Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

scjfly 01-12-2010 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Luv2Rotate (Post 743082)
Hey 208,

What situations would that be? Being 135 cargo you don't need an autopilot or an SIC in leu of an inoperable AP.

C079 - Allows lower than standard takeoff minima if two crew. I've been told this is why the FAA buys off on it.

freightdog 01-13-2010 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by IC ALL (Post 743018)
EagleJet and Keylime PFT programs?

I don't want to start another thread as there are a few Amflight guys active in this thread, but I'd like to hear Amflight pilot opinions on the below quote from another thread.

"The FAA has determined that the SIC pilots that participate in Key Lime's FO program cannot log the flight time. The First Officer program offered by Key Lime Air is not valid for the logging flight time. Key Lime Air has claimed the time is loggable. Key Lime Air has claimed the First Officer Program includes legally loggable SIC time."

Any Amflight guys hear anything new on logging PFT time? How would KeyLime's program vary from EagleJet?

I believe the Amflight ops specs allow for an F/O as long as the person has gone through company 135 training. This time has traditionally been legal to log with the FAA's blessing.

Before I answer, I want to see the documentation where the FAA states that KeyLime's SIC program is no good. Or at least give me a link to the document so I can peruse it myself.

To add another note: Being the largest Part 135 operator in the country, having a huge target on our backs, if the FO program was no good then the FAA would be coming down on us hard.

TransMach 01-13-2010 08:49 AM

AMF SIC Program

You can put anything in your log book that you want to! It's your log book. Heck, mine is nothing more than an aviation diary.

The FAA only requires a log (or detailed record) to document aeronautical experience required for the issuance of a certificate or rating under FAR Part 61 and/or to demonstrate recency of experience.

Prospective employer's, on the other hand, may or may not accept SIC flight time recorded in an airplane that doesn't require an SIC. In the past they generally have but with so many guys 'n gals on the street these days the prospective employer can be much more pickey.

TransMach

IC ALL 01-13-2010 10:10 AM

"Before I answer, I want to see the documentation where the FAA states that KeyLime's SIC program is no good."

So would I. If you search KeyLime for yesterday, you'll find comments made by another user, but he was unable provide evidence. Some of his posts may have been removed... Just wondering if the Amflight crowd had heard anything new.

nicholasblonde 01-13-2010 11:53 AM

I would think even if OpSpecs require an SIC for certain operations, you would legally only be allowed to log the SIC time in those specific conditions, because those are the only conditions in which an SIC is required.

I suppose for the purposes of people looking to get up to 135IFR mins, if you're going to fly 135 PIC for the same operation that you're doing PFT with, you're probably OK. However, if you're trying to use PFT time at some place like KeyLime with the intention of getting up to 135 mins for a different co., like Amflight or something, you're probably going to have a hard time explaining the SIC time in a Chieftan in an interview...

I'm not at Amflight, but I would think they'll turn their nose up at many of the countless furloughed 121 guys who are probably applying--many furloughed RJ FOs are going to be jet program grads with low PIC and spoiled by the Magic in the RJs....I would think a CFI with 1200 hours stands a better chance than a RJ FO with 2000 hours, where 1500 of those hours were gear monkey on an RJ

find a way 01-14-2010 05:43 PM

interview

im still waiting to schedule it, but does anyone have any good info on the interview process in CVG? sim details, hr questions, systems questions...ect. thanks!

jester 01-15-2010 09:00 AM

Pm

Find a way I sent you a PM.

Oldog 01-15-2010 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Luv2Rotate (Post 741329)
{Almost all aircraft have autopilots}

Question is are they working? 135 cargo doesnt require autopilot for IFR ops. So they can be MEL'd for max of 120 days I believe.

Yep, almost all of them are working. It sometimes takes time to get parts for some of the older autpilots in the PA-31s, we occasionally have hard-to-troubleshoot problems with the S-Tec autopilots in the Metros, and sometimes autopilots do what autopilots sometimes do: Quit working. So, in a fleet of 170 airplanes, sometimes some are MEL'd. But -- if they're busted, they fix 'em.

Autopilots aren't in the airplanes because of legal requirements. They're there because the company's management wants autopilots in the airplanes. The last fleet to get them is the BE-99s, delayed only because there was no currently viable autopilot STC'd to use in that airplane --so the company had to pay for an STC. That was finally obtained and a Fleet Campaign Directive is currently in progress to equip all the 99s. They're getting GNS-430Ws at the same time.

Oldog 01-15-2010 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Oldog (Post 745088)
Yep, almost all of them are working. It sometimes takes time to get parts for some of the older autpilots in the PA-31s, we occasionally have hard-to-troubleshoot problems with the S-Tec autopilots in the Metros, and sometimes autopilots do what autopilots sometimes do: Quit working. So, in a fleet of 170 airplanes, sometimes some are MEL'd. But -- if they're busted, they fix 'em.

Autopilots aren't in the airplanes because of legal requirements. They're there because the company's management wants autopilots in the airplanes. The last fleet to get them is the BE-99s, delayed only because there was no currently viable autopilot STC'd to use in that airplane --so the company had to pay for an STC. That was finally obtained and a Fleet Campaign Directive is currently in progress to equip all the 99s. They're getting GNS-430Ws at the same time.

P.S. -- re the MEL time limit, autopilots are a "C" item on the MEL -- 10 days. However, extensions are possible due to long-lead-time parts.

Oldog 01-15-2010 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by verticalspeed (Post 237869)
Thinking of going to work for Ameriflight. I'm currently employed by a 135 Canyon tour operator flying 402's. Can anybody give me an idea of what it's like working for the company. Do their aircraft have autopilots? What is a typical day like? Thanks

Re Ameriflight pilot jobs generally, it's a good idea to have a look at the website, Ameriflight.com. That's a good source of up-to-date info about the company, the hiring process, minimum qualifications, the equipment, domiciles, etc.