Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Old 02-18-2016, 08:31 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2014

They need Metro pilots in MIA. I fly Metro here and if anyone wants info on the runs let me know.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:27 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: Left seat bizjet

Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
There is no way you will enjoy AMF as a 60 year old line pilot. It is a company built for young pilots making a young pilot wage. Especially as an FO... By all means give it a shot but I don't think you know what you're getting yourself into.

3K lbs loaded by hand in the back of a 99 in the summer is no joke. Hard physical labor. Though I was BSing the other evening with the guy currently on my old run and they had UPS minions loading at the outstation. Dunno if it is just my old run or a system wide change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2016, 10:57 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Default Ameriflight made me the pilot I am today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoPTPe33PQY

Because you guys are taking this way too seriously.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:09 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2016
Position: Cessna 172 CFI

Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
its never too late, in SKW most recent CRJ class there is a 63 year old retired engineer, just wanted to fly for a couple years, have seen many mid 50 somethings changing careers later in life.
I spoke with SKW and Horizion last year at the NW aviation conference near Seattle. They both said it was still possible for us older pilots. Probably won't make left seat but could still be an FO till we age out. A positive effect of the pilot shortage for us older pilots creating an opportunity where we might not have been able to otherwise.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:01 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by Flyinlynn View Post
I spoke with SKW and Horizion last year at the NW aviation conference near Seattle. They both said it was still possible for us older pilots. Probably won't make left seat but could still be an FO till we age out. A positive effect of the pilot shortage for us older pilots creating an opportunity where we might not have been able to otherwise.
Depending on the regional, if you were classes up today, could easily hit the left seat.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:42 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by LRSRanger View Post
3K lbs loaded by hand in the back of a 99 in the summer is no joke. Hard physical labor. Though I was BSing the other evening with the guy currently on my old run and they had UPS minions loading at the outstation. Dunno if it is just my old run or a system wide change.

We're working to get it system wide. AL asked the ACPs a couple weeks ago about where we had pilots being the primary loaders/unloaders because of a call from UPS. How much has been done so far because of that? I don't really know.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr View Post
We're working to get it system wide. AL asked the ACPs a couple weeks ago about where we had pilots being the primary loaders/unloaders because of a call from UPS. How much has been done so far because of that? I don't really know.
Problem is, that requires training, and it is pretty sketchy to have random people load an airplane up. There is no responsibility that will fall on the loader. If something happens, it is going to be the pilots butt on the line. I remember seeing that when issues would arise about incorrect weights. Sorry that UPS lied, you're still fired lol.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:05 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: Left seat bizjet

Problem is, that requires training, and it is pretty sketchy to have random people load an airplane up. There is no responsibility that will fall on the loader. If something happens, it is going to be the pilots butt on the line. I remember seeing that when issues would arise about incorrect weights. Sorry that UPS lied, you're still fired lol.

All true, but UPS loads the planes at the hubs too, and some of those folks... I called them "minimum wage rock stars" for a reason. In any case the pilot should closely supervise and then physically close and latch the doors themselves. And while I was there they retrained when someone gear upped a chieftain (according to what I heard), so I doubt a few pounds would get you fired.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:09 AM
Banned

All true, but UPS loads the planes at the hubs too, and some of those folks... I called them "minimum wage rock stars" for a reason. In any case the pilot should closely supervise and then physically close and latch the doors themselves. And while I was there they retrained when someone gear upped a chieftain (according to what I heard), so I doubt a few pounds would get you fired.

Hubs are one thing, the rest of the system is another... I always had good luck with the loaded at ONT, but they were certified and trained, as they would load us, then go a 757. But when you land at Imperial and the toothless van driver pulls up, he doesn't know about station weights, hell he doesn't even have a scale. At the end of the day if that guy loads the plane and puts a plane on the tail, the pilot will be in the unemployment line.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:38 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

I personally don't LET UPS close or latch my door. Heck, they aren't even supposed to open it.

Hubs are one thing, the rest of the system is another... I always had good luck with the loaded at ONT, but they were certified and trained, as they would load us, then go a 757. But when you land at Imperial and the toothless van driver pulls up, he doesn't know about station weights, hell he doesn't even have a scale. At the end of the day if that guy loads the plane and puts a plane on the tail, the pilot will be in the unemployment line.
The "secret" to a loader not setting a plane on its tail is making sure they load it the way you tell them to. If they don't have weights, then they need to get them. If there is no way they will bring a scale or have the work divided into groups that can fit in individual bays or in a center load zone, tell the ops manager you need a scale in the plane.

When I first went TDY to BUF last year they weren't doing anything but bringing out a total weight and just throwing it in the plane. I was told the scale was broken and UPS refused to fix it. I said fine. If everything would fit in the center load zone, I would take it. But if it wouldn't, they needed to find a way to tell me how much of the total wasn't in that zone. If that meant they had to take the remainder in the can back to primary scale so be it. Even if it delayed the departure. Amazingly after a week of doing that the scale was fixed.