Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 03:27 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005

Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
It's endoured on the backs of its employees. I will give AMF that.
Slaves were freed years ago. I assume you were a volunteer. I was one too.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:44 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2017

Does anyone have any intel on Flap Operator slots coming available.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:00 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Ameriflight is advertising a VFR-only PA31 pilot position at Phoenix.

https://ameriflight.hrmdirect.com/em...ampaign=Indeed

Will these flights not be filing IFR flight plans? If an airport is IMC, will flights to that airport be postponed or cancelled?
Old 01-22-2017, 05:53 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2016

Originally Posted by PT6 Flyer View Post

Will these flights not be filing IFR flight plans? If an airport is IMC, will flights to that airport be postponed or cancelled?
I wonder if there any Ameriflight pilot that are doing the CA VFR pilot and is it possible to be able to go home on weekend or can a person be able to do a two week on and two week off deal or are you working every week? I am thinking of putting in for the VFR pilot position, because I would like to get a flying job and if I get hired I work to where I can move back to the Northwest when I can move to the IFR 135 job in either the PDX or SEA. The reason is I have a family and I wonder if anyone was able to do something like this while having a young kid with the spouse working at the same time.

Thanks for any tips or response to my question
Old 01-22-2017, 06:01 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2016

Originally Posted by PT6 Flyer View Post

They will be on a VFR flight plan. These "VFR only" jobs are a way for Ameriflight to hire captains at 800 hours and help them get to 1200 hours so they can be an regular captain at the company. The flight will not go if the weather is IFR. However, in PHX and ABQ - this is rarely a thing.

Originally Posted by Gapilot View Post
I wonder if there any Ameriflight pilot that are doing the CA VFR pilot and is it possible to be able to go home on weekend or can a person be able to do a two week on and two week off deal or are you working every week? I am thinking of putting in for the VFR pilot position, because I would like to get a flying job and if I get hired I work to where I can move back to the Northwest when I can move to the IFR 135 job in either the PDX or SEA. The reason is I have a family and I wonder if anyone was able to do something like this while having a young kid with the spouse working at the same time.

Thanks for any tips or response to my question
I would assume not. The company isn't exactly desperate for VFR only drivers. Like I said above, it's simply a way to turn an unqualified candidate into a qualified IFR captain, fast, and under the AMF umbrella.

If I was you, I would apply for a EMB-120 First officer position as there are three EMB's in PDX and SEA. Beech 99 positions are easy to come by in PDX after you reach 1200 hours.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:09 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by sobo View Post
They will be on a VFR flight plan. These "VFR only" jobs are a way for Ameriflight to hire captains at 800 hours and help them get to 1200 hours so they can be an regular captain at the company. The flight will not go if the weather is IFR. However, in PHX and ABQ - this is rarely a thing.

I would assume not. The company isn't exactly desperate for VFR only drivers. Like I said above, it's simply a way to turn an unqualified candidate into a qualified IFR captain, fast, and under the AMF umbrella.

If I was you, I would apply for a EMB-120 First officer position as there are three EMB's in PDX and SEA. Beech 99 positions are easy to come by in PDX after you reach 1200 hours.
Just to be sure I understand, for someone like me who has a family, it more recommened that I go for the FO spot on the Emb-120 then try and get on as a VFR Capt? Sound like if I went and get hired as a VFR CA it would be tough to get chance to be home, which I would be away for awhile till I get the 1200 hour to move over to the PDX or SEA to fly the Beech 99.

I went to the Ameriflight website and it look like they had bumped up their requirement for the FO it went from 500 to 800 TT. I am guessing they have alot of people in the pool for the Emb-120 but it doesnt show just for the aircraft it just states FO requirements. maybe you might know sobo are they putting fo on the other aircraft the 1900 and the the metro?

Last edited by Gapilot; 01-22-2017 at 06:27 PM. Reason: info on FO position
Old 01-22-2017, 07:19 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2016

Originally Posted by Gapilot View Post
Just to be sure I understand, for someone like me who has a family, it more recommened that I go for the FO spot on the Emb-120 then try and get on as a VFR Capt? Sound like if I went and get hired as a VFR CA it would be tough to get chance to be home, which I would be away for awhile till I get the 1200 hour to move over to the PDX or SEA to fly the Beech 99.

I went to the Ameriflight website and it look like they had bumped up their requirement for the FO it went from 500 to 800 TT. I am guessing they have alot of people in the pool for the Emb-120 but it doesnt show just for the aircraft it just states FO requirements. maybe you might know sobo are they putting fo on the other aircraft the 1900 and the the metro?
Get on the E-120 and stay on it until 1200. Otherwise be prepared to sacrifice your home life until you hit 1200.

They do put people as first officers in the Metro and the B1900, but not in the PNW. This is typically high-time only runs and will land you doing glow flights in the east.

We are a 4.5 days on, 2.5 days off company. Home based captains and system wide reserve is typically only for B99 and larger equipment captains only.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:26 PM
Line Holder

Get on the E-120 and stay on it until 1200. Otherwise be prepared to sacrifice your home life until you hit 1200.

They do put people as first officers in the Metro and the B1900, but not in the PNW. This is typically high-time only runs and will land you doing glow flights in the east.

We are a 4.5 days on, 2.5 days off company. Home based captains and system wide reserve is typically only for B99 and larger equipment captains only.
Thanks Sobo, I very much thank you taking the time to answer a few of my questions, it help me to think about what I need to do for myself and my family, I have been thinking of doing Ameriflight which I hope to meet the recruiters this coming Feb 25-26 for the Northwest Aviation show if they are planning to be there for the show in the Seattle area.

I would really like to fly for them especially in the FO program that would lead to the captains spot on the B99 I will be checking in on the website though out the year and try to keep my flying up as much as I can and work toward that 1200 hour.

Thanks again.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:54 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Sobo, thanks for the info. I really appreciate your help.

It seems that AMF is always advertising for PA31 pilots in PHX and ABQ (IFR as well as VFR, I'm not sure). Why? Is it because, as you say, pilots get their 1,200 hours and then move onto something like a B99? Or is there anything about the PA31 PHX and ABQ runs that people do not like?

Last edited by PT6 Flyer; 01-22-2017 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Out of curiosity, do the EMB120s all have a GPS installed and are you guys using an efb at all?