Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

FlightLife 05-06-2018 07:33 AM

Random question

I thought I've seen a post about this in the past but can't seem to find it now. Does time flown in the BE99 count as "King Air time". From what I read online, it has features from both the Queen Air and King Air aircraft. It is also strikingly similar to the King Air 200, but it just doesn't have King Air in the name. And since we're on the topic, what about the BE1900?

LRSRanger 05-06-2018 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by FlightLife (Post 2587376)
I thought I've seen a post about this in the past but can't seem to find it now. Does time flown in the BE99 count as "King Air time". From what I read online, it has features from both the Queen Air and King Air aircraft. It is also strikingly similar to the King Air 200, but it just doesn't have King Air in the name. And since we're on the topic, what about the BE1900?

I had no problem going from a BE99 to both the C90 and BE20. I also went from 34K/yr to about 120K, by flying daily contract work. Better upgrade than the metro they kept talking about but never happened.

own nav 05-07-2018 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by FlightLife (Post 2587376)

When in doubt, ask the chief pilot where you are applying. I applied for one job where they had one column for the specific type of King air they flew, and they allowed me to count BE99 time in total King air time. The 1900 would definitely hold more weight in the same column where it is pressurized among other things. Fun airplanes. Beech builds user friendly, reliable products.

LRSRanger 05-07-2018 08:39 PM

Additionally ARGUS counted my BE99 time toward BE20 time. FWIW.

Originally Posted by own nav (Post 2588744)
When in doubt, ask the chief pilot where you are applying. I applied for one job where they had one column for the specific type of King air they flew, and they allowed me to count BE99 time in total King air time. The 1900 would definitely hold more weight in the same column where it is pressurized among other things. Fun airplanes. Beech builds user friendly, reliable products.

endlessnight 05-10-2018 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr (Post 2584414)
I never said it couldn't be done. And we have many more options than SWA these days.

I was told Ameriflight didn't like pilots to drive more that 1:20-1:30 to commute. (daily) True?

frmrbuffdrvr 05-13-2018 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by endlessnight (Post 2591337)
I was told Ameriflight didn't like pilots to drive more that 1:20-1:30 to commute. (daily) True?

Considering that most UPS runs have a 5-6 AM show time and return to the hub around 7-9 PM, an hour and a half drive each way between return and show only leaves you 3-5 hours at home. Let alone time to sleep. So it's not that we just don't want you to. It's flat out dangerous if you have to go more than that between daily runs. This isn't a job where you come in at 8 AM and leave at 5 PM.

jonnyjetprop 05-13-2018 08:35 AM

Keep in mind that AMF has lost pilots and planes to fatigue years ago. I’m sure they are more sensitive to fatigue in single pilot operations.

ZippyNH 05-13-2018 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr (Post 2592911)
Considering that most UPS runs have a 5-6 AM show time and return to the hub around 7-9 PM, an hour and a half drive each way between return and show only leaves you 3-5 hours at home. Let alone time to sleep. So it's not that we just don't want you to. It's flat out dangerous if you have to go more than that between daily runs. This isn't a job where you come in at 8 AM and leave at 5 PM.

+1
It's also a huge quality of life issue, and the better quality of life a person has, the safe and longer lived an employee will be, both emotionally and physically.
Many people shy away from out based runs, but to a person willing to move, they can be a GREAT way to save up some $$$ or pay off a student loan, etc.
I just got back from flying a out based run for two weeks in a smaller college town in the Pacfic NW...being in the "city" at night, small town day and weekend.
Saw rentals advertised for $400 an month for a one bedroom apartment or $700 for a two bedroom house with a carport is pretty cheap living...
Many pilots loved out based runs for years cause making big city $$$ while living in a smaller rural community can be a great idea deal for a year or two before it's gets old...
Frankly if a person likes to hunt, fish, hike, bike or ski, living year round in a location where people go to on vacation can be GREAT....heck some freight-dogs turn into lifetime freight-dogs due to THIS...have know more than a few.

BravoPapa 05-13-2018 07:14 PM

If one is hired as a 500 hours copilot, do you need to have an IPC or be instrument proficient when hired? I noticed this at the site:

Week two is an instrument proficiency course called MEICC.

So does that take care of proficiency plus the fact you're going into the right seat and will be training then also?

Also, what is starting pay for the 500 hour copilot on the EMB 120?

FreightDogs 05-14-2018 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by BravoPapa (Post 2593361)
If one is hired as a 500 hours copilot, do you need to have an IPC or be instrument proficient when hired? I noticed this at the site:

Week two is an instrument proficiency course called MEICC.

So does that take care of proficiency plus the fact you're going into the right seat and will be training then also?

Also, what is starting pay for the 500 hour copilot on the EMB 120?

Yes, you still need a current IPC.
MEICC is just a refresher course to help you get through training if you're a little rusty.

Starting pay for the EMB120 as a First Officer is $31,000.

Hope that helps!