Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

dosbo 08-22-2010 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Captaindelay (Post 859369)
Where do Amflight pilots end up? After flying be99 for a year do they end up at Southwest like the company claims? I just want to know what is the next step from Amflight?

You need to do more research on the industry. But thanks for the laugh anyways.

Captaindelay 08-22-2010 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by dosbo (Post 859373)
You need to do more research on the industry. But thanks for the laugh anyways.

Why do you think I'm on here? Thanks for the great info! :D

dosbo 08-22-2010 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Captaindelay (Post 859377)
Why do you think I'm on here? Thanks for the great info! :D

Yea, I was being a smart a$$. :D

If Southwest is your target airline find some Southwest pilots and talk to them in person. See if they can give you more realistic expectations on what it takes to be competitive at their ailrline. You might even build some contacts while doing it. Remember what is posted on the qualifications page of any airline is the absolute minimum qualification, to be truly competetive usually requires quite a bit more. Also having an internal recomendation anywhere obviously will be a huge help.

If you are getting information from a recruiting agency, flight school or employer who is getting you to work cheaply that information should be highly suspect. There is no pilot shortage, only a shortage of pilots willing to work cheaply. Get your primary information from people who are actually flying for the company that you want to work for.

Most importantly, assume you may be at any job you take much longer than you plan. Sometimes things move quickly and your lucky, but most of the time they move slowly and Murphy is around the corner. Make sure you can live on what you make and that you are willing to stay there for awhile longer than you plan.

Also if you have a family make sure they are ready for the ride as well.

Captaindelay 08-22-2010 03:29 PM

Thanks for the info. I will definitely be asking some SW pilots what they think. I just thought that it was a little suspect how management talked about their really close relationship with southwest. I do still like amflight so far seems like a great company.

beech1980 08-22-2010 09:03 PM

Where do Amflight pilots end up? After flying be99 for a year do they end up at Southwest like the company claims? I just want to know what is the next step from Amflight?

Once you meet the hiring minimums you can go what ever route you want, its all about who and what you know! many of us former amflighters have gone on to legacies, lcc's, the big freight dogs ie; ups, fedex, and the fractionals. good luck!

dosbo 08-22-2010 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by beech1980 (Post 859572)
Once you meet the hiring minimums you can go what ever route you want, its all about who and what you know! many of us former amflighters have gone on to legacies, lcc's, the big freight dogs ie; ups, fedex, and the fractionals. good luck!

Just curious how far above the minimums you had to fly before getting picked up at the place you wanted to go to.

Luv2Rotate 08-23-2010 06:51 AM

Where do Amflight pilots end up? After flying be99 for a year do they end up at Southwest like the company claims??

I know its possible but not from the BE99 to the 737... My buddy is at Southwest and is a former AMF'er. He flew the BE99 for 2yrs 1900 for 2yrs and the Metro for 1yr before he went on to "heavy metal". thats 3yrs of flying in an airplane over 12,500lbs.
The main thing that helped him out was, he was willing to and did move where ever there was an opening for a bigger aircraft, such as an out station in podunk Oregon or Texas.

freightdog 08-23-2010 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Luv2Rotate (Post 859675)
I know its possible but not from the BE99 to the 737... My buddy is at Southwest and is a former AMF'er. He flew the BE99 for 2yrs 1900 for 2yrs and the Metro for 1yr before he went on to "heavy metal". thats 3yrs of flying in an airplane over 12,500lbs.
The main thing that helped him out was, he was willing to and did move where ever there was an opening for a bigger aircraft, such as an out station in podunk Oregon or Texas.

Talking to some SWA pilots while jumpseating or traveling for company business quite a few have flown for Ameriflight at some point in their careers. I have only heard of a handful of pilots going directly from AMF to SWA, but doesn't mean that it can't happen. Quite a few have gone to the regionals, LLCs, or fractionals before going to SWA. AMF definitely allows you the opportunity to get the time you need to be able to apply pretty much anywhere.

beech1980 08-23-2010 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by dosbo (Post 859575)
Just curious how far above the minimums you had to fly before getting picked up at the place you wanted to go to.

I got hired with one more hour more than the minimums. I knew where the next airline was I wanted to go when I got hired at amflight. I knew amflight wasnt gonna be my last stop just the beginning. so I used amflight as the stepping stone and time builder. I grew and built the necessary relationships to get to where I am now. It does work, you can't let the nay sayers drag you down!

Kenny Powers 08-24-2010 10:48 PM

Atp?

Sorry if this has been covered before, but say you get hired into the PA31 with ATP mins...can they give you the ATP ride in concurrence with the .293 initial checks, etc etc.

Thanks