Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

TyWebb 01-14-2018 02:58 PM

What's the status on the avionics in their planes? Rumor has it steam guages with no GPS?? I don't mind steam guages but the no GPS would be a concern when expected to fly in questionable weather.

PetRock 01-14-2018 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by KEUGflyer (Post 2502583)
Does anyone know if the 500 PIC time for the EMB120 is the absolute min, or are they able to waive it? Sitting at 600tt and almost 320 turbine with all the other requirements met.

500PIC is non-negotiable from my experience.

1wife2airlines 01-14-2018 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by TyWebb (Post 2502793)
What's the status on the avionics in their planes? Rumor has it steam guages with no GPS?? I don't mind steam guages but the no GPS would be a concern when expected to fly in questionable weather.

Your education, spelling wise and aviation wise, seems to be lacking. Did you know most steam gauge equipped aircraft were flown for many many years with just VOR, ILS, ADF and usually DME without any GPS help. A bearing or two, a DME and a bearing and AIRMANSHIP enabled us to plan a descent and a low drag approach to anywhere in the world without being to high and fast or low and slow as long as your brain was involved and you were piloting not driving. There were, of course, guys back in that day who did not engage their brain and were lucky that ATC told them to do things that enabled them to land safely by just following ATC instructions in the US. Those guys shied away from international flying where some Airmanship was required.

FmrPropCapt 01-15-2018 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by TyWebb (Post 2502793)

Damn dude Piedmont or any other older tp operator would have eaten your lunch. Learn how to fly steam. You WILL be a better pilot for it...ALSO i'd rather have a radar then a GPS in poor wx.

TyWebb 01-15-2018 07:23 AM

Wow, don't know where guages came from in my post.. gauges for crying out loud. But thank you both above for your premature judgment. I've flown steam gAUges twice as much as a glass cockpit, so please take your lecture somewhere else. In fact, until recently I've never flown GPS at all. So go on about using ILS/DME, VOR's some more.. hell I want to hear more about NDB approaches and holding while you're at it.

I asked the question I did because Ameriflight, and many of the smaller part 135 cargo, have been known to pressure their pilots into some shady weather (All hearsay). If so, I would want every system I have available to me and the reason I asked if the company has GPS in their aircraft. Single pilot IFR in bad weather, I'll take the additional LPV approaches that would be available, instead of being one dimensional by relying on the ILS or a VOR/DME to get you to lower minimums.

TyWebb 01-15-2018 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by 1wife2airlines (Post 2502973)
Your education, spelling wise and aviation wise, seems to be lacking. Did you know most steam gauge equipped aircraft were flown for many many years with just VOR, ILS, ADF and usually DME without any GPS help. A bearing or two, a DME and a bearing and AIRMANSHIP enabled us to plan a descent and a low drag approach to anywhere in the world without being to high and fast or low and slow as long as your brain was involved and you were piloting not driving. There were, of course, guys back in that day who did not engage their brain and were lucky that ATC told them to do things that enabled them to land safely by just following ATC instructions in the US. Those guys shied away from international flying where some Airmanship was required.

I'd imagine your one of those guys in the aviation world that everyone loves to fly with. :rolleyes:

1wife2airlines 01-15-2018 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by TyWebb (Post 2503194)
I'd imagine your one of those guys in the aviation world that everyone loves to fly with. :rolleyes:

Yes, at least that is what all those guys said when they signed my retirement picture.

TyWebb 01-15-2018 08:04 AM

But now you're here looking for threads where lower timed guys frequent so you can enlighten them with your knowledge, talk down to people you assume are less experienced, and ultimately stroke your own ego for a while.

frmrbuffdrvr 01-15-2018 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by TyWebb (Post 2503191)
Wow, don't know where guages came from in my post.. gauges for crying out loud. But thank you both above for your premature judgment. I've flown steam gAUges twice as much as a glass cockpit, so please take your lecture somewhere else. In fact, until recently I've never flown GPS at all. So go on about using ILS/DME, VOR's some more.. hell I want to hear more about NDB approaches and holding while you're at it.

I asked the question I did because Ameriflight, and many of the smaller part 135 cargo, have been known to pressure their pilots into some shady weather (All hearsay). If so, I would want every system I have available to me and the reason I asked if the company has GPS in their aircraft. Single pilot IFR in bad weather, I'll take the additional LPV approaches that would be available, instead of being one dimensional by relying on the ILS or a VOR/DME to get you to lower minimums.

A large number of our aircraft have GPS installed. All of our E120s, most of our BE99s, a good number of our 1900 and some of our metros are equipped with GPS. And we are continuing to update our aircraft as the schedule allows.

As for "pressuring pilots" into tough weather situations, I will admit that has happened in the past. Currently though, if any pilot feels he is being pressured, they can contact the "Chief Pilot on Call" to resolve the situation.

Javichu 01-15-2018 12:42 PM

Ameriflight

Hello guys, I'd like to know your opinion on this one.
Coming from a VFR part 135 operation, what would make more sense....being an emb120 FO or a b99 captain?.

I'm asking because I only have 100h of IFR, and at 900h TT I'm not sure what's better honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro