Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

frmrbuffdrvr 08-30-2017 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Westfalia (Post 2422309)
FreightDogs, thank you for all your help in this thread. I have submitted an application after learning from you about the current hiring.

This may have been answered already in the previous 300 pages, but is there anything in particular(regs/procedures) I should be reviewing before starting the interview process?

Definitely appreciate any and all guidance here.

Be sure you are instrument current, preferable with analog gauges. Do a review of FAR 135, though most of the applicable portions will also be covered in class. Other than that, just review basic aviation stuff such as weather, aerodynamics, etc.

We will cover company procedures in class and there really isn't any way to prep for those until you get here and get your GOM and other manuals.

Westfalia 08-30-2017 04:18 PM

Excellent, will do. Thank you.

FreightDogs 08-31-2017 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by FrankAir1 (Post 2421854)
FreightDogs,

That is great information! Much appreciated. Now I have a really good idea of what to expect. Hopefully I will get to meet you at some point soon.

Again, thanks!!

Frank

Would be happy to meet you!
Looking forward to it.

FreightDogs 08-31-2017 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by dera (Post 2421942)
Thanks for the reply! I hope you guys would have a class in January. I'm currently flying Part 135 VFR, and my contract ends mid-November so I would be applying around that time.

We'll be having a January class! Hoping to have you in it.
In the mean time, let us know if you have any questions about joining!

dera 08-31-2017 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by FreightDogs (Post 2422826)
We'll be having a January class! Hoping to have you in it.
In the mean time, let us know if you have any questions about joining!

That would be perfect! When would be the best time to apply for that? I'm at just over 700hrs now and flying Part 135 VFR every day, so I'm about a month away from the mins. Do you take applications with "projected" hours?

FreightDogs 08-31-2017 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by pilotlyfe (Post 2421966)
FreightDogs,

Thank you for taking the time to help people with their questions. I am just wondering, how difficult is it for a person to get hired as a BE1900 captain with 135 IFR PIC mins, previous Alaska BE1900 SIC experience and little PIC time? Are the chances pretty low? I am also wondering, what's a day in the life of a pilot? Do you help load and unload?

Again, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

pilotlyfe

Hi, pilotlyfe!

Here are the times we look at for competitive 1900 Captains:
  • 1,800 TT, 250 ME, 500 XC (defined as point to point), 100 night, 1,000 PIC, 100 instrument, 100 Turbine, 121 or 135 experience
If you are right at 135 mins, you'd be looking at a PA-31 or BE99.
Transition from there is relatively easy as you quickly gain the types of hours needed for the 1900.

A day in the life: Typically, the schedule is Monday through Friday, morning to evening. You'll leave out early morning, fly your legs, sit a bit in the middle of the day, and fly your legs home. Sleep at home each night.

Our pilots average 60 hours per month. The number of hours you fly per month is based on location and aircraft.

Loading and unloading. Great question. If you are flying a FedEx route, you will not need to do any loading or unloading. They will not let you. As for UPS and DHL, you likely will. You won't have to do the whole thing as there will be a driver there to do it. But assistance might be needed. We are working hard with our customers to make it to where our pilots do not have to load or unload at all. Nothing set in stone yet, but our ultimate goal is that you will not have to help.

Hope that helps!

Javichu 08-31-2017 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by dera (Post 2422829)
That would be perfect! When would be the best time to apply for that? I'm at just over 700hrs now and flying Part 135 VFR every day, so I'm about a month away from the mins. Do you take applications with "projected" hours?

Do you need a classmate?🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FreightDogs 08-31-2017 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Westfalia (Post 2422309)
FreightDogs, thank you for all your help in this thread. I have submitted an application after learning from you about the current hiring.

This may have been answered already in the previous 300 pages, but is there anything in particular(regs/procedures) I should be reviewing before starting the interview process?

Definitely appreciate any and all guidance here.

Hi, Westfalia!

I'm happy to hear you've applied and that I've been of help!
Nothing in particular. The first part of the interview is all about you and your experiences (your times, what you've been doing, your currency, etc). The second part is a video interview where you answer six questions (including one where you brief an approach plate). This second part is more related to flying and what you would do in certain situations.

We mainly want to know that you know how to fly, that you are safe, and where you are at time wise. We have training to teach you aircraft specific stuff and how Ameriflight flies!

If you do get hired, you'll receive study material ahead of time to be prepared for training.

Hope that helps!

(Just responded to a private message from you, as well.)

FreightDogs 08-31-2017 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by dera (Post 2422829)

At over 700 TT, you can apply now!
We don't really take projected hour applications, but there should be a spot in the application to make notes and that's where you can put your projections and more importantly that you are flying a certain number of hours per month consistently.

Since you are over 700, we'll probably be able to at least start a conversation with you. At the very least, we'll get you in our system where we can view you at anytime as a viable candidate (and you can make updates to your times/application from there, too). We are planning on putting four more ACPs in the October class, so maybe you can make it for that!

dera 08-31-2017 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Javichu (Post 2422857)
Do you need a classmate?🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sure, you game for a January class? :D
(assuming we get the job of course...)