Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

ZippyNH 09-14-2018 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Continuingappch (Post 2673913)
Thanks - I was under the impression that most lines weren't nearly that much flying.

Depends on the customer...
Some fly barely 2 hrs a day, some do 100+ hrs a month.....some routes don't leave a state, some go up or down an entire coast, or half way across the x-country...
There are routes for time builders looking to fly like crazy, and there are routes for people just looking to make money, work a bit, and have lots of free time.
All comes down to the routes/bases.

frmrbuffdrvr 09-14-2018 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Continuingappch (Post 2673896)
Hey all - it's been my understanding that AMF flies single-pilot, other than in the E-120. However, I keep seeing references to 1900 FOs, Korean FOs, etc.

Of course things are always changing, but any insight on this - i.e. what bases/aircraft get FOs assigned?

What ZippyNH said.

The reference to Korean FOs is about a program we have in conjunction with KAL where South Korean folks who what to become airline pilots come to the US, gain their ratings at a flight school in Florida and then come fly with us until they reach 1000 hours TT. If they successfully complete the program, they are guaranteed an interview with the "regional" component of KAL.

The other FOs are a response to the pilot shortage. Pilots who reach our minimums (see past posts for the numbers) are hired on to fly right seat in our aircraft. Our Ops Specs allow them to log time in our aircraft that are rated for single pilot ops. Once they have gained sufficient experience, they are trained into the left seat of our BE99 aircraft as either VFR captains, Restricted IFR captains or Unrestricted IFR captains.

FlyingDawgg 09-14-2018 07:07 PM

Is it possible to hold a FO slot on the 1900 at DFW? I'm not one for moving out west or PR for the EMB-120.

frmrbuffdrvr 09-14-2018 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by FlyingDawgg (Post 2674443)
Is it possible to hold a FO slot on the 1900 at DFW? I'm not one for moving out west or PR for the EMB-120.

FOs don't actually "hold" slots. They are moved as needed to optimize their flight time to reach captain minimums. Now, if you already live in Dallas (or one of our other locations) they you may have some priority to operate out of there because it would lessen Ameriflight's cost. As a non-E120 FO, we cover your lodging and per diem at the locations we decide to place you.

FuturePilot79 09-15-2018 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr (Post 2674223)
What ZippyNH said.

The reference to Korean FOs is about a program we have in conjunction with KAL where South Korean folks who what to become airline pilots come to the US, gain their ratings at a flight school in Florida and then come fly with us until they reach 1000 hours TT. If they successfully complete the program, they are guaranteed an interview with the "regional" component of KAL.

The other FOs are a response to the pilot shortage. Pilots who reach our minimums (see past posts for the numbers) are hired on to fly right seat in our aircraft. Our Ops Specs allow them to log time in our aircraft that are rated for single pilot ops. Once they have gained sufficient experience, they are trained into the left seat of our BE99 aircraft as either VFR captains, Restricted IFR captains or Unrestricted IFR captains.

Are you referring to the Ameriflight program at Epic Flight Academy? I'm interested in doing that, especially since Ameriflight reimburses up to $60,000 of the training costs after 3 years through an agreement with them essentially making flight training free. The only problem is they don't really work with any lenders for those of us that need to finance it. Do you know if Ameriflight has any plans to sponsor flight training in the future instead of the reimbursement? I know having that happen is probably a pipe dream, but figured I'd ask. Thanks!

frmrbuffdrvr 09-16-2018 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by FuturePilot79 (Post 2674972)
Are you referring to the Ameriflight program at Epic Flight Academy? I'm interested in doing that, especially since Ameriflight reimburses up to $60,000 of the training costs after 3 years through an agreement with them essentially making flight training free. The only problem is they don't really work with any lenders for those of us that need to finance it. Do you know if Ameriflight has any plans to sponsor flight training in the future instead of the reimbursement? I know having that happen is probably a pipe dream, but figured I'd ask. Thanks!

The program with Epic is through their in-house financing. I haven't heard any specifics of other flight training but I believe we are looking at similar programs with other flight schools. I have no specifics however.

205driver 09-16-2018 09:25 PM

Hey Freight Dog/Former Buff (?) Driver,

What is the outlook for EMB120 SJU FO openings? I already live in PR and I am interested in sticking around for a few years. Assuming you count helicopter time, I should be at your mins by the end of the year. Are you hiring FO's at the minimum time or do I need something else to be competitive?

Thanks in advance!

frmrbuffdrvr 09-17-2018 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by 205driver (Post 2675592)
Hey Freight Dog/Former Buff (?) Driver,

What is the outlook for EMB120 SJU FO openings? I already live in PR and I am interested in sticking around for a few years. Assuming you count helicopter time, I should be at your mins by the end of the year. Are you hiring FO's at the minimum time or do I need something else to be competitive?

Thanks in advance!

There will definitely be openings at some point in the near future. Two of our current three FOs in BQN will be moving to the BE99 within the next month or two. I don't know what the word is on replacements for them, but there will always be new openings.

I don't know how rotor time comes into play. Our recruiting dept can give you a better answer on that.

BTW, the BUFF part of my name is because I flew B52s (also known as the BUFF) for the Air Force several years ago.

205driver 09-17-2018 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr (Post 2675658)
There will definitely be openings at some point in the near future. Two of our current three FOs in BQN will be moving to the BE99 within the next month or two. I don't know what the word is on replacements for them, but there will always be new openings.

I don't know how rotor time comes into play. Our recruiting dept can give you a better answer on that.

BTW, the BUFF part of my name is because I flew B52s (also known as the BUFF) for the Air Force several years ago.

Thanks for the info! I'll try to reach a recruiter.

B52?? Awesome! I'm glad it wasn't what I was thinking! But I wasn't going to judge. To each there own!

BravoPapa 09-17-2018 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by 205driver (Post 2676123)
B52?? Awesome! I'm glad it wasn't what I was thinking! But I wasn't going to judge. To each there own!

Yeah. You could go a lot of places with that. lol.