Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

ZippyNH 05-27-2018 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by SonicFlyer (Post 2603302)
Is there a high training washout rate? :confused:

Frankly they want everyone who arrives for class to pass.
Reality is you must know how to study and fly a plane well, and have good judgement.
Remember, they are training you to fly alone...
You will not have a person sitting next to you to catch your mistakes in most cases...and they don't want you to die.
Sometimes you cannot guess who might pass or fail...seen experienced guys fail, and newbies do fine.
Know how to study and fly a "six pack" and you will do fine. Be weak in your skills, not know how to study, and you might have issues. Training is not a vacation...some treat it as such, and suddenly find they didn't study enough. REMEMBER, when it is described as "drinking from a fire hose" it is a very good anology. Yes, you do need to have a bit if downtime, but Don't expect to go home on the weekends...seen people do it rather than study.
It almost as much about mental preparedness to fly 135 single pilot as it is skill level...things happen fast at times, and you need to know how to deal with it.

PT6 Flyer 05-27-2018 04:09 PM

Zippy,

I would add that, at Ameriflight, you have to have your flows down before you show up for the first day of class. Or have people made it through without this?

ZippyNH 05-27-2018 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by PT6 Flyer (Post 2603603)
Zippy,

I would add that, at Ameriflight, you have to have your flows down before you show up for the first day of class. Or have people made it through without this?

Most people get the materials a week or more before Indoc...so if you have any spare time in Indoc, or now MECC (now right after Indoc) to study concurrently before you are sent to your aircraft specific training.
That having been said, it seemed most were just very familiar with the materials. The more the better, but like any program, you must meet the early requirements before the later.
It is hard, but rewarding work, and study habits you MUST have down before going into any aviation job.
Spoon-feeding, it is not.
But fair IMO it is. Competent pilots will pass, and become better. Weak ones will wash out since they have gotten a few free passes in the past.
Show up for your first day current, stay focused, and be ready to work. Don't be "that" person who flies home for a weekend (or complains about a weekend sim session stopping one from doing so), then fails the basic knowledge test...
Know for a couple months you will not have much free time.
But remember, this is a real job. Expect to work, maybe get your hands dirty, and be flexible. You are getting a shot at doing something you have spent your career waiting for.

frmrbuffdrvr 05-28-2018 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by PT6 Flyer (Post 2603603)
Zippy,

You can make it through without having all your flows memorized by the first day. But if like some guys you don't know them at all and don't have any idea of the limitations before you start, you won't make it. Primarily because you will never be able to catch up from that point.

As said, you won't be spoon fed every thing. You need to plan to put in some effort. Do we want everyone to make it? Yes. But we don't want you if you won't make us a priority.

FlightLife 05-28-2018 11:51 AM

Studying the Flows

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr (Post 2604011)
You can make it through without having all your flows memorized by the first day. But if like some guys you don't know them at all and don't have any idea of the limitations before you start, you won't make it. Primarily because you will never be able to catch up from that point.

As said, you won't be spoon fed every thing. You need to plan to put in some effort. Do we want everyone to make it? Yes. But we don't want you if you won't make us a priority.

This makes me feel better. I've been studying material for a month already and don't start training till July. I'm looking forward to it.

For anyone worried they may not be able to memorize the flows, it's not as bad as you may think (but that doesn't mean relax about it). If you're trying to memorize a list of written items, you'll make it really hard on yourself and it won't help much in the cockpit. Instead, you'll want to use a cockpit poster, or find a really detailed picture online, and actually go through the motions of manipulating each step on the list until its memorized. For anyone familiar with the learning process, this is basically the same as making a mind map, which really accelerates the memorization process. All cockpit flows are a mind map. I was able to memorize the originating, before engine start, engine start, after engine start, taxi, before takeoff, runway items, takeoff, climb, cruise, and descent flows and callouts in a few nights (that may be exaggerating a bit, but it really does go quick once you get the mind map thing going in your head).

I understand this information may be a no-brainer for a lot of folks, but for others, this may be the first company where you have to have memorized flows in place from the start instead of learning flows on the fly with a checklist.

Just my 2 cents.

frmrbuffdrvr 06-07-2018 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by aerobeard (Post 2602949)
Just put the resume in. Just under 700 hours total, 25 ME, about 640 PIC, 190 XC. Going to try to talk to them at an upcoming career fair in San Diego.

What do your night and instrument times look like? Is your XC time point to point or over 50 mile? (All point to point XC counts toward the Part 135 mins of 500 hours.)

HighWingingIt 06-07-2018 11:06 PM

Thinking about applying, I see there’s some BE99 positions available. Is there a contract for flying a non-typed Aircraft? Or is there a “training” contract simply for just training/Indoc and such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FreightDogs 06-08-2018 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by HighWingingIt (Post 2610669)
Thinking about applying, I see there’s some BE99 positions available. Is there a contract for flying a non-typed Aircraft? Or is there a “training” contract simply for just training/Indoc and such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, no training or regular contract!

At this moment, we only have one contract and that is for our ACP First Officer positions.

Hope that helps!

tonsterboy5 06-08-2018 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by FreightDogs (Post 2610726)
Nope, no training or regular contract!

At this moment, we only have one contract and that is for our ACP First Officer positions.

Hope that helps!

How long is this contract?

FreightDogs 06-08-2018 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by tonsterboy5 (Post 2610922)
How long is this contract?

The ACP contract is only for our First Officers in the Accelerated Captain Program.

The contract is based on flight hours flown with us not time. It's based on 1,200 flight hours with every 400 hours being worth $5,000 as our training costs us about $15,000 per pilot.