Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Ameriflight use autopilots?
Old 05-19-2018, 06:37 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by Kansaspilot92 View Post
Awesome thank you this clears up a lot!

Follow up questions would be- as a new BE99 captain at DFW, do I expect outstation runs(leave DFW evening return morning) out and back runs(out to one airport in the morning and immediate return no layover) or layover days(leave morning return evening)?

Just trying to get a handle on scheduling specifics and what to expect as the new guy and what to bid for. Still not in the professional pilot world as anything more than a CFI, so some of these terms are pretty confusing. Thanks!
Cargo is a bit different than the airlines when it comes to routes and bidding....in cargo you are typically hired for a specific route in many cases...when you get to that point in the interview, you can ask what is open...and can stay on that route till you give it up...it's not like a person can take it from you. In some cases pilots are hired as "system pilots" and don't hold a bid... home based pilots (usually more senior) and pilots building time to meet full 135 requirements VFR captains, etc are also like this....they go where needed.

Bidding is typically important when you upgrade, or want to move, maybe due to "route rut" or you find a run that gets more hours opens up, or maybe a place you prefer to spend your days/nights.

Some pilots prefer living in the base, good for travel and big town lifestyle, but more $$$ to live...others prefer out based runs that you fly into the hub for the night, but spend weekends at your station.
The advantage here is most smaller airports usually HAVE MUCH LOWER costs of living, sometimes you can get a comparable place to stay for less than 50%, but you are in a small town, with more limited travel a entertainment choices...but if you like the outdoors, it can be great, you make big city $$$, and get small town prices, and you can get most of your rest at the base in the company hotel/apartment, and have all day off to do what you want most of the day...you might need a nap..but you have options.
Yes, it's different than the airlines, but the lifestyle/job/bussines has been very good to many...
Some do it as a quick way to build time, others find life good enough and stay.
It's all about finding the right type of job for your personality and lifestyle needs/wants.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:37 AM
Ameriflight

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by endlessnight View Post
What can you tell us about the exam new hires get before indoc?
The exam is during InDoc, not before.
You get an assessment exam on day one to assess your knowledge. If you study the materials given to you before you come to InDoc, you should do fine.
The actual exam that "counts" is on Friday of InDoc (the first week of training). It's similar to that assessment test.

Hope that helps!
Old 05-21-2018, 08:40 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2011
Default eaa osh

I am looking at possibly heading to EAA Oshkosh this summer. I see that Ameriflight will be there recruiting. Is this an opportunity to speak with recruiter and possibly pilots? Just at a booth? Thanks.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:42 AM
Ameriflight

Originally Posted by 29singlespeed View Post
I am looking at possibly heading to EAA Oshkosh this summer. I see that Ameriflight will be there recruiting. Is this an opportunity to speak with recruiter and possibly pilots? Just at a booth? Thanks.
Yes, we'll be there every day all day!
We'll have recruiters and pilots there.
And yes, at booth C36 in the EAA Education/Career Center.

Last edited by FreightDogs; 05-21-2018 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Forgot some info.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:45 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2011

Originally Posted by FreightDogs View Post
Yes, we'll be there every day all day!
We'll have both recruiters and pilots there.
Excellent. I likely wont be in a suit and tie being summer in WI but hope to make it work out to be there towards the end of the week. Currently flying VFR 135 that ends in Sept.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:47 AM
Ameriflight

Originally Posted by 29singlespeed View Post
Excellent. I likely wont be in a suit and tie being summer in WI but hope to make it work out to be there towards the end of the week. Currently flying VFR 135 that ends in Sept.
No worries!
We won't be in suits and ties either!

We hope you can come and definitely hope to meet ya!
Old 05-21-2018, 09:17 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2016

Freightdogs, on the Ameriflight Jobs page I see a pa31 position in NM listed with IFR mins. Is this corrected? I thought the PA31 was operated under VFR.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:29 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2017
Position: Freight Dog

Originally Posted by FreightDogs View Post
The exam is during InDoc, not before.

Hope that helps!
It does, thanks!
Old 05-21-2018, 12:55 PM
Ameriflight

Originally Posted by tonsterboy5 View Post
Freightdogs, on the Ameriflight Jobs page I see a pa31 position in NM listed with IFR mins. Is this corrected? I thought the PA31 was operated under VFR.
Hi, there!

Most of our PA31s in ABQ are operated under VFR, but that one is an IFR position. We need a few of those in ABQ.
Feel free to apply for it if you meet VFR, but it's mainly for IFR pilots.

Hope that helps!