Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Old 04-10-2018, 11:35 AM
Ameriflight

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by A150K View Post
How has the ABQ operation adjusted to that? I'm a former amf pilot who was based there and the loading (i.e 100% on the pilots) of the Chieftains specifically was a common source of...umm..tension between pilots (mostly tdy's) and the UPS "loaders".
We worked with UPS and they now have two people coming out - a driver and a helper typically. It came down to communicating that we wanted our pilots to be pilots and not have to handle cargo. UPS has made a commitment to making that happen and the transition has been pretty smooth so far with us being able to communicate any issues effectively.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:15 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by FreightDogs View Post
We worked with UPS and they now have two people coming out - a driver and a helper typically. It came down to communicating that we wanted our pilots to be pilots and not have to handle cargo. UPS has made a commitment to making that happen and the transition has been pretty smooth so far with us being able to communicate any issues effectively.
What chain of custody is in place if the loaded load incorrectly? Is UPS training these drivers and helpers to properly load a given aircraft? I would imagine the pilot would still be canned if the plane was loaded incorrectly because they have the ultimate responsibility. Seems like a dangerous liability.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
What chain of custody is in place if the loaded load incorrectly? Is UPS training these drivers and helpers to properly load a given aircraft? I would imagine the pilot would still be canned if the plane was loaded incorrectly because they have the ultimate responsibility. Seems like a dangerous liability.
Always have to try to go negative, eh Jetlife?

The pilot is still responsible for how it is loaded. As in how much freight goes in each bay. UPS is responsible for the manual labor portion. If you just say "Load 'er up!" then you are a fool.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:24 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr View Post
Always have to try to go negative, eh Jetlife?

The pilot is still responsible for how it is loaded. As in how much freight goes in each bay. UPS is responsible for the manual labor portion. If you just say "Load 'er up!" then you are a fool.
Its not about being negative, it is about the way responsibility is placed. No training, no oversight. UPS lies and puts 500 extra pounds of cargo in a bay and drops the tail. Who gets in trouble?

It is an honest question, but given your response, I can see the old guard alive and well.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:23 AM
Ameriflight

The pilot supervises the loading for weight and balance reasons.
If we take a delay or cancellation because the pilot believes the job to have been done incorrectly, we do not blame the pilot and instead will likely put him in our safety spotlight.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:34 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2010
Position: CRJ

What's the pay for the captain accelerated program on the BE99? Same as the Captain or same as E120 F/O?
Old 04-11-2018, 12:59 PM
Ameriflight

Originally Posted by Selfmade92 View Post
What's the pay for the captain accelerated program on the BE99? Same as the Captain or same as E120 F/O?
Here's the pay layout:
While an FO in the program - $31,000
While a restricted Captain in the program - $44,000
While a regular unrestricted Captain in the program - $44,000
Old 04-11-2018, 02:43 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2010
Position: CRJ

sounds good, i've sent in my app
Old 04-11-2018, 03:20 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2017
Position: Freight Dog

Quote:

The pilot supervises the loading for weight and balance reasons.
If we take a delay or cancellation because the pilot believes the job to have been done incorrectly, we do not blame the pilot and instead will likely put him in our safety spotlight.

I would think that the pilot would/should want to supervise the loading, I know I did, when I flew package freight. Do you want to trust your life and aircraft to an unknown person that UPS may just have hired who may be totally unfamiliar with airplanes?
Old 04-11-2018, 03:41 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2017
Question

Originally Posted by FreightDogs View Post
Here's the pay layout:
While an FO in the program - $31,000
While a restricted Captain in the program - $44,000
While a regular unrestricted Captain in the program - $44,000
Is there crew housing in the bases? Meaning are there apartments where single crew members can get an apartment or house together or something like that?