Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

Oldog 01-09-2010 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by verticalspeed (Post 237869)
Thinking of going to work for Ameriflight. I'm currently employed by a 135 Canyon tour operator flying 402's. Can anybody give me an idea of what it's like working for the company. Do their aircraft have autopilots? What is a typical day like? Thanks

Unless qualifications are very high, new hires start in PA31s, work upward.

Almost all aircraft have autopilots -- range from S-Tec 30 (altitude and heading hold only) to 5-tube EFIS in Brasilias.

Most flights fly early morning from UPS, FedEx, or DHL hub to 1-2 smaller cities, layover all day (company provides hotel or apt), return in evening. Some trips are based at outstation, night layover at the hub. Other trips are day only, night only.

Preference, seniority, qualifications mostly determine assignment. Advancement is faster at some domiciles than others.

Luv2Rotate 01-09-2010 07:09 PM

{Almost all aircraft have autopilots}

Question is are they working? 135 cargo doesnt require autopilot for IFR ops. So they can be MEL'd for max of 120 days I believe.

BE24pilot 01-09-2010 09:00 PM

So quick question for all you AF guys and gals. How do your 121ers usually do. Do they have trouble going from a crew enviroment to a single pilot one? Also what do you need to go direct into the BE99? Lastly what are the chances to go direct to the PHX base.

propjunkie 01-09-2010 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by BE24pilot (Post 741367)
So quick question for all you AF guys and gals. How do your 121ers usually do. Do they have trouble going from a crew enviroment to a single pilot one? Also what do you need to go direct into the BE99? Lastly what are the chances to go direct to the PHX base.

you'll never get direct the 99. Back when we were short on pilots they would hire direct into the turbines but it will never happen any time soon. there are plenty of chieftain guys that will bid just about anything right now. Same story for the PHX base. it is senior due to majority of the a/c being turbine and the senior chieftain guys will want to take the little piston slots in hopes of upgrading sooner. Expect to get into the chieftain and probably the OAK or PDX base regardless of qualifications.

BE24pilot 01-10-2010 11:36 AM

Hey thanks for the info. How long is the upgrade these days to the turbine?

propjunkie 01-10-2010 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by BE24pilot (Post 741555)
Hey thanks for the info. How long is the upgrade these days to the turbine?

That depends mainly on you. If your willing to move to an outstation in the middle of nowhere you could hopefully expect an upgrade in 6-8 months. I wouldn't expect it in less than 6 months. I have also seen guys go directly to the metro from the PA31. If you have all the turbine time requirements for the metro theres a chance you could go direct to the metro and bypass the 99. I have seen it happen mainly in CVG because not much people want to move there.

freightdog 01-10-2010 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by BE24pilot (Post 741367)

I've heard around the water cooler that some of the 121ers are getting recalled soon to their respective airlines and can't wait to leave and they are not even going to honor their 1-year commitment. There is no loyalty/integrity any more.

I've seen a huge range from the 121ers. I've seen ones do quite excellent and others not so hot. The biggest area I've seen a deficiency is in their decision making.

undflyboy06 01-10-2010 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by freightdog (Post 741681)
I've heard around the water cooler that some of the 121ers are getting recalled soon to their respective airlines and can't wait to leave and they are not even going to honor their 1-year commitment. There is no loyalty/integrity any more.

I've seen a huge range from the 121ers. I've seen ones do quite excellent and others not so hot. The biggest area I've seen a deficiency is in their decision making.

Well I hope you are not referring to all of the 121ers. Some of us don't mind flying 135 when we come from the 121 world. Others can't stand the 135 world, but this being the only job that they could find decided to take it.

I came from the 121 world. This isn't my dream job, but I'm enjoying it immensely. I know that each of us have different perspectives, but if a better job then this one popped up you would be stupid not to take it.

I know some of those pilots that are deciding to go back to the 121 world. It’s their choice. If they want to break their 1 year training contract then so be it.

When it comes to no loyalty or integrity because they decided to leave before their one year, remember that they are being loyal to their first employer that had to let them go.

So please be careful next time when you’re referring to a whole group as having a deficiency in decision making please. Pilots from all groups make bad decisions, not just one group.

Scooter2525 01-11-2010 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Oldog (Post 741324)

Almost all aircraft have autopilots -- range from S-Tec 30 (altitude and heading hold only) to 5-tube EFIS in Brasilias.

Most flights fly early morning from UPS, FedEx, or DHL hub to 1-2 smaller cities, layover all day (company provides hotel or apt), return in evening. Some trips are based at outstation, night layover at the hub. Other trips are day only, night only.

I wouldn't go as far to say that "almost all aircraft". Some of the aircraft would be a more accurate way to put it.

As for the work, some bases fly a lot of bank work as well. PDX and OAK being examples.

TMoney 01-11-2010 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by undflyboy06 (Post 741811)

When it comes to no loyalty or integrity because they decided to leave before their one year, remember that they are being loyal to their first employer that had to let them go.

Who wants to stay loyal to a company that lets you go