Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

FreightDogs 02-15-2019 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by 927A (Post 2763204)
Hey FreightDogs, thanks for the quick response! You've been most helpful.

According to those numbers, I am well qualified, so my next question is how do I go about starting the application process? Also, how do I know when and where there are openings?

Can you shed any light on when the next round of FO hiring might be expected?

I'm still flying now as a CFI, e.g. gaining hours, is it possible to become "overqualified" for the FO position?

Thank you, thank you!

There aren't any First Officer openings right now. We just closed one we had open in Reno, NV. You can go ahead and shoot your resume and class/location availability to our First Officer recruiter, Kacie Freeman. Her email is [email protected]. That'll at least get you on her radar!

Keep an eye out at www.ameriflight.com/careers. That's where our new positions will show up! Also, if you have an Instagram, we typically post on our IG Stories when we have an FO opening since it's such a hot commodity.

We typically have our regular FO openings every two or so months as our current FOs upgrade. Sometimes more often. For example, we had three in December, one in January, and one in February.

Yes, you can be overqualified in a way. If you are closer to 750 TT, we'd want to put you in our ACP FO program instead of the regular FO program. If you are closer to 1,100 TT, we would want you to just gain the 100 needed to come in as a direct entry Captain. It kind of just depends on where you're at!

Hope that helps!

rftorp 02-16-2019 08:36 AM

I plan on applying this fall and will have about 730 hours by that time. I would like to start in the FO program to gain experience in the 120 with an eye to eventually becoming a 120 captain. Is that a possibility?
Also, I am concerned that the starting pay for an FO would make living on the west coast very difficult financially due to the high cost of living there. Any recommendations from those who have done it would be appreciated. TIA

Shimmyshimmy03 02-16-2019 10:14 AM

How does Ameriflight work with those Pilots who are still serving in the military in a part-time capacity? I'm looking to make the jump to a civilian career, and concurrently have a few more years that I'll be serving.

FreightDogs 02-18-2019 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by rftorp (Post 2765299)
I plan on applying this fall and will have about 730 hours by that time. I would like to start in the FO program to gain experience in the 120 with an eye to eventually becoming a 120 captain. Is that a possibility?
Also, I am concerned that the starting pay for an FO would make living on the west coast very difficult financially due to the high cost of living there. Any recommendations from those who have done it would be appreciated. TIA

Yes, it's definitely possible to start in one of our FO programs and make your way up to EMB120 Captain. With your current TT at 730, you'd be looking at our ACP FO position as your fastest way to get to Captain. You wouldn't go directly from FO to EMB120 Captain, though. You'd have to be Captain on two of our other aircraft first. Totally doable!

Average upgrade from FO to BE99 Captain is less than a year for the ACP positions.

Hope that helps! :)

FreightDogs 02-18-2019 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Shimmyshimmy03 (Post 2765341)
How does Ameriflight work with those Pilots who are still serving in the military in a part-time capacity? I'm looking to make the jump to a civilian career, and concurrently have a few more years that I'll be serving.

We fully support all military commitments! We have pilots in the reserve and guard that fly for us. We work with their military schedule and get them off to fulfill their commitment.
They work full time with us and a hold a line like our other pilots.

Hope that helps!

927A 02-18-2019 04:15 PM

, thanks again! I'll start getting stuff together and shoot that email out.

I did discover the careers page while I was waiting for a reply!

Good to know about being overqualified. If I'm not mistaken, the ACP time does NOT count towards ATP, but the EMB FO time does, correct?

erducky. You bring up a good point.

I don't have any specific preference for bases yet. Does anyone have any opinions on where the best EMB FO bases are? Do any hire more often than others? At which bases do FOs accrue hours more quickly? Which are the slowest?

927A 02-18-2019 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by FreightDogs (Post 2764893)
Thank you, thank you!

There aren't any First Officer openings right now. We just closed one we had open in Reno, NV. You can go ahead and shoot your resume and class/location availability to our First Officer recruiter, Kacie Freeman. Her email is [email protected]. That'll at least get you on her radar!

Keep an eye out at www.ameriflight.com/careers. That's where our new positions will show up! Also, if you have an Instagram, we typically post on our IG Stories when we have an FO opening since it's such a hot commodity.

We typically have our regular FO openings every two or so months as our current FOs upgrade. Sometimes more often. For example, we had three in December, one in January, and one in February.

Yes, you can be overqualified in a way. If you are closer to 750 TT, we'd want to put you in our ACP FO program instead of the regular FO program. If you are closer to 1,100 TT, we would want you to just gain the 100 needed to come in as a direct entry Captain. It kind of just depends on where you're at!

Hope that helps!

Good to know about being overqualified. If I'm not mistaken, the ACP time does NOT count towards ATP, but the EMB FO time does, correct?

I don't have any specific preference for bases yet. Does anyone have any opinions on where the best EMB FO bases are? Do any hire more often than others? At which bases do FOs accrue hours quickly? Which are the slowest?

927A 02-22-2019 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by 927A (Post 2766479)

I don't have any specific preference for bases yet. Does anyone have any opinions on where the best EMB FO bases are? Do any hire more often than others? At which bases do FOs accrue hours quickly? Which are the slowest?

I have a followup question,

How much actual flying do the FOs get to do?

frmrbuffdrvr 02-24-2019 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by 927A (Post 2768835)
I have a followup question,

How much actual flying do the FOs get to do?

If you are talking about straight flight hours, as much as the captain on the run.

If you are asking how much hands on, as an FO on our flights you should be getting somewhere near 50% or more. An FO flying with me, for example, can take every leg if they want. Provided there isn't a company prohibition about it. For example, an FO can only do the take off or landing if the visibility is 1SM or greater.

Now, there have been cases in the past where certain captains didn't allow the FO to handle the controls. If this were to happen, the FO needs to talk with their regional Chief Pilot. Other than the E120, where an FO is required by the certification of the aircraft, we have FOs to enable them to get time to become our next captains. For that reason, we want them to handle the controls, fly approaches, do just about every aspect of the flight so that when they have enough hours to be a captain, they will be safe and professional in that capacity.

FreightDogs 02-25-2019 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by 927A (Post 2766479)

Correct, the ACP time does not count towards your ATP. It just counts toward your Captain upgrade with Ameriflight. The big pro is that you'll become a Captain quicker than our regular FOs. And then of course be able to gain valuable PIC time.

Here's the list of EMB120 bases: BFI, ONT, PDX, PHX, BQN, and SLC
PDX and BQN probably hire the most often.
The routes at each base range in monthly flight hours, but I can list them from highest to lowest flight hours: BQN at around 90, SLC at around 45, BFI at around 40, PDX at around 35, ONT at around 30.
I'll list PHX separately as one of the routes is around 60 and the other is around 30.