Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

frmrbuffdrvr 02-12-2021 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by SonicFlyer (Post 3194284)
At 1200 hours do you automatically get upgraded out of the 120?

If you by "out of the 120" you mean into the BE99 and drop the 120 qual, maybe and maybe not. Depends on where you are based and if we still need FOs there. You will get upgraded to the BE99 captain position around 1200TT, provided you meet all part 135 mins (we had one FO recently that, while he had his 1200 TT, he was short of the 100 hours night.)

But we have had several FOs that have maintained their E120 qualification when they transition. It just depends on the overall staffing and if we are shorthanded in the FO positions at the time.

RogerUp 03-07-2021 10:34 PM

Ameriflight UPS Flight-Path

Hi everyone,

I'm a PPL student here aiming to be a cargo/airline pilot as a life goal. Have a couple questions in regard to Ameriflight's UPS FlightPath program and wonder if someone could help:
There are qualifications for the program. Is having a commercial pilot license with multi-engine and instrument rating the min. requirements to enroll it? Do I need to have any kind of recommendation from UPS management? I'm currently working for UPS in a different department.

I've graduated and got my master degree more than 2 years ago. Path II looks like requiring more flight time as a turboprop captain to start to program. Would it be a wise decision to enroll an undergraduate degree in community collage prior to starting the program at Ameriflight?

I have so many questions. Unfortunately, so far only the recruiting admin replied my email request. Hopefully someone familiar with this program could help me out. Many thanks!

QRH Bingo 03-09-2021 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by RogerUp (Post 3204100)
Hi everyone,

I'm a PPL student here aiming to be a cargo/airline pilot as a life goal. Have a couple questions in regard to Ameriflight's UPS FlightPath program and wonder if someone could help:
There are qualifications for the program. Is having a commercial pilot license with multi-engine and instrument rating the min. requirements to enroll it? Do I need to have any kind of recommendation from UPS management? I'm currently working for UPS in a different department.

I've graduated and got my master degree more than 2 years ago. Path II looks like requiring more flight time as a turboprop captain to start to program. Would it be a wise decision to enroll an undergraduate degree in community collage prior to starting the program at Ameriflight?

I have so many questions. Unfortunately, so far only the recruiting admin replied my email request. Hopefully someone familiar with this program could help me out. Many thanks!

I'm sorry I cannot help you with some of the specific hiring questions to start the process but I can at least give you an idea of what to expect while in the program.
You get hired on with UPS as an intern and work for them for at least 1 year (might be 2) and get paid $15/hr I think. During that time, you can build your flight hours so that you meet Ameriflight's FO minimum (500TT, 75 instrument, etc..). Then you work at Ameriflight as an FO (unless you meet PIC Mins) where they put you on the Brasilia, 1900 or Metro. When you meet PIC Mins you go into the Beech 99, then ideally you upgrade into a typed aircraft (1900 or Metro). I believe the minimum time required to be at Ameriflight is 3 years and then you get priority hiring back at UPS, it's not an automatic hire so keep your record clean.

A few things to consider; FO pay will be the same as your UPS intern pay (all the pay scales are on their website). Only the Brasilia is a 2 crew requirement so if you are put into the 1900 or Metro as an FO, that time will likely not count toward your ATP cert later on.

ZippyNH 03-09-2021 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by QRH Bingo (Post 3204632)
A few things to consider; FO pay will be the same as your UPS intern pay (all the pay scales are on their website). Only the Brasilia is a 2 crew requirement so if you are put into the 1900 or Metro as an FO, that time will likely not count toward your ATP cert later on.

just remember.... flying a 100+ hrs a month as a copilot in a metro if you get into the charter department will get you into a be-99 far faste,r, thus earning higher pay and building PIC time faster than 30-50 hrs a month in an emb-120 as a copilot ...but flying the emb-120 does check off a box for multi-crew aircraft if I recall correctly.
Like in all paths, sometimes you must look closely, and weight pro's and con's. Nothing is set in stone as the BEST route, and the needs of both the company and YOUR flexibility will play a role.
Keep an open mind, and understand that flying cargo is not like a typical airline job you can be commuter ....It works for some (willing to move a couple times, usually with each equipment change), but not others. (Family situations are most common, sometimes related to a spouse's job, etc).

TeamSasquatch 03-09-2021 12:01 PM

I believe the SIC PDP program now allows for that time to count towards the ATP mins. Obviously you’d have to be in the program and flying with the correct instructor captains. One of the newer 135 ops specs

desertfly3r 03-25-2021 05:02 PM

Anybody know if Ameriflight will start hiring BE99 PIC's in the near future?

frmrbuffdrvr 03-25-2021 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by desertfly3r (Post 3211519)
Anybody know if Ameriflight will start hiring BE99 PIC's in the near future?

Absolutely. We have 4 in training from the March Indoc class and 5 slated in the April class. Contact recruiting and get your stuff in.

desertfly3r 03-26-2021 06:33 AM

Will do, Thanks!

RogerUp 03-27-2021 07:13 AM

I'm sorry I cannot help you with some of the specific hiring questions to start the process but I can at least give you an idea of what to expect while in the program.
You get hired on with UPS as an intern and work for them for at least 1 year (might be 2) and get paid $15/hr I think. During that time, you can build your flight hours so that you meet Ameriflight's FO minimum (500TT, 75 instrument, etc..). Then you work at Ameriflight as an FO (unless you meet PIC Mins) where they put you on the Brasilia, 1900 or Metro. When you meet PIC Mins you go into the Beech 99, then ideally you upgrade into a typed aircraft (1900 or Metro). I believe the minimum time required to be at Ameriflight is 3 years and then you get priority hiring back at UPS, it's not an automatic hire so keep your record clean.

Hi QRH Bingo, thanks a lot for your comment! Sounds like a few years' patience will be needed before UPS hiring. I knew there is a Path II option which takes shorter period of time. But seems like that is for someone with more than adequate flight hours such as an existing airline pilot.

RogerUp 03-27-2021 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by ZippyNH (Post 3204722)
just remember.... flying a 100+ hrs a month as a copilot in a metro if you get into the charter department will get you into a be-99 far faste,r, thus earning higher pay and building PIC time faster than 30-50 hrs a month in an emb-120 as a copilot ...but flying the emb-120 does check off a box for multi-crew aircraft if I recall correctly.
Like in all paths, sometimes you must look closely, and weight pro's and con's. Nothing is set in stone as the BEST route, and the needs of both the company and YOUR flexibility will play a role.
Keep an open mind, and understand that flying cargo is not like a typical airline job you can be commuter ....It works for some (willing to move a couple times, usually with each equipment change), but not others. (Family situations are most common, sometimes related to a spouse's job, etc).

Thank you for the sincere suggestions, ZippyNH! I will take each one of these into consideration while choosing my career path. I met a FO from United Express said he's been waiting in Q for a while now to get an interview with a cargo airline. Is there really such a long line for pilot candidates during/after the pandemic?