Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Old 03-02-2018, 09:51 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2017

Originally Posted by MiracleMets View Post
Recruiting said they would run my times by "Flight." I am assuming that means the flight department or something. Anyways, I never heard back. Upgrading at my regional in 6 months sounds better anyways. Good luck out there, Ameriflight.
Who did you speak to? I am still waiting too but it has only been a week. PM if you want.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:52 AM
Ameriflight

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by Iregretnothing View Post
Who did you speak to? I am still waiting too but it has only been a week. PM if you want.
If either of you would like me to check into it, feel free to send me a PM with your name and who you spoke with. Any other details you can provide would be helpful.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:12 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2010
Position: CRJ

I posted before about the F/O position needing 25h Multi.

But now since I'm at the PA-31 mins (VFR), besides the multi time, is that a hard requirement or would that be waivable?
Old 03-03-2018, 08:38 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2018

So I do have a quick question for you about a couple of the positions. I have about 520 hours now and am about to get my MEI, and by December of this year will be looking at the next step. Ameriflight makes a ton of sense for the next 5 years at least, maybe even longer. I live a couple hours away from omaha right now, but will be moving close to DFW in the next couple of years most likely. If I were to apply for a BE99 captain position in a year or so in Omaha, whats the likelihood of my ability to just travel to the position and stay on base for the time that I'll be required to be there? So not home basing, but not domiciled closer than 3 hours.

For a Beech 1900 captain position, if I came in with the required hours no problem except for the turbine time, would I still be considered? Or do I need to plan on getting that turbine time? The plan is to get to the Metro as soon as I can and settle in for awhile, maybe look at some of the flow agreements, but honestly I don't feel like moving on for awhile once I get there.

For religious reasons I don't work on sundays, and Ameriflight fits perfectly with that. If homebasing can also fit with that where I stay where I am and don't have to travel on sundays, I would be up for that too.

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2018, 01:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by Kansaspilot92 View Post
So I do have a quick question for you about a couple of the positions. I have about 520 hours now and am about to get my MEI, and by December of this year will be looking at the next step. Ameriflight makes a ton of sense for the next 5 years at least, maybe even longer. I live a couple hours away from omaha right now, but will be moving close to DFW in the next couple of years most likely. If I were to apply for a BE99 captain position in a year or so in Omaha, whats the likelihood of my ability to just travel to the position and stay on base for the time that I'll be required to be there? So not home basing, but not domiciled closer than 3 hours.

For a Beech 1900 captain position, if I came in with the required hours no problem except for the turbine time, would I still be considered? Or do I need to plan on getting that turbine time? The plan is to get to the Metro as soon as I can and settle in for awhile, maybe look at some of the flow agreements, but honestly I don't feel like moving on for awhile once I get there.

For religious reasons I don't work on sundays, and Ameriflight fits perfectly with that. If homebasing can also fit with that where I stay where I am and don't have to travel on sundays, I would be up for that too.

Thanks!
The unofficial info is as a home based captain you usually travel to your assignment on Sunday, work two weeks, the travel home on a Saturday, unless the trips you are covering also fly Saturday AM, then you might travel on Sunday.
Perhaps you might be able to ask for relief, maybe traveling early to your assignment, and paying for you hotel room, and not getting perdiem on that extra day, that way you are not being treated favorably or different.
Unfortunately air cargo flies 7 days a week, and to say you might never be REQUIRED to fly on ANY given day of the week might be impossible... Sometimes check rides, or ferry flights need to happen....
Having once dispatched for a company that had an Mennonite pilot that flew a regular scheduled run, sometimes it might work, but I am also suggesting that as Home based captain, we are kinda like the trouble shooters, we go here needed, and fly whatever routes are needed for 14 days, then get to go home for one or two weeks...we don't pick or choose, the company owns out time when on the road. Yes, it might be called a deal with the devil, but in exchange, we get lots of time at home, that is 100% ours to use.
With non home based positions, if you work a 14-16 duty day, would you be able to commute 3 hours BOTH ways and be safe and rested? Yes, I have known folks who have "camped out" at a location while looking for housing to save $$$, but fatigue is very dangerous.
Most folks would say NO...commuting more than an hour or 90 minutes is hard...suggesting anything else makes one question a persons judgement....,similarly, trying to sleep at an FBO at a destination might work a couple times, but it is certainty not a long time solution. You might find a roommate, or other "CRASH PAD" situation that might work.
I might suggest you take a long hard look at your goals, and what you are willing to do to accomplish them, since you are unlikely to find many others who will go through many hoops to help you so early in your career.
Not saying you can't accomplish what you want, but sometimes you must find a middle ground.
Good luck.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:46 AM
Ameriflight

Originally Posted by Selfmade92 View Post
I posted before about the F/O position needing 25h Multi.

But now since I'm at the PA-31 mins (VFR), besides the multi time, is that a hard requirement or would that be waivable?
Hi, there!

Yes, that's a hard requirement.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:25 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by FreightDogs View Post
Hi, there!

Yes, that's a hard requirement.
If and when you have the time I’d love to hear your take on my above post!

ZippyNH, I appreciate it, that helps with Home basing decisions. I’m not under any pretense it’ll be easy to avoid Sundays, just trying to see what’s out there and how to go about it!
Old 03-05-2018, 01:27 PM
Ameriflight

Originally Posted by Kansaspilot92 View Post

Thanks!
Hi, there!

The Home-Based schedule is 14/7/14/14. There would likely be times when you would have to travel to a base on a Sunday. I'm not sure if you count that as work or not. You wouldn't be operating an aircraft, you would just be on a commercial aircraft headed to a base for work the next day. We could guarantee that you do not have to operate an aircraft (fly one of our routes) on a Sunday - that's easy enough.

As far as "just travel to the position and stay on base" for Omaha, I'm not sure that would work. You would need a place to stay at night. But if you have a crash pad there, that would be good.

If you came in with the required 1900 hours, but were low on Turbine, it would just depend on how much you had and how much you were over in other categories. Ex. If you had tons of ME, you could be low on Turbine. Also, if it's an issue, we could put you in the 99 for a few months.

Once you move to DFW in the coming years, it would be easier for you. You could just take a normal route based out of DFW and come to work Monday-Friday.

Hope that helps!
Old 03-05-2018, 02:41 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by FreightDogs View Post
Hi, there!

The Home-Based schedule is 14/7/14/14. There would likely be times when you would have to travel to a base on a Sunday. I'm not sure if you count that as work or not. You wouldn't be operating an aircraft, you would just be on a commercial aircraft headed to a base for work the next day. We could guarantee that you do not have to operate an aircraft (fly one of our routes) on a Sunday - that's easy enough.

As far as "just travel to the position and stay on base" for Omaha, I'm not sure that would work. You would need a place to stay at night. But if you have a crash pad there, that would be good.

If you came in with the required 1900 hours, but were low on Turbine, it would just depend on how much you had and how much you were over in other categories. Ex. If you had tons of ME, you could be low on Turbine. Also, if it's an issue, we could put you in the 99 for a few months.

Once you move to DFW in the coming years, it would be easier for you. You could just take a normal route based out of DFW and come to work Monday-Friday.

Hope that helps!

That’s perfect, I think we are going to do DFW anyway. I am expecting to have greater than 500hours ME as I will be the primary multi instructor after my checkride, but 0 turbine time, which is the problem for going straight to the 1900.

I really appreciate the help!
Old 03-07-2018, 04:26 PM
On Reserve

So I'm new to all this but am interested in the flow agreements with Fed Ex if I were to get a job here, how does that work?