Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Old 03-09-2017, 07:47 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Dec 2016

Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
I am not talking smack when I say this, but my guess is that anyone that has any ounce of carer progression is going to have a red flag on their resume. Older guys are less likely to leave for a regional or leave in general. The best candidate for AMF is somebody who isn't in the hustle to get to the next step. Training costs are either the number 1 or number 2 largest expense for a company. Lowering the cost of training by keeping people is how they are going to survive.
Makes complete sense!
Old 03-09-2017, 07:48 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by B1900D View Post
Makes complete sense!
It is completely agist but you can see the applicants in the new hire class on their IG or FB feeds. Lots of older pilots. That isn't on accident.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by F50driver View Post
Question about the payscale listed: The $44000,- yearly for the BE99 starts after the trainingwage? Or is it from day 1 incl. the trainingwage?

Is it true that healthcare is now fully covered by the company?

Thanks,
That is the pay starting once you are on the aircraft pay scale. So it starts after you complete training.

Healthcare is not fully covered. There is a monthly premium and a $5000 or $10000 deductible (individual or spouse/family.) Depending on the premium you choose to pay, you have to cover a portion of the deductible and them AMF will issue a prepaid card to cover the rest. At the highest premium, you are responsible for the first 10% of the deductible ($500 or $1000) and then AMF covers up to the max for the year. At that point the insurance kicks in to cover 80%.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:27 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Edgewoodrx View Post
I'm an older pilot in my late 50,s presently flying Part 135 night freight. After a break from flying for a few years I have taken this entry level freight job to regain currency and make myself marketable. Looking at AMF as a final stopping place in my career.

I know being a freight dog is hardly a primadonna life and I accept that. My current job is all weather, humping freight, back side of the clock, etc, etc. Please don't interpret this as a spoiled whiner post. I'm ok with hard work but before I commit to my last few flying years with a company I have some QOL questions that need answering.

Here's my questions for those who can help:

1. How long (typically) are the crew days? I know there are exceptions but what could a guy really expect each day. I ask because if my commute to the airport is 1 hour and the crew day is the max 14 hours I feel I am setting myself up for failure if I expect to do a 16 hour day, 5 days a week.

2. If the work day is 14 hours, do most people generally live in an apartment 15 minutes from their base?

3. I am specifically interested in DFW. do any scheduled runs actually start from there or would I be a Dallas based relief pilot and be on the road 20 days a month?

I attended their pilot open house and asked these questions but really did not get a straight answer. Really nice folks and they seemed very interested in getting me started but I really wanted to get the straight scoop from recent/current AMF guys. Any extra info good or bad would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Since you are interested specifically in DFW, I'll address this with the actual runs we have.

The DFW base has a total number of slots for 2 BE99 pilots, 4 BE1900's and 2 SA227's. That isn't open positions, but the number we need to cover the runs out of the base. Once we get back to having all of the runs covered completely, we would obviously want a couple of reserve pilots as well.

Most of the runs are 14-15 hour duty day runs as you mentioned. Some of them actually get their required 9 hours rest at a hotel in the outstation during the day. For the couple that do get their rest at night, AMF still supplies a hotel during the day if you are going to be at the out station over 5 hours, which all of ours do.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:29 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Can anyone tell me how much the premiums are for employee plus spouse?
I don't recall off the top of my head. I can let you know after I get my pay stub tomorrow (Friday).
Old 03-09-2017, 08:37 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2014

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr View Post
I don't recall off the top of my head. I can let you know after I get my pay stub tomorrow (Friday).
Thank you Sir for answering both questions.

If there is a KSUS based pilot here on APC who is able to PM me
that will be appreciated.

thanks,
Old 03-09-2017, 08:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
I am not talking smack when I say this, but my guess is that anyone that has any ounce of carer progression is going to have a red flag on their resume. Older guys are less likely to leave for a regional or leave in general. The best candidate for AMF is somebody who isn't in the hustle to get to the next step. Training costs are either the number 1 or number 2 largest expense for a company. Lowering the cost of training by keeping people is how they are going to survive.
Originally Posted by B1900D View Post
Makes complete sense!
I don't agree with the idea of young guys having a red flag. Yes, one of the big reasons we are hiring older guys is that they will more likely stay around. But they also come in with the amount of time to be able to go direct to our type rated planes.

We still need younger, less experienced pilots to fly our PA31 and BE99 aircraft. Most older folks coming in looking for a second career are not going to want to go into a piston or small turbine aircraft. Those are for guys looking to still build time. But since the majority of folks leave relatively quickly from those planes, we still need to staff our typed planes. Hence the older mean age of our new hire classes.

We know younger pilots are going to move on fairly quickly. That's a fact of life. But we WOULD like to hire folks are willing to commit to stay at LEAST long enough for us to recoup our cost to train you. So if you aren't willing to stay at least that long (6 months to one year) why would AMF want to hire you?

Our reason for being in business is NOT to provide young pilots a way to build their careers. That is a byproduct of our operation. And we do want to make pilots who come here the very best pilots they can be. We do that to make our business more efficient and profitable. That is why we simply ask that if you come here, you stay long enough to make it worth our while to hire you.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:11 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2017

Which job fairs does AMF attend and have booths at?
Old 03-10-2017, 08:47 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2014

Thank you Sir for answering both questions.

If there is a KSUS based pilot here on APC who is able to PM me
that will be appreciated.

thanks,
And one more question which I wasn't able to find in this thread:

What kind of sim and where is the type rating obtained for the SA 227 and BE99?

Thanks again,
Old 03-10-2017, 09:59 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

And one more question which I wasn't able to find in this thread:

What kind of sim and where is the type rating obtained for the SA 227 and BE99?

Thanks again,
No type rating for the BE99, in house sim. The Sim for the Metro is in San Antonio.

See if this link works:
http://resources.flightsafety.com/PD...d_Regional.pdf