Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

FrankAir1 08-27-2017 05:43 AM

All,

Some general questions for you. Looks like I might get a class for an accelerated captain position at AMF. I'm told I'll be a FO on a B99 until I get the min hours (I'm only short the mins by small amount but over on ME time). Location could be anywhere. My research indicates most likely for FO time would be OMA, PDX, PHX, or SLC. Have I got that right? More gouge on locations for FO time?

After I get the min hours for Captain I can bid on any base with B99s. Gouge on those bases if different from ones for FO training? I live near Dallas so am hoping to get that one of course.

Finally am new to 135 ops. Given the potentially very short times you could be based somewhere, where do pilots live when off duty at home base? Also do most locations have housing facilities when laying over not at home base? Just for my planing purposes. All help appreciated!!

FreightDogs 08-29-2017 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Test Echo 45 (Post 2419173)
Gentleman,
Thanks for the detailed replies. I will be retiring from the US Army in 14 months and looking for a new challenge after flying helicopters for the last 19 years. Most of my fellow army aviators are going to the various Rotorcraft Transition Programs offered by several airlines. For me personally, quality of life factors are more important than shiny jets. I have a ranch in central Texas so a job that would not require me to move is high on the list of what I'm looking for. Also, a job that offers a challenge and sense of accomplishment is also high on that list. I have just begun my ASEL add on to my rotorcraft inst/comm. ticket so I hope to finalize a clear path for after retirement in the coming months. Have a great day.

Awesome to hear!
We have two bases in Texas, so a lot of opportunities in your neck of the woods.
Let us know if you have any questions about working for Ameriflight. We'd be happy to answer them!

dera 08-29-2017 10:42 AM

I'm about a month away from ACP minimums. How actively are you hiring ACPs at the moment, and are the published mins (800TT etc) "competitive" for that position?

FreightDogs 08-29-2017 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by FrankAir1 (Post 2420377)
All,

Some general questions for you. Looks like I might get a class for an accelerated captain position at AMF. I'm told I'll be a FO on a B99 until I get the min hours (I'm only short the mins by small amount but over on ME time). Location could be anywhere. My research indicates most likely for FO time would be OMA, PDX, PHX, or SLC. Have I got that right? More gouge on locations for FO time?

After I get the min hours for Captain I can bid on any base with B99s. Gouge on those bases if different from ones for FO training? I live near Dallas so am hoping to get that one of course.

Finally am new to 135 ops. Given the potentially very short times you could be based somewhere, where do pilots live when off duty at home base? Also do most locations have housing facilities when laying over not at home base? Just for my planing purposes. All help appreciated!!

Hi, there!

Awesome to hear!
So for the first part while you are an ACP FO, you won't have a base (for paperwork reasons your base is our headquarters DFW) and will fly wherever we need you in the system. Typically, the Flight department tries to plan it to where you get what you need to become a Captain with us as fast as possible. For example, if you are in need of night time, we'd have you fly some routes in CVG because it gets darker earlier and you'd get those night hours. If you are just needing the TT, we'd have you fly some high timed routes to get your hours asap. etc. etc. etc.
To sum that up, you don't technically have a base and you fly anywhere we need you, BUT we pay for your travel, housing, per diem, and your normal pay.
As for where we will send you to fly: anywhere in our system where there are 99s. There are a lot of 99 hours to be had in SLC, ABQ, PDX, PHX, and DFW.

After your FO time is up and you become a restricted Captain (at 1,000TT), you select a base. That base becomes your home. We stop paying for your travel, housing, and per diem because you will drive from your house to the airport, fly your route, and drive home. (Should we ask you to do any TDYing, your travel, housing, and per diem will be paid for.) From restricted Captain to unrestricted Captain there's not much of a change. You keep your base and are just able to fly at normal weather mins without mentoring.
Bases you'll likely get depend on our openings at the time. Of course, the more 99s we have at a base, the more likely you are to get that base (since there are so many options). We also have a bid every 90 days, so if you don't immediately get the base you want, you can bid the next time there's an opening.

Your last question. We provide housing when you are away from you home base for more than five hours (even if that's sitting at an outstation). When you are an ACP FO and don't have a base, we provide your housing. Any time you are TDY, we provide your housing. If you are sitting at an outstation (for more than five hours) or have to stay overnight somewhere, we provide your housing. Most of our bases have crew apartment; a hotel will be provided if not.

To sum it all up, while you are an FO, you do not have a base; once you become a restricted Captain, you get a base; once you become an unrestricted full blown normal regular Captain, you get to fly at normal weather mins without the mentoring.

My apologies for the length of this comment.
Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions!

FreightDogs 08-29-2017 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by dera (Post 2421591)
I'm about a month away from ACP minimums. How actively are you hiring ACPs at the moment, and are the published mins (800TT etc) "competitive" for that position?

Hi, there!

We are not limitless on the ACP positions, but we are hiring quite a few. For our September training class, we are able to hire five. For our October training class, we will be hiring four.
Yes, those mins are pretty spot on to what we are hiring at.
However, the more TT, more steam gauge time, and more IFR time, the better.

Hope that helps! Let us know if you have any other questions!

FrankAir1 08-29-2017 04:51 PM

FreightDogs,

That is great information! Much appreciated. Now I have a really good idea of what to expect. Hopefully I will get to meet you at some point soon.

Again, thanks!!

Frank

dera 08-29-2017 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by FreightDogs (Post 2421701)
Hi, there!

We are not limitless on the ACP positions, but we are hiring quite a few. For our September training class, we are able to hire five. For our October training class, we will be hiring four.

Thanks for the reply! I hope you guys would have a class in January. I'm currently flying Part 135 VFR, and my contract ends mid-November so I would be applying around that time.

pilotlyfe 08-29-2017 08:16 PM

FreightDogs,

Thank you for taking the time to help people with their questions. I am just wondering, how difficult is it for a person to get hired as a BE1900 captain with 135 IFR PIC mins, previous Alaska BE1900 SIC experience and little PIC time? Are the chances pretty low? I am also wondering, what's a day in the life of a pilot? Do you help load and unload?

Again, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

pilotlyfe

frmrbuffdrvr 08-30-2017 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by pilotlyfe (Post 2421966)
FreightDogs,

Thank you for taking the time to help people with their questions. I am just wondering, how difficult is it for a person to get hired as a BE1900 captain with 135 IFR PIC mins, previous Alaska BE1900 SIC experience and little PIC time? Are the chances pretty low? I am also wondering, what's a day in the life of a pilot? Do you help load and unload?

Again, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

pilotlyfe

When you say you have 135 IFR mins, are you meaning right at (or very near) 1200 TT? If that is the case, you won't get hired directly into the BE1900, even with the SIC time. Usually for a direct hire we are looking for closer to 1800-2000 hours total time. Right at 135 mins you would be looking at starting in a BE99. You would have the opportunity to bid into the 1900 after you get to around 1600 hours. (It is lower for a transition than a direct hire because you would already know our systems and we would have a better idea about your skills and work ethic.)

Westfalia 08-30-2017 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by FreightDogs (Post 2421701)
Hi, there!

FreightDogs, thank you for all your help in this thread. I have submitted an application after learning from you about the current hiring.

This may have been answered already in the previous 300 pages, but is there anything in particular(regs/procedures) I should be reviewing before starting the interview process?

Definitely appreciate any and all guidance here.