Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

FreightDogs 03-02-2018 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by KaiGywer (Post 2540684)
Are these positions commutable?

The VFR position is not. You would have to live within an hour from ABQ.
The ACP positions are. You don't get a base until you become a Captain at 1,000TT. And then you would get a base or become Home-Based.

FreightDogs 03-02-2018 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by pilotue (Post 2540813)
I have a couple of questions about Ameriflight. I know some of this might have been answered before in this thread, but I was unable to find it due to the size of the thread.

(1) It is my understanding that during Accelerated Captain Program, you can not choose a base? How long does it normally take to get the required 200h and does one get to choose a preferred based upon being promoted to captain?
(2) If you apply for the ACP at 950h, will you be promoted to captain at 1000h or 1150?
(3) Is Ameriflight commutable?
(4) What is a typical schedule/routes for pilots based at DFW?
(5) Is there a specific contract length? In other words, is Ameriflight a good option to build hours toward ATP or is it preferable for pilot who want freight careers?

1. Correct, you do not choose a base until you become a restricted Captain at 1,000TT. They'll put you on the highest timed routes throughout our system in hopes that you are able to gain those hours quickly. Typically, it takes 4-6 months. When you become a restricted Captain, you'll be able to choose which base you'd like; leading up to it you'll hear about openings.
  2. If you come to Ameriflight as an ACP at 950TT, you'll upgrade to a restricted Captain at 1,000TT. (The FAA waiver requires the pilot to have 1,000TT and 50 hours with us as an FO.)
  3. If you are assigned to a base, you will need to live within an hour from the base. We also have a Home-Based Captain option. The schedule is a little different, but you can live wherever and we'll fly you throughout our system where needed.
  4. Typical schedule for DFW pilots is Monday-Friday. Some have Saturdays. A few of the schedules at DFW are Monday evening to Saturday morning.
  5. The only position we have a contract for is the ACP position. Ameriflight is a great option to build hours toward your ATP - the only hours that do not count toward that ATP are your hours as an ACP FO (so if you come in at 950, those first 50 hours of being an FO will not count), because we are not required to have that position. After that, they all count! We have a Gateway Program with UPS (freight), but three programs with non-freight - Allegiant, Omni, Frontier.
Hopefully all that made sense!

MiracleMets 03-02-2018 07:39 AM

Recruiting said they would run my times by "Flight." I am assuming that means the flight department or something. Anyways, I never heard back. Upgrading at my regional in 6 months sounds better anyways. Good luck out there, Ameriflight.

aiqs 03-02-2018 09:35 AM

Thank you for your Response. yesterday i wrote to kacie again with no aswere yet. as well worte to the previews email on witch let an attach resume.

As well considering ABQ if some one on that base help me out with the living arrangement.

I apreciate any help that you can be provide.

Iregretnothing 03-02-2018 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by MiracleMets (Post 2541160)
Recruiting said they would run my times by "Flight." I am assuming that means the flight department or something. Anyways, I never heard back. Upgrading at my regional in 6 months sounds better anyways. Good luck out there, Ameriflight.

Who did you speak to? I am still waiting too but it has only been a week. PM if you want.

FreightDogs 03-02-2018 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Iregretnothing (Post 2541253)
Who did you speak to? I am still waiting too but it has only been a week. PM if you want.

If either of you would like me to check into it, feel free to send me a PM with your name and who you spoke with. Any other details you can provide would be helpful. :)

Selfmade92 03-02-2018 09:12 PM

I posted before about the F/O position needing 25h Multi.

But now since I'm at the PA-31 mins (VFR), besides the multi time, is that a hard requirement or would that be waivable?

Kansaspilot92 03-03-2018 08:38 AM

So I do have a quick question for you about a couple of the positions. I have about 520 hours now and am about to get my MEI, and by December of this year will be looking at the next step. Ameriflight makes a ton of sense for the next 5 years at least, maybe even longer. I live a couple hours away from omaha right now, but will be moving close to DFW in the next couple of years most likely. If I were to apply for a BE99 captain position in a year or so in Omaha, whats the likelihood of my ability to just travel to the position and stay on base for the time that I'll be required to be there? So not home basing, but not domiciled closer than 3 hours.

For a Beech 1900 captain position, if I came in with the required hours no problem except for the turbine time, would I still be considered? Or do I need to plan on getting that turbine time? The plan is to get to the Metro as soon as I can and settle in for awhile, maybe look at some of the flow agreements, but honestly I don't feel like moving on for awhile once I get there.

For religious reasons I don't work on sundays, and Ameriflight fits perfectly with that. If homebasing can also fit with that where I stay where I am and don't have to travel on sundays, I would be up for that too.

Thanks!

ZippyNH 03-04-2018 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Kansaspilot92 (Post 2541996)
So I do have a quick question for you about a couple of the positions. I have about 520 hours now and am about to get my MEI, and by December of this year will be looking at the next step. Ameriflight makes a ton of sense for the next 5 years at least, maybe even longer. I live a couple hours away from omaha right now, but will be moving close to DFW in the next couple of years most likely. If I were to apply for a BE99 captain position in a year or so in Omaha, whats the likelihood of my ability to just travel to the position and stay on base for the time that I'll be required to be there? So not home basing, but not domiciled closer than 3 hours.

For a Beech 1900 captain position, if I came in with the required hours no problem except for the turbine time, would I still be considered? Or do I need to plan on getting that turbine time? The plan is to get to the Metro as soon as I can and settle in for awhile, maybe look at some of the flow agreements, but honestly I don't feel like moving on for awhile once I get there.

For religious reasons I don't work on sundays, and Ameriflight fits perfectly with that. If homebasing can also fit with that where I stay where I am and don't have to travel on sundays, I would be up for that too.

Thanks!

The unofficial info is as a home based captain you usually travel to your assignment on Sunday, work two weeks, the travel home on a Saturday, unless the trips you are covering also fly Saturday AM, then you might travel on Sunday.
Perhaps you might be able to ask for relief, maybe traveling early to your assignment, and paying for you hotel room, and not getting perdiem on that extra day, that way you are not being treated favorably or different.
Unfortunately air cargo flies 7 days a week, and to say you might never be REQUIRED to fly on ANY given day of the week might be impossible... Sometimes check rides, or ferry flights need to happen....
Having once dispatched for a company that had an Mennonite pilot that flew a regular scheduled run, sometimes it might work, but I am also suggesting that as Home based captain, we are kinda like the trouble shooters, we go here needed, and fly whatever routes are needed for 14 days, then get to go home for one or two weeks...we don't pick or choose, the company owns out time when on the road. Yes, it might be called a deal with the devil, but in exchange, we get lots of time at home, that is 100% ours to use.
With non home based positions, if you work a 14-16 duty day, would you be able to commute 3 hours BOTH ways and be safe and rested? Yes, I have known folks who have "camped out" at a location while looking for housing to save $$$, but fatigue is very dangerous.
Most folks would say NO...commuting more than an hour or 90 minutes is hard...suggesting anything else makes one question a persons judgement....,similarly, trying to sleep at an FBO at a destination might work a couple times, but it is certainty not a long time solution. You might find a roommate, or other "CRASH PAD" situation that might work.
I might suggest you take a long hard look at your goals, and what you are willing to do to accomplish them, since you are unlikely to find many others who will go through many hoops to help you so early in your career.
Not saying you can't accomplish what you want, but sometimes you must find a middle ground.
Good luck.

FreightDogs 03-05-2018 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Selfmade92 (Post 2541738)
I posted before about the F/O position needing 25h Multi.

But now since I'm at the PA-31 mins (VFR), besides the multi time, is that a hard requirement or would that be waivable?

Hi, there!

Yes, that's a hard requirement.