Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

own nav 04-20-2018 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by FlightLife (Post 2576312)
Since we're on the topic of bases, SLC looks like a good one looking in from the outside. It appears to have a diverse route structure and fleet based on the route map and job openings. From what I can see, a pilot can start in a 99 and progress all the way to the 120 if he/she so desired. Can anyone elaborate on this base? I'm specifically interested in a BE99 position/routes/schedule.

Thanks.

Yes, the BE99 is entry level in SLC, then with more hours you can progress to the SA227 or BE1900, and then on to the E120. They had openings for all 4 fleet types in SLC on the last bid.

The BE99 routes are about 2 to 5 hours a day depending on the run. I did more than the aforementioned advertised annual average last year.

Show times are 530 for UPS, 615 for Fed Ex, and either 500 (monday) or 700 for DHL (a half hour earlier if you have to pick up your plane from the MX hangar). All of the routes except for the SGU 1900 and RXE BE99 have a layover. On the PM side you will pick up a load and arrive back in SLC around 1800 to 1930 depending on the run. The Fed Ex E120 is the only AMF route that currently operates on Saturdays out of SLC.

The base has had a rough couple years with the pilot shortage and management turnover being significant issues. The new base manager has been with AMF almost a year, and I think pretty much everyone would agree, he's very easy going and well liked.

FlightLife 04-20-2018 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by own nav (Post 2576467)
Yes, the BE99 is entry level in SLC, then with more hours you can progress to the SA227 or BE1900, and then on to the E120. They had openings for all 4 fleet types in SLC on the last bid.

The BE99 routes are about 2 to 5 hours a day depending on the run. I did more than the aforementioned advertised annual average last year.

Show times are 530 for UPS, 615 for Fed Ex, and either 500 (monday) or 700 for DHL (a half hour earlier if you have to pick up your plane from the MX hangar). All of the routes except for the SGU 1900 and RXE BE99 have a layover. On the PM side you will pick up a load and arrive back in SLC around 1800 to 1930 depending on the run. The Fed Ex E120 is the only AMF route that currently operates on Saturdays out of SLC.

The base has had a rough couple years with the pilot shortage and management turnover being significant issues. The new base manager has been with AMF almost a year, and I think pretty much everyone would agree, he's very easy going and well liked.

OwnNav, thanks for the information. I'm aiming for the July class and SLC is on my radar for a base. I've noticed job openings for SLC often on the website and was wondering if the turnover rate for SLC was either a management issue or rough schedules. Nonetheless, its a base where I can still be in the Northwest.

own nav 04-20-2018 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by FlightLife (Post 2576559)
OwnNav, thanks for the information. I'm aiming for the July class and SLC is on my radar for a base. I've noticed job openings for SLC often on the website and was wondering if the turnover rate for SLC was either a management issue or rough schedules. Nonetheless, its a base where I can still be in the Northwest.

I'm not convinced that the rate at which pilots leave the base is much different than years past. Schedules are harder with fewer pilots, but then again, most are here to build time and will move on when they have the opportunity.

Higher wages and bonuses have kept a few people around longer than they normally would have, but still, very few will make a career out of this job.

Looking at the other side of things, look how many programs have started in the last few years to entice new recruits. The ACP program, home basing, gateway programs, Epic academy's zero debt flight training... the shortage, to me, seems heavily toward the incoming side.

FlightLife 04-20-2018 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by own nav (Post 2576652)
I'm not convinced that the rate at which pilots leave the base is much different than years past. Schedules are harder with fewer pilots, but then again, most are here to build time and will move on when they have the opportunity.

Higher wages and bonuses have kept a few people around longer than they normally would have, but still, very few will make a career out of this job.

Looking at the other side of things, look how many programs have started in the last few years to entice new recruits. The ACP program, home basing, gateway programs, Epic academy's zero debt flight training... the shortage, to me, seems heavily toward the incoming side.

I can definitely see it being an issue on both sides. Pilots will stick around for better schedules, better schedules happen with more pilots, but the pilots keep leaving for better schedules...and on and on. It's gotta be difficult bringing in new hires with the regionals upping their offers. I'd rather fly freight. I'm drawn toward the older turboprop planes for some reason.

BravoPapa 04-20-2018 06:57 PM

FreightDogs, sent you another PM.

acam 04-21-2018 04:27 PM

Do you mind providing a detailed sample scheduled for DFW? Is it basically one daily round trip or multiple? Also, how long does a flight from DFW to Pampa or Vernon take in a BE99?

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr (Post 2576017)
I don't have the PHX schedule but I can tell you about DFW. There are two BE99 runs out of DFW. They both operate from Monday evening through Friday morning. Tu-Th they operate out to their outstations and layover at a hotel. The run to Pampa TX logs about 16-18 hours per week and the run to Vernon TX logs roughly 10-12 hours per week.

frmrbuffdrvr 04-23-2018 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by acam (Post 2577423)
Do you mind providing a detailed sample scheduled for DFW? Is it basically one daily round trip or multiple? Also, how long does a flight from DFW to Pampa or Vernon take in a BE99?

We don't like to get too detailed because things can change. Both runs are one round trip, with a couple of legs each way. During the day on Tu-Th the pilot stays at a hotel to get rest. Monday and Friday are straight round trips with no layover.

Bellair 04-25-2018 03:55 PM

Accepted a job offer today for the June 4th class for the99 out of SLC. I’m excited to start.

I know the 99 has a ton of routes out of slc, I was wondering what lines are JR and what lines are SR?

Thank you in advance 👍🏻

SoFloFlyer 04-25-2018 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Bellair (Post 2580218)
Accepted a job offer today for the June 4th class for the99 out of SLC. I’m excited to start.

I know the 99 has a ton of routes out of slc, I was wondering what lines are JR and what lines are SR?

Thank you in advance 👍🏻

Is the 99 turbine? Must be a really fun plane to fly!

frmrbuffdrvr 04-26-2018 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by SoFloFlyer (Post 2580360)
Is the 99 turbine? Must be a really fun plane to fly!

It is a turbine. It has PT6 engines.