Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

frmrbuffdrvr 07-15-2017 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Omnipotent (Post 2394756)
When does the first UPS flow thru pilot start?

The first UPS interns are currently in training.

The UPS program is NOT an AMF flow program. It currently isn't even available to pilots hiring directly to AMF. It is a program for low time pilots to start off as an intern at UPS who come to AMF to build their time before going back to UPS.

Omnipotent 07-15-2017 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr (Post 2394793)
The first UPS interns are currently in training.

The UPS program is NOT an AMF flow program. It currently isn't even available to pilots hiring directly to AMF. It is a program for low time pilots to start off as an intern at UPS who come to AMF to build their time before going back to UPS.

Is AMF trying to make it a pure flow thru that makes all AMF pilots (regardless of background) able to flow to UPS, without interviewing, when their seniority number comes up?

Jetlife 07-15-2017 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Omnipotent (Post 2394772)
Why would they try to deceive pilots? Wouldn't that work against them in trying to retain pilots long term? The pilot knowing that the company tricked them, wouldn't help in fostering a healthy employee/company relationship.

The job of a recruiter isn't to retain pilots.

frmrbuffdrvr 07-17-2017 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Omnipotent (Post 2394796)
Is AMF trying to make it a pure flow thru that makes all AMF pilots (regardless of background) able to flow to UPS, without interviewing, when their seniority number comes up?

I am not aware of anything along those lines right now.

Hopefully if this program goes well and UPS is happy with the quality of pilots they are getting back we might be able to work out some kind of program.

I don't think it will ever involve no interview. Since UPS and AMF are totally separate companies, I doubt they would take one of our pilots with no investigation of their own as to the pilot's ability, knowledge and demeanor.

The reason they do it with this intern program is that they have already interviewed and selected these folks before they come to AMF.

pilotscott 07-17-2017 10:37 AM

Stay away from this place.... the training is very intense and not in a good way but a very bad way. If and when you complete your training you come out drained and worn out. All the stress isn't worth it because when you come out, if you pass it your only flying old crappy twins that look like they have seen better days. if you have low times good luck but if you have high times go somewhere else.

gatehold 07-17-2017 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by pilotscott (Post 2395752)
Stay away from this place.... the training is very intense and not in a good way but a very bad way. If and when you complete your training you come out drained and worn out. All the stress isn't worth it because when you come out, if you pass it your only flying old crappy twins that look like they have seen better days. if you have low times good luck but if you have high times go somewhere else.

I am not sure there was ever a training that wasn't 'intense'. If you complete training is up to the candidate, nothing more. Old crappy twins.. Freight... Old crappy twins, Freight..

You probably just described every single pilot freight operator.. Did you wash out of training? Single pilot cargo is not for everyone.

BlueJacketGuy 07-19-2017 08:27 PM

Anyone know if you join as a low time FO at 500 hours if you can later bracket into the accelerated Captain program on hitting 800 hours? What exactly is the difference in training and what the FO would do?

PrettyFlyGuy 07-19-2017 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by gatehold (Post 2395766)
I am not sure there was ever a training that wasn't 'intense'. If you complete training is up to the candidate, nothing more. Old crappy twins.. Freight... Old crappy twins, Freight..

You probably just described every single pilot freight operator.. Did you wash out of training? Single pilot cargo is not for everyone.

Currently flying single pilot freight for a company with nowhere near the finances that Ameriflight has with planes 20 years older that look nicer than anything they have. Our training was also less stressful but just as effective. My instructor was ex Ameriflight with 2000 hours there in the 1900 and he couldn't even describe how crappy the training department is. Why does everyone there have to be such a d!ck is my question. Big egos and over complicated instruction have no place in a training environment this isn't TWA in its prime. Your flying a plane back and forth to basically the same place everyday it's not that complex so don't make it so.

pilotscott 07-20-2017 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by PrettyFlyGuy (Post 2397170)
Currently flying single pilot freight for a company with nowhere near the finances that Ameriflight has with planes 20 years older that look nicer than anything they have. Our training was also less stressful but just as effective. My instructor was ex Ameriflight with 2000 hours there in the 1900 and he couldn't even describe how crappy the training department is. Why does everyone there have to be such a d!ck is my question. Big egos and over complicated instruction have no place in a training environment this isn't TWA in its prime. Your flying a plane back and forth to basically the same place everyday it's not that complex so don't make it so.

Thank you.... that was the point I was trying to get at. I've done intense training in the past and this place makes you feel like you are flying for a legacy with garbage planes.

frmrbuffdrvr 07-20-2017 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by PrettyFlyGuy (Post 2397170)

Originally Posted by pilotscott (Post 2397242)
Thank you.... that was the point I was trying to get at. I've done intense training in the past and this place makes you feel like you are flying for a legacy with garbage planes.

Question. How large is your fleet and how many pilots do you have?

I realize that right now we only have about 130 line pilots but we have had, and hope to have again in the future, over 200 line pilots. I would argue that the reason our training is so intense is that, with that many pilots, we have to have strict consistency across the fleet. And sometimes the only time someone flies with them is during their six month check. So we need to ensure they are flying the plane the way we want it flown instead of some way they decide themselves is better.

PrettyFlyGuy, if your instructor had 2000 hours IN the 1900 while he was here, I'm guessing he went through our training back around 2010 or so. I believe he would find a different culture if he were to go through today.