Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

Continuingappch 07-16-2018 11:47 AM

Questions for home-based Captains

Hey all - looking at an October 1 class date for home-based 1900 Captain.

I know the short answer is always "it depends", but curious how things tend to work:

Do you generally stay at the same base for the 2 weeks, or do you get shuffled over the weekend?

Are you getting the same base(s) a lot?

Is there flexibility or does it throw a wrench in the system -e.g. if I am at a base where I have family, can I ask to take my week off there and save the company $?

Are the hotels generally places you can get laundry done? Curious how light you manage to pack...

Any other comments regarding the duty & lifestyle appreciated...

ZippyNH 07-16-2018 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Continuingappch (Post 2635962)
Hey all - looking at an October 1 class date for home-based 1900 Captain.

I know the short answer is always "it depends", but curious how things tend to work:

Do you generally stay at the same base for the 2 weeks, or do you get shuffled over the weekend?

Are you getting the same base(s) a lot?

Is there flexibility or does it throw a wrench in the system -e.g. if I am at a base where I have family, can I ask to take my week off there and save the company $?

Are the hotels generally places you can get laundry done? Curious how light you manage to pack...

Any other comments regarding the duty & lifestyle appreciated...

Different plane...
But in my experience it "depends"..lol, like you said..
I usually pack enough for a week...then wash on my day off...some do it more often if they can find time. I find that I can fit a weeks outfits into one carry on roller bag, then a bag of flight gear for easy travel without checking a bag.
Some routes are more of a round robin routine...with a different hotel daily, as opposed to the more common out and back schedule, with a hotel at a hub/base and a dayroom/2nd hotel during a layover...most hotels typically have laundry.
Typical they seem to rotate home based people through the system, guessing it's to avoid getting people tired of the same route and getting "route rut"..also the cities/routes that need coverage varry due to turnover, open bids based pilots, vacations and training...

Continuingappch 07-16-2018 10:26 PM

Thanks so much for the feedback. One other question I forgot to ask - about how far in advance do you get the flight res/base assignment?

ZippyNH 07-17-2018 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Continuingappch (Post 2636300)
Thanks so much for the feedback. One other question I forgot to ask - about how far in advance do you get the flight res/base assignment?

Usually Wednesday or Thursday for Saturday or Sunday travel....but occasionally you must travel Thursday for a Friday start depending on the route, but you get the days off you loose on the back end of the trip, so it's not a bad set-up.
Just remember, things are pretty dynamic, and everything is subject to change based on operational needs.

SonicFlyer 07-17-2018 07:43 AM

They aren't hiring EMB120 FO's any more are they? :confused:

Continuingappch 07-17-2018 08:35 AM

Hmm - but you know you're going to be traveling Thursday well beforehand? Trying to understand if the week or two of off time is fixed and allows you to be "off the grid".

FreightDogs 07-19-2018 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by 29singlespeed (Post 2630822)
What is the schedule like for the ACP program? Then once captain, I am guessing one would have to relocate to the base assigned or is there some preferences given? Reason I ask is my situation is not able to move to any base but will have the ACP time come this fall. Looks like a great program. Thanks

The ACP schedule is a bit intense since we are trying to get you up to Captain mins as quickly as possible. You won't have a base and we send you anywhere in our system where you work our typical schedule alongside a Captain.

Once you become a Captain, you'll be able to choose your base from what's available. Then you would work the typical schedule. If you are unable to relocate, Home-Based may be an option. That schedule is different at 14/7/14/14.

FreightDogs 07-19-2018 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by airgoose (Post 2633082)
hello there,

I have few questions too!

1) how can i get in? i got 1000TT with about 800 ME turbine and jet and 140 PIC. does my profile still gets me on ACP?
2) Can a candidate signup for multiple gateway program? how many go your captains got into respected gateways? like Omni, Frontier and Allegiant?

thanks
Future AMF pilot :cool:

Hi, there!

Here are the mins for the ACP FO position: 800 TT, 25 ME, 300 XC (defined as point to point), 100 night, 500 PIC, 75 instrument
It looks like your TT, ME, and Turbine are great. Unfortunately, your PIC is too low.

Our pilot programs are all relatively new. We've had a handful flow over so far. We also have eight pilots in our UPS Gateway Program.

Hope that helps!

FreightDogs 07-19-2018 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by dash3t (Post 2634751)

I'm looking at being available for the October class. When's a good time to submit application if targeting that class?

Thanks,
Dash3t

Hi, there!

We are currently wrapping up hiring for our August class and already have several lined up for our September class.
I would say to submit an application for the October class in the next couple of weeks. Definitely before September 15th!

Hope to have you on our team soon! :)

Rotors2Planks 07-20-2018 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by FreightDogs (Post 2638138)
Hi, there!

Here are the mins for the ACP FO position: 800 TT, 25 ME, 300 XC (defined as point to point), 100 night, 500 PIC, 75 instrument
It looks like your TT, ME, and Turbine are great. Unfortunately, your PIC is too low.

Our pilot programs are all relatively new. We've had a handful flow over so far. We also have eight pilots in our UPS Gateway Program.

Hope that helps!

Hi FreightDogs,
I'm wondering if those minimums are assuming all fixed wing experience? Ie. if someone started with 700TT in helicopters and then did all the required fixed wing addon certificates/ratings, applicable 135 fixed-wing experience, and 800TT would AmeriFlight consider them?