Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 09:07 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2017
Position: Freight Dog

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr View Post
I never said it couldn't be done. And we have many more options than SWA these days.
I was told Ameriflight didn't like pilots to drive more that 1:20-1:30 to commute. (daily) True?
Old 05-13-2018, 06:21 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by endlessnight View Post
I was told Ameriflight didn't like pilots to drive more that 1:20-1:30 to commute. (daily) True?
Considering that most UPS runs have a 5-6 AM show time and return to the hub around 7-9 PM, an hour and a half drive each way between return and show only leaves you 3-5 hours at home. Let alone time to sleep. So it's not that we just don't want you to. It's flat out dangerous if you have to go more than that between daily runs. This isn't a job where you come in at 8 AM and leave at 5 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:35 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005

Keep in mind that AMF has lost pilots and planes to fatigue years ago. I’m sure they are more sensitive to fatigue in single pilot operations.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr View Post
Considering that most UPS runs have a 5-6 AM show time and return to the hub around 7-9 PM, an hour and a half drive each way between return and show only leaves you 3-5 hours at home. Let alone time to sleep. So it's not that we just don't want you to. It's flat out dangerous if you have to go more than that between daily runs. This isn't a job where you come in at 8 AM and leave at 5 PM.
+1
It's also a huge quality of life issue, and the better quality of life a person has, the safe and longer lived an employee will be, both emotionally and physically.
Many people shy away from out based runs, but to a person willing to move, they can be a GREAT way to save up some $$$ or pay off a student loan, etc.
I just got back from flying a out based run for two weeks in a smaller college town in the Pacfic NW...being in the "city" at night, small town day and weekend.
Saw rentals advertised for $400 an month for a one bedroom apartment or $700 for a two bedroom house with a carport is pretty cheap living...
Many pilots loved out based runs for years cause making big city $$$ while living in a smaller rural community can be a great idea deal for a year or two before it's gets old...
Frankly if a person likes to hunt, fish, hike, bike or ski, living year round in a location where people go to on vacation can be GREAT....heck some freight-dogs turn into lifetime freight-dogs due to THIS...have know more than a few.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:14 PM
Gets Weekends Off

If one is hired as a 500 hours copilot, do you need to have an IPC or be instrument proficient when hired? I noticed this at the site:

Week two is an instrument proficiency course called MEICC.

So does that take care of proficiency plus the fact you're going into the right seat and will be training then also?

Also, what is starting pay for the 500 hour copilot on the EMB 120?
Old 05-14-2018, 05:31 AM
Ameriflight

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by BravoPapa View Post
If one is hired as a 500 hours copilot, do you need to have an IPC or be instrument proficient when hired? I noticed this at the site:

Week two is an instrument proficiency course called MEICC.

So does that take care of proficiency plus the fact you're going into the right seat and will be training then also?

Also, what is starting pay for the 500 hour copilot on the EMB 120?
Yes, you still need a current IPC.
MEICC is just a refresher course to help you get through training if you're a little rusty.

Starting pay for the EMB120 as a First Officer is $31,000.

Hope that helps!
Old 05-14-2018, 07:01 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by FreightDogs View Post
MEICC is just a refresher course to help you get through training if you're a little rusty.

Hope that helps!
It does. Thanks!
Old 05-14-2018, 09:00 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2017

Originally Posted by FreightDogs View Post

Hope that helps!
What if you’re already instrument current?
Old 05-14-2018, 10:39 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by SoFloFlyer View Post
What if you’re already instrument current?
You still get to sit through the ground portions, but you MIGHT get to skip the simulator sessions.... basically it will give you more time to study for your aircraft specific ground school, making it less compressed, and less stressful.
If you are going through your first 135/121 ground school/Indoc, and aircraft specific training, it can best be described as "drinking from a fire hose" and a few half days of the MECC will be great if you arrive fully current.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:26 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2017

Originally Posted by ZippyNH View Post
You still get to sit through the ground portions, but you MIGHT get to skip the simulator sessions.... basically it will give you more time to study for your aircraft specific ground school, making it less compressed, and less stressful.
If you are going through your first 135/121 ground school/Indoc, and aircraft specific training, it can best be described as "drinking from a fire hose" and a few half days of the MECC will be great if you arrive fully current.
That’s a relief. I worked so to get my instrument rating that I have no plans on ever losing currency.