Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

ThefiestyGOAT 01-07-2020 05:55 AM

I heard that the ACP program may be going away. Can you shed any light on that?

Messageman 01-07-2020 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by ThefiestyGOAT (Post 2952891)
I heard that the ACP program may be going away. Can you shed any light on that?

So I’m not there anymore, but I’ve been in contact some of my friends that still fly for AMF and just to sum up what’s happening there for anyone who may be thinking about applying.

Apparently after the yearly bonus this year it’s not happening anymore which makes Ameriflight the worst paid large UPS feeder.

They’re doing away with the ATP bonus that many of their pilots depend on for the flow programs that they hype up.

The ACP FO program is either dead or dying. Not sure exactly what that means but most likely less FOs and no upgrades at 1000 hours. They’ll need EMB-120 FOs but not any of the others.

They’ve cut the home base program nearly entirely, relying on line captains to fill gaps in coverage that would normally be filled with other line pilots. I’m not really understanding this but I heard that a lot of metro and home based captains that are left spent 8-10 weeks on the road with no time at home this peak. And that a lot of the other pilots are spending a week or more gone each month and then still working at the bases when they’re home. They have lost a lot of pilots and haven’t been able to replace them and management doesn’t see the writing on the wall.

Some of this is unconfirmed but I do know pilots are leaving in droves and after the bonus is paid this year likely a third or more of their current pilots will leave for greener pastures.

Be aware of what you’re getting into here, a lot of my friends who still work there have seen drastic quality of life changes in the past couple of years and it’s not getting better. If you absolutely want to work cargo, there’s other twin turbine feeders or come join the rest of us at one of the regionals where you’ll make the same money and get to be home more and get 121 time.

frmrbuffdrvr 01-08-2020 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Messageman (Post 2953143)
So I’m not there anymore, but I’ve been in contact some of my friends that still fly for AMF and just to sum up what’s happening there for anyone who may be thinking about applying.

Not there anymore, but felt strongly enough about sharing every negative think you could think of that you had to create a brand new username to do it. Classy.

Messageman 01-08-2020 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr (Post 2953551)
Not there anymore, but felt strongly enough about sharing every negative think you could think of that you had to create a brand new username to do it. Classy.

People deserve to know what they’re getting into and I don’t need anyone coming after me. You as a chief pilot should be able to shed light on each of these points instead of attacking me for sharing information. If you’d like to disprove any of them feel free.

own nav 01-08-2020 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Messageman (Post 2953633)
People deserve to know what they’re getting into and I don’t need anyone coming after me. You as a chief pilot should be able to shed light on each of these points instead of attacking me for sharing information. If you’d like to disprove any of them feel free.

You have nothing to gain by revealing your identity to him. The fact that he threw out an ad hominem without rebutting a single thing you said speaks volumes.

Messageman 01-08-2020 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by own nav (Post 2953647)
You have nothing to gain by revealing your identity to him. The fact that he threw out an ad hominem without rebutting a single thing you said speaks volumes.

And he’s one of the chief pilots so that speaks even more.

AnonymousAMF 01-11-2020 01:24 PM

If anyone has questions about what’s posted you can ask me. I’m leaving after the bonus though I’m a couple months because all of these rumors have been around for months and leadership hasn’t said anything. We got killed this peak because they don’t understand the times are changing and they aren’t competitive and we’re understaffed. Sad to see them posted here and TV not say they’re wrong. To me that means they’re all true and that’s sad.

Management still doesn’t understand it’s a pilots market. It’s caused ameriflight to lost very good pilots and even more will leave. Pretty soon they won’t be able to actually fly any of their routes.

frmrbuffdrvr 01-14-2020 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Messageman (Post 2953143)

Apparently after the yearly bonus this year it’s not happening anymore which makes Ameriflight the worst paid large UPS feeder.

I can state that I have not heard anything about renewing the Peak2Peak bonus. (And if you are talking about the old "turbine retention bonus", that was rolled into the base pay a couple of years ago so that any additional flight pay was at a higher than previous rate.) But without the P2P, I don't see where that makes AMF the "worst paid large UPS feeder." Basically because there aren't that many large UPS feeder operations and the ones I can find pay scales for, AMF has them beat even without the P2P bonus.

They’re doing away with the ATP bonus that many of their pilots depend on for the flow programs that they hype up.
Not true. In fact, there 2 pilots scheduled for the ATP/CTP course over the next month.

The ACP FO program is either dead or dying. Not sure exactly what that means but most likely less FOs and no upgrades at 1000 hours. They’ll need EMB-120 FOs but not any of the others.
Also not true. It has currently been cut back as we look at the program at how it is funded. But we are the only operator (that I am aware of) that currently has the exemption for captains to operate IFR under 135. And that has been useful for us as well as being a pathway for low time pilots to come here. We have never "needed" FOs in the other aircraft. We are willing to pay pilots to fly under our exemption program to get their hours with the expectation they will fly productively for us for a period of time.

They’ve cut the home base program nearly entirely, relying on line captains to fill gaps in coverage that would normally be filled with other line pilots. I’m not really understanding this but I heard that a lot of metro and home based captains that are left spent 8-10 weeks on the road with no time at home this peak. And that a lot of the other pilots are spending a week or more gone each month and then still working at the bases when they’re home. They have lost a lot of pilots and haven’t been able to replace them and management doesn’t see the writing on the wall.
It is true that we are no longer hiring pilots into the HBC program. The difficulty with the guys who have to go TDY is several are at or from bases where the runs have gone away. We have nothing directly for them to fly at the base they are (or were, in the case of a closed base) at and so they either would have to bid to another aircraft or base or go TDY. Or leave. Which is not, of course, our preference.

Messageman 01-16-2020 12:03 PM

So I was right?

no bonus means you should compare year one pay scales to other twin turbine feeders.

Ameriflight Beech 99 is $50000 a year and 1900 and metro is $67000. The 120 is 70000. Per diem doesn’t count because you rarely get it.

frieghtrunners pays beech 99 55000 and beech 1900 73000 and 120 gets 103000 not counting per diem. Huge difference there.

Alpine air gets Beech 99 49900 and beech 1900 64400. But they have a retention bonus that pays 7000 and their per diem is better so assume another 7000 for a total of 65000 and 78000. Sub air is in line with freight runners from what I know. Ameriflight is clearly last.

The ACP program is dying. The words you used proved that. That is management speak for we don’t want to or can’t pay for it.

You may have two atp right now but that doesn’t affect the future of the program and those probably were prior commitments. You did not address the future of it.

Pure floater captains are essential to the operation of a company. I know that you’ve been sending captains who don’t fit what you’ve been saying tdy. People who haven’t had their lines reduced at all or based closed.

Ive also talked to some of my friends still there and they haven’t heard any of this from management at all so as far as I’m concerned nothing changed here and applicants beware.

NewbiePilot 01-24-2020 07:16 PM

It seems that Ameriflight doesn’t find as much value in their Beech 99 Captains. According to the new bonus structure at least. I honestly wonder how many they’ll lose once the current captains collect their final peak to peak bonus soon. I guess we will find out. I’ll just wait patiently to see how many abandon ship and end up making the move to greener pastures. After all, losing the bonus officially puts them as the lowest paid 99 Captains when compared to their competitors. It seems to be a gamble, we'll see how it plays out.

I will say however, I recognize that Ameriflight is at least making an effort to still give bonuses to type rated captains. While it’s not as good as the old program that was canceled by UPS, I appreciate their attempt to at least retain some of the bonus structure in a new program.