Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

own nav 05-18-2018 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Kansaspilot92 (Post 2596728)
Do positions such as check pilot and instructor get you more pay?

How does working a day off work in terms of pay and bidding?

If you come in as a Be99 captain, do you get ATP before advancing to the 1900 and are there any training contracts with that?

Since its an out and back route, would I be sitting in the hotel room most of the day between flights or does that change per route?

Are all pilots scheduled a 5 day with the ability to work a day more or how does that start off? This would be for a Be99 in DFW as the beginning.

Thanks!

Training captains get "T" pay which is 1.5 times the normal rate on the days they perform training.

Base pay is 40 units a week. You get extra for various things such as extending your duty day for repositioning, or if you are on a M-F schedule and pick up a Saturday in addition to a 40 unit line.

Outstation based runs are Monday night through Saturday morning (5 overnight layovers), and usually get 40 units.

Reserve lines often get you home earlier and still pay 8 units a day. Same with out and back runs. Routes with an all day layover pay 8 units as well.

I'm sure someone else can give you more details on the ATP, but from what I've seen, when you get a type rating (Metro or 1900) it is initially commercial. Then, before your annual recurrent in such, you do your CTP course and your recurrent checkride becomes your ATP checkride.

endlessnight 05-19-2018 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by own nav (Post 2596926)
Training captains get "T" pay which is 1.5 times the normal rate on the days they perform training.

That sounds pretty good. Some operators think their pilots should train as part of the job.

Kansaspilot92 05-19-2018 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by own nav (Post 2596926)

Base pay is 40 units a week. You get extra for various things such as extending your duty day for repositioning, or if you are on a M-F schedule and pick up a Saturday in addition to a 40 unit line.

Outstation based runs are Monday night through Saturday morning (5 overnight layovers), and usually get 40 units.

Reserve lines often get you home earlier and still pay 8 units a day. Same with out and back runs. Routes with an all day layover pay 8 units as well.

I'm sure someone else can give you more details on the ATP, but from what I've seen, when you get a type rating (Metro or 1900) it is initially commercial. Then, before your annual recurrent in such, you do your CTP course and your recurrent checkride becomes your ATP checkride.

Awesome thank you this clears up a lot!

Follow up questions would be- as a new BE99 captain at DFW, do I expect outstation runs(leave DFW evening return morning) out and back runs(out to one airport in the morning and immediate return no layover) or layover days(leave morning return evening)?

Just trying to get a handle on scheduling specifics and what to expect as the new guy and what to bid for. Still not in the professional pilot world as anything more than a CFI, so some of these terms are pretty confusing. Thanks!

endlessnight 05-19-2018 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Kansaspilot92 (Post 2597722)

Follow up questions would be- as a new BE99 captain at DFW, do I expect outstation runs(leave DFW evening return morning) out and back runs(out to one airport in the morning and immediate return no layover) or layover days(leave morning return evening)?

Just trying to get a handle on scheduling specifics and what to expect as the new guy and what to bid for. Still not in the professional pilot world as anything more than a CFI, so some of these terms are pretty confusing. Thanks!

I can tell you this, all weather single pilot freight flying will get you at the top of your game IFR flying wise. Enjoy it!

BravoPapa 05-19-2018 05:03 PM

Ameriflight use autopilots?

ZippyNH 05-19-2018 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Kansaspilot92 (Post 2597722)

Cargo is a bit different than the airlines when it comes to routes and bidding....in cargo you are typically hired for a specific route in many cases...when you get to that point in the interview, you can ask what is open...and can stay on that route till you give it up...it's not like a person can take it from you. In some cases pilots are hired as "system pilots" and don't hold a bid... home based pilots (usually more senior) and pilots building time to meet full 135 requirements VFR captains, etc are also like this....they go where needed.

Bidding is typically important when you upgrade, or want to move, maybe due to "route rut" or you find a run that gets more hours opens up, or maybe a place you prefer to spend your days/nights.

Some pilots prefer living in the base, good for travel and big town lifestyle, but more $$$ to live...others prefer out based runs that you fly into the hub for the night, but spend weekends at your station.
The advantage here is most smaller airports usually HAVE MUCH LOWER costs of living, sometimes you can get a comparable place to stay for less than 50%, but you are in a small town, with more limited travel a entertainment choices...but if you like the outdoors, it can be great, you make big city $$$, and get small town prices, and you can get most of your rest at the base in the company hotel/apartment, and have all day off to do what you want most of the day...you might need a nap..but you have options.
Yes, it's different than the airlines, but the lifestyle/job/bussines has been very good to many...
Some do it as a quick way to build time, others find life good enough and stay.
It's all about finding the right type of job for your personality and lifestyle needs/wants.

FreightDogs 05-21-2018 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by endlessnight (Post 2596575)
What can you tell us about the exam new hires get before indoc?

The exam is during InDoc, not before.
You get an assessment exam on day one to assess your knowledge. If you study the materials given to you before you come to InDoc, you should do fine.
The actual exam that "counts" is on Friday of InDoc (the first week of training). It's similar to that assessment test.

Hope that helps!

29singlespeed 05-21-2018 08:40 AM

eaa osh

I am looking at possibly heading to EAA Oshkosh this summer. I see that Ameriflight will be there recruiting. Is this an opportunity to speak with recruiter and possibly pilots? Just at a booth? Thanks.

FreightDogs 05-21-2018 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by 29singlespeed (Post 2598858)
I am looking at possibly heading to EAA Oshkosh this summer. I see that Ameriflight will be there recruiting. Is this an opportunity to speak with recruiter and possibly pilots? Just at a booth? Thanks.

Yes, we'll be there every day all day! :)
We'll have recruiters and pilots there.
And yes, at booth C36 in the EAA Education/Career Center.

29singlespeed 05-21-2018 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by FreightDogs (Post 2598861)
Yes, we'll be there every day all day! :)
We'll have both recruiters and pilots there.

Excellent. I likely wont be in a suit and tie being summer in WI but hope to make it work out to be there towards the end of the week. Currently flying VFR 135 that ends in Sept.