Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

own nav 11-13-2017 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Javichu (Post 2465198)
Nope? Anybody? :-)

What about junior bases for the beech 99?. After the "floater" period and once you become a restricted captain, are there any bases easier/more difficult to get?

What b99 get to fly more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BUF and OMA tend to be junior, not sure what is senior anymore for the BE99.

In reference to your question about the purple tailed caravans... For me personally, I considered it a few years ago, when their pay was significantly better than AMF, but I never could give up the security of my second engine.

When you say multiengine time "doesn't matter anymore," are you saying that based upon major airlines not listing it on their minimums? Seems to me, they left that open for F16 pilots.

No disrespect to my friends flying caravans, but I have never seen any of them move on to anything better than a regional or corporate job directly, and thus many of them stay flying the caravan for a career because they don't want to take the pay cut.

If you go the AMF route, you have career path programs to Allegiant, Frontier, Omni, and now UPS. Plan on at least 3 years.

If your plan is to go to a regional airline once you are ATP eligible, I think you are right, it really doesn't matter how you get there. Regionals aren't to picky lately.

frmrbuffdrvr 11-13-2017 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by own nav (Post 2465227)
If your plan is to go to a regional airline once you are ATP eligible, I think you are right, it really doesn't matter how you get there. Regionals aren't to picky lately.

Keep in mind if you go the ACP route with AMF, the right seat time in the BE99 can't be counted toward your ATP. It's good for getting your 1200 for 135 IFR mins but you can only use PIC time in the 99 toward your 1500 for ATP. If you wind up in an E120, then all of your time (SIC included) will count toward the 1500 because the FO is a required position in the E120.

Javichu 11-13-2017 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by own nav (Post 2465227)
BUF and OMA tend to be junior, not sure what is senior anymore for the BE99.

In reference to your question about the purple tailed caravans... For me personally, I considered it a few years ago, when their pay was significantly better than AMF, but I never could give up the security of my second engine.

When you say multiengine time "doesn't matter anymore," are you saying that based upon major airlines not listing it on their minimums? Seems to me, they left that open for F16 pilots.

No disrespect to my friends flying caravans, but I have never seen any of them move on to anything better than a regional or corporate job directly, and thus many of them stay flying the caravan for a career because they don't want to take the pay cut.

If you go the AMF route, you have career path programs to Allegiant, Frontier, Omni, and now UPS. Plan on at least 3 years.

Omaha doesn’t sound too appealing haha but better than PR for sure, I’d take it.

Yeah that’s what I meant by ME being not that important nowadays. Of course it’ll always look better in a resume, no doubt.

I’m not planning on running from any employer at 1501h, if it’s a nice decent job with solid flows. Problem is I don’t trust flows that much (from any airline). But if UPS flow becomes real and solid.....that would be a dream, and worth it. Cargo is the dream here.

Javichu 11-13-2017 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr (Post 2465239)
Keep in mind if you go the ACP route with AMF, the right seat time in the BE99 can't be counted toward your ATP. It's good for getting your 1200 for 135 IFR mins but you can only use PIC time in the 99 toward your 1500 for ATP. If you wind up in an E120, then all of your time (SIC included) will count toward the 1500 because the FO is a required position in the E120.

I know I know, no complaints there. They give you an opportunity having lower time, so I’d be grateful even if I can’t log it for ATP purposes.

And I’m still on that E120 candidate pool, which would be ideal for me, but No luck yet. I keep requesting updates but they tell me the same, no spots available for me.

On the other hand they show interest for the ACP program. So that’s why I keep asking about those B99 :)

PT6 Flyer 11-13-2017 11:43 AM

Hey Javichu,

Are you considering going from AMF directly to the majors, or is your plan to go from AMF to a regional and then to a major? A lot has been written on how well the AMF-step in this scenario works out. The number of AMF pilots who have gone directly to the majors is quite small. Yes, a move from AMF (or a Caravan) to a regional would be a cut in pay, but this seems to be the best and most common way to get to the majors.

Javichu 11-13-2017 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by PT6 Flyer (Post 2465408)
Hey Javichu,

Are you considering going from AMF directly to the majors, or is your plan to go from AMF to a regional and then to a major? A lot has been written on how well the AMF-step in this scenario works out. The number of AMF pilots who have gone directly to the majors is quite small. Yes, a move from AMF (or a Caravan) to a regional would be a cut in pay, but this seems to be the best and most common way to get to the majors.

I know a regional is a must nowadays, and pay cuts happen often in order to improve long term your quality of life so I'm counting on it.

I'd still go to a regional eventually I guess.

It sucks that 135/121 is not valued the same honestly. I'd rather fly night cargo than a crj with passengers but....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cefiro 11-13-2017 05:58 PM

If your goal is UPS, they still strongly prefer 1000 multiengine TPIC. AMF aircraft would obviously count toward this whereas a caravan wouldn't. Just food for thought.

dera 11-13-2017 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cefiro (Post 2465600)
If your goal is UPS, they still strongly prefer 1000 multiengine TPIC. AMF aircraft would obviously count toward this whereas a caravan wouldn't. Just food for thought.

They might say TPIC, but they really mean Turbojet PIC.

PT6 Flyer 11-14-2017 05:20 AM

I agree that what the majors want to see is right-seat time in a (regional) jet.

Hey Javichu,

Watch this YouTube video:

“Inside Singapore Airlines”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKuGqKYk3pQ&t=1333s

Go to 29:06 and watch a young lad take his six-month checkride in a 777. Use this for motivation for when you are feeling frustrated. If he can do it then so can you!

Javichu 11-14-2017 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by PT6 Flyer (Post 2465756)
I agree that what the majors want to see is right-seat time in a (regional) jet.

Hey Javichu,

Watch this YouTube video:

“Inside Singapore Airlines”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKuGqKYk3pQ&t=1333s

Go to 29:06 and watch a young lad take his six-month checkride in a 777. Use this for motivation for when you are feeling frustrated. If he can do it then so can you!

Haha my frustration is just with PR :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro