couple things and I'm told I'm going up for review the next day (the 17th) so I will hear something by Friday. I'm still waiting for a call. If they keep this up and I keep getting hours like I currently am, I may as well just wait and go apply at Endeavor or one of the other regionals.

Dak in back 08-20-2016 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by PrettyFlyGuy (Post 2181274)
I know this isn't an Atlas thread and I don't usually get involved in this stuff, but a guy up here in Alaska I fly with just interviewed there on his last rotation home and received the job offer with an unknown class date. He has all c207 piston time and very little multi. So Atlas seems to be a who you know not where you come from type company(his cfi works there).
Anyway I would think a guy from AMF with lots of turbine PIC single pilot IFR would go somewhere better than Atlas/Polar.
All of our 135 single pilot guys here in Alaska seem to leave straight for Jet Blue, Alaska or Frontier and skip the regionals/knock off cargo operators.

Out of curiosity why is AMF so bad considering they pay more than most entry level multi jobs and are a quick route to PIC time? Plus a type rating that would make easy transition to a king air job if the airline route didn't work out. Not being a dick just really want an inside opinion.

PS my father is a retired chief pilot from the ol' US Airways out of the west coast and when I asked about Ameriflight he said he had no clue who that was lol. He always says that he never looked at the previous employer that detailed it was about knowing they could hand fly by the "seat of their pants" he started as an old school metro liner/1900 guy. He said I can train you to push buttons at the right time but I'm not gonna teach you how to fly lol

There is a reason they have to pay so much. They've been hemmoraging talent for a while now. Pay is great and the flying is a hell of a lot of fun, but the recruiters flat out lie. I worked a six day week. I was off sat night to Monday evening so I had 48 hrs off but let's be real any day you have to go to work is a work day. I also got screwed out of a large bonus by the company. Management is a game of musical chairs and every month they roll out some new policy or plan only to abandon it later. The main reason is quality of life. I hate the airlines, but I'm home a few days every week at least. Am flight will never approve your request for time off. Its so bad that some base managers encourage employees to call in sick to get time off (looking at you, San Juan.) I support this, honestly. The company doesn't own you. Pilots have the leverage and they are using it thankfully. If it was a regular airline schedule of 4-5 days on and 2-4 days off in between it wouldn't just be tolerable, it would be a great place to work. I knows I probably sound like a whiner, and I recent people that whine. I'm just telling how it felt to me. I flew there two years on a 6 day workweek. Plenty of down time during the day, but never felt like I ever caught up on sleep. Get your TPIC and get out. Until management addresses quality of life, that's my suggestion. Hope this helps to clarify why AMF is the way it is.

Dak in back 08-20-2016 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by 42jeff (Post 2184682)
Speaking with a recruiter that is. I spoke with a recruiter three weeks ago to set up an interview for the next day (July 27th) for a B1900 or Metro PIC slot. He called an hour late the next day for the interview, then we had the interview and he said since it was Osh Kosh week nothing will be done until the following week so I should hear something by the end of the next week --roughly Aug 5th. So I waited. And waited.
This week he calls to update my hours and get some clarification on a couple things and I'm told I'm going up for review the next day (the 17th) so I will hear something by Friday. I'm still waiting for a call. If they keep this up and I keep getting hours like I currently am, I may as well just wait and go apply at Endeavor or one of the other regionals.

Probably a good idea. They need pilots so bad, yet can't get around to calling back talent. However if you don't have enough time for a 121 carrier I'm wondering who promised you direct entry into a metro. Hours wise they will probably end up putting you in a 99 unless you have a ton of me turbine time.

Jetlife 08-20-2016 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by 42jeff (Post 2184682)

There are plenty of companies out there that will fight for your employment. Sucks to see you get the run around if AMF is indeed where you want to go. If you meet mins to go to the regionals I would recommend doing that.

Hand Commander 08-20-2016 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by LRSRanger (Post 2183222)
I'm not aware of anyone thinking AMF will get them to the majors. When I was there most folks were there to get TPIC and ME time to get over ATP mins and move on. Most of my class quit within months, having accomplished their goals. Whether AMF or some other company I believe that feeder cargo on ones resume is a plus. But I don't think 3 years of it is any better than 1 year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed. There's really no benefit in staying after you fulfilled the TPIC requirement for many applications. You can stay longer and get one to three type ratings but its still turbo prop time. Ameriflight has never been able to demonstrate a direct path from their company to major airlines. Yeah, there's been a few that have gone directly to Alaska and Continental/United but the number is way less than 10. Until they can show a path, there's no reason to stay for any length of time if the airlines are your goal because you'll have to go to a regional anyway. We've seen very senior brasilia captains leave for places like Mesa to improve their resumes because Ameriflight alone wasn't enough to get looked at by the majors. In the mean time, the hemorrhaging of pilots and money will continue.