Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

Biggbird 10-25-2018 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by flyingsailor (Post 2697462)
How difficult/reasonable is the process to move to another base? For example at hire, if the base you desire isn't open (and go to one that is), but an opening does pop up in a few months at the one you desire?

Thats easy. Bids go out every month and list open equipment in each domicile. Say Be99-SLC or B1900-BUR. There have been alot of opening recently and sometimes there are multiple openings for the same aircraft in the same base. You can bid open equipment that you are qualified for in the desired base and as long as nobody 1. already in the base bids for that aircraft type or 2. someone that is senior to you at the company (but in a different base than what you are bidding for bids for it) you get it. There is an domicile commitment of 6 months for each move.

flyingsailor 10-25-2018 02:29 PM

Awesome. Thank you!

ZippyNH 10-25-2018 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by flyingsailor (Post 2697734)
Awesome. Thank you!

Many pilots also will also take a TDY, a temporary duty assignment for extra $$ to go to a different base...so there are some interesting possibilities for people flexible with locations.

flyingsailor 10-26-2018 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by ZippyNH (Post 2697845)
Many pilots also will also take a TDY, a temporary duty assignment for extra $$ to go to a different base...so there are some interesting possibilities for people flexible with locations.

Interesting.. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

Selfmade92 11-01-2018 01:26 PM

Quick Review for everyone considering AMF:

I'm a F/O on the 1900. The flying is pretty standard once you upgrade to CP. There's some medical/radio active runs that look really interesting and do about 7h a day. (about 5pm to 5am).
Most of the regular flying is starting at 5 am, fly to outstation arrive at around 7 am. Offload Cargo, done by UPS, I ain't touching that crap ( :p ), go to hotel, come back in 6h and fly back.

I like that schedule, as it gives you enough time to work on your online degree, work out in the gym, play a lot of PS4/XB1/PC and build time to go to your next step in your career, if it be the regionals, low cost carrier or Major. Most of the guys still go to the regionals, I wouldn't, but then I got some good amount of recommendations for JetBlue, and won't settle for anything less.

Moneywise:

ITS great! I make about $50k/yr as an F/O. 99 Captains probably will make up to 70k/yr, and 1900 Capts will make close to 100k 1st year.

Those include realistic numbers, as most runs pay extra, not just the standard 40 units per week.

Overall: Ameriflight is a GREAT company! I can only recommend it. Had great fun, the training captains take care of you, make sure you know what you're doing! And there's a reason AMF has that stigma around it of being the best training department in the industry!

AkAv8er 11-01-2018 01:38 PM

Hopeful Seattle Newb

Hello,

I’m moving to Seattle with the wife in the next month and am taking a hard look at Ameriflight. It looks like it could be a good fit with said wife (weekend warrior) but I have a few questions that are alluding me.

I’m looking at the beech 1900 captain posting at BFI. I have the min prerequisites but not a lot more. I’m hoping I can be a viable candidate but could be open to working into that role if nec.

I see that most schedules avg. 5 days a week maybe 60 hrs/mo. Is a schedule like that something to expect as a newb out of training? Would it be unrealistic to hope for most weekends off? About how many overnights a month are you all averaging (esp. newer folks)? Should I expect to be on reserve for a while out of training? If so how long does it take to get a line and how much flying are folks getting on reserve?

What kind of delay are people seeing between applying and an interview? What kind of time frame bet. a job offer and a start to training? I’ve heard that training is pretty intensive- maybe comparable to a regional airline. Is training usually a few months plus ioe?

Lastly just looking for more info on the aircraft. I’ve seen a lot of varying opinions on the a/c and equipment. I’ve flown g1000 caravans and Alaska bush planes with stacks you need to sweet talk and consider slapping around; I feel like I’ve seen both extremes. What kind of avionics are in the B1900s? Autopilots (besides FO)? Are you folks pretty happy with the maintenance program?

A pilot friend told me that Ameriflight may pay for your atp after a few years if the stars align. Is that true?

Thanks for any input.

Selfmade92 11-01-2018 02:25 PM

Yes, AMF will pay for your ATP once you move on to a Type rated equipment. So if you get to your recurrent 6 months later, they'll pay for your ATP-CTP and give you an ATP upon finishing your recurrent.

Most BE1900s have GTN750s and 650s, good autopilots. But the plane is so easy to fly, even without autpilot, I mostly fly it without autopilot as long as the flight is shorter than 1h.

Right now there shouldn't be a delay at all for 1900 people, the BE99 though is having a fairly significant delay as there are not enough trainers available.

As a new hire it will depend what days you'll have off, mostly on base. At the 2 bases I've been so far, everyone had Saturday and Sunday off, at Dallas most people also get one more day off during the week, sometimes 2, so you often only fly 3 days and are off 4. And still get paid 46 units a week.

Training itself is considered to be the toughest in the industry, they expect you to be fairly current, but they instated a MEICC course now,
which is a one week course of getting you back to speed on IFR procedures! It truly helped some people who had been rusty on IFR and I'm glad the company does that! Helps the succession rate!

EDIT: I did 95h in October on the BE1900! Most BE1900 runs probably average around 70h.

BravoPapa 11-01-2018 02:49 PM

Most BE1900s have GTN750s and 650s, good autopilots. But the plane is so easy to fly, even without autpilot, I mostly fly it without autopilot as long as the flight is shorter than 1h.
Do all of the planes have autopilots? How are the EMB 120s generally equipped that you come in as a FO on?

If you have to pay for the MEICC course, now much is it?

Selfmade92 11-01-2018 03:19 PM

MEICC is fully paid by AMF. They truly want you to succeed. They need you as much as you need them! Actually, they might need you more. :D

I don't fly the E120s, but they're all two crew and much better autopilots than the BE1900. The 1900 autpilot has track, heading and altitude hold.
Most captains fly the plane up to altitude with track or heading hold and engage altitude hold once at cruise, I still enjoy flying it all manually up to 25,000ft and then engage track and altitude hold. :D

The 1900 I fly has a GNS530W, most have GTN750s, I've heard we have some with KLN90 left. None left without GPS or autopilot. All autopilots work and all GPS work.

colonials13 11-01-2018 04:32 PM

Any idea when hiring will resume for FOs on the E-120?