Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

IC ALL 01-21-2010 05:03 PM

There is IOE. My friend used to be a checkairman there.

freightdog 01-21-2010 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Stratapilot (Post 748854)
Question:

I (finally) meet the mins to apply, however, I am wondering about the training at Ameriflight. I understand they have a great simulator at Burbank, however, once you finish training and get to your base is it " Welcome to Portland! here's the manifest, now off you go", or is there something equating to IOE before they cut you loose on your own?

Almost all of our training is done on the line now, so there is a much smaller learning curve when you're finally cut loose to go fly NDB approaches on your own!

Stratapilot 01-21-2010 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by freightdog (Post 749019)
Almost all of our training is done on the line now, so there is a much smaller learning curve when you're finally cut loose to go fly NDB approaches on your own!

Ok Good. I feel better about applying now... It's been a LOOOOOONNG time since I've flown single pilot night IFR, and to be honest, I'm a little nervous about it. Glad to see they don't toss you off a cliff.

SIUav8er 01-21-2010 11:00 PM

NDB approaches? what! you mean they havent all been decommissioned yet? haha

polymox 01-22-2010 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Stratapilot (Post 749026)
Ok Good. I feel better about applying now... It's been a LOOOOOONNG time since I've flown single pilot night IFR, and to be honest, I'm a little nervous about it. Glad to see they don't toss you off a cliff.

If that's the case I wouldn't apply until you are comfortable. Spend some time with your favorite CFII or you aren't likely to make it through training, or even the interview sim. They expect you to be a competent IFR pilot, and only have to teach you how to fly their airplane.

Stratapilot 01-22-2010 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by polymox (Post 749306)
If that's the case I wouldn't apply until you are comfortable. Spend some time with your favorite CFII or you aren't likely to make it through training, or even the interview sim. They expect you to be a competent IFR pilot, and only have to teach you how to fly their airplane.

Let me rephrase that. It's been a LOOOOONG time since I've flown single pilot night ACTUAL IFR. I'm in Texas so bad weather days are hard to come by. I do approaches and holds all the time. It's not a proficiency issue, its more of a confidence issue. I'm sure once I start doing it on IOE, I'll get more comfortable.

Luv2Rotate 01-22-2010 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Stratapilot (Post 749360)
Let me rephrase that. It's been a LOOOOONG time since I've flown single pilot night ACTUAL IFR. I'm in Texas so bad weather days are hard to come by. I do approaches and holds all the time. It's not a proficiency issue, its more of a confidence issue. I'm sure once I start doing it on IOE, I'll get more comfortable.

Well you should always be on your A game and never be too comfortable shooting approaches more importantly, awareness is key.
In IOE you have someone sitting next to you. You'll gain confidence once you land after an approach down to mins and there was no one in the right seat. Will it be a bare knuckle experience? Sure it will, it was for us all at one point or another. Just keep the cool hand luke ;)

Stratapilot 01-22-2010 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Luv2Rotate (Post 749371)
Well you should always be on your A game and never be too comfortable shooting approaches more importantly, awareness is key.
In IOE you have someone sitting next to you. You'll gain confidence once you land after an approach down to mins and there was no one in the right seat. Will it be a bare knuckle experience? Sure it will, it was for us all at one point or another. Just keep the cool hand luke ;)

Keepin' the cool hand, boss

undflyboy06 01-22-2010 11:44 AM

It wasn't until I started flying for Ameriflight out of PDX when I actually shot an ILS down to absolute bare minimums; 1800 RVR, VV 100 and at night. That was fun. My legs were pretty weak after that landing.

Once you're able to do it once your confidence skyrockets. You should never relax, but you aren't as worried and able to concentrate on the approach more.

FlyingPirate 01-22-2010 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by undflyboy06 (Post 749408)
It wasn't until I started flying for Ameriflight out of PDX when I actually shot an ILS down to absolute bare minimums; 1800 RVR, VV 100 and at night. That was fun. My legs were pretty weak after that landing.

Once you're able to do it once your confidence skyrockets. You should never relax, but you aren't as worried and able to concentrate on the approach more.

I did one of those last week except I had to hold for an hour to let the RVR come up and I did it in a 210.